imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zombie Survival - Choice of Firearm (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=248)

k9870 05-18-2009 01:25 AM

Gunmaster, Im saying zombies that are people gone crazy de to a chemical or disease or something are feasible, Yo could even make the feral humans slow by saying that the disease impairs motor functions or something, and maybe they dont eat people , just kill them, seeing them as a threat since they're different? You should just try to be as original as possible. I have a scenario I like, Ill post it soon. BTW, you going to make sure the c96 gets its first zombie movie role? And make sure some wheelguns are used? I LOVE wheelguns and want to see them in action more

Yournamehere 05-18-2009 01:34 AM

I think of a new zombie plot at least once a month, but I do not have the means to make a movie. Also, are you sure it's a smart idea to be shooting real/realistic looking guns at all your friends? How "sanctioned" are you for this?

ManiacallyChallenged 05-18-2009 02:29 AM

My idea about zombies is that they are pretty much drunk people.
Higher functions impaired, and motor skills somewhat diminished, but they are still family animals and hunt/gather.
But that makes them very non-threatening.
So, go all out. Stumbly, shambly, hungry little buggers.
Corn syrup are red dye is probably better indeed, now that you mention it.
But don't try to rig your own explosives to them.
Also: Don't saw the top off of a shotgun shell and remove the pellets. That is totally not a blank.

Gunmaster45 05-18-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

But don't try to rig your own explosives to them.
Also: Don't saw the top off of a shotgun shell and remove the pellets. That is totally not a blank.
I hope you don't think I'm THAT stupid. Obviously putting a mini-explosive on a person is a bad idea.

And I definately don't plan on sawing the tops off shotgun blanks. My dad and I use a reloading press and spent shells. Since to retain the powder shells are packed with a dangerous plastic wad (that becomes a projectile when the round is fired), I'm waiting on MPM's pics he said he'd take to show me how to propely install cardboard wads to the reloading process, which is far safer. Without a wad the powder would be too loose and not fire properly. If I sawed the tops off the gun wouldn't cycle and the powder would fall out.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-18-2009 06:12 AM

It's just that I saw a thing about that once. The guy had a cardboard sheet under his shirt, but the plastic thing knocked him right on his ass.
:)
Surely you aren't a college student, ergo not prone to bad ideas.

k9870 05-18-2009 03:12 PM

Don't primers still amke a noise? I fired aquila powder free 22lr. Its just a primer. (dismal performance) It was pretty silent but you could sound edit.

Gunmaster45 05-18-2009 07:59 PM

Yeah, but I'm likely adding gun shot sounds in later, since cam corder sound sucks. Plus, it looks more real when firing blanks then just percussion caps.

Gunmaster45 05-18-2009 08:00 PM

BTW, I forgot about this, but they are stupid and slow during the day, but fast and feral at night.

k9870 05-18-2009 09:35 PM

If you did that, and had them go down from multiple torso shots, it would be cool. Im still against the headshots only idea, and besides, who would use a big old 10 ga when a 22 would be just as good?

ManiacallyChallenged 05-19-2009 12:17 AM

The theory is that a 10 gauge would fire enough pellets to guarantee a fatal head shot if anywhere remotely close to the target.
Each pellet (from buckshot at least) large enough and powerful enough to rival a 22 at close range.

Gunmaster45 05-19-2009 03:18 AM

And like I said, bodily harm won't kill them but it will injure them beyond mobility. A 10 Gauge round could crush the sternum or shatter a leg bone.

Plus, .22s are kind of boring. When people see a ten gauge, they get ready for some action.

Also, I have a scene where we shootout with religous zealots in a house, which we have choreagraphed pretty well. No zombies here, so we can show off some people on people CQB.

k9870 05-19-2009 03:33 AM

I just dont get how a shot to the heart wouldnt stop it, muscles need blood to operate. they, may, however, be resilient to pain and need so may shots to the torso that headshots are way more effective. Unless a spines hit, then it goes down.

Gunmaster45 05-19-2009 03:45 AM

How does a corpse walk around without a pulse and flowing blood? Zombies are not logical, so it doesn't matter to much to put logic in it.

Excalibur 05-19-2009 04:04 AM

The central nervous system controls actual movement of the body. A constant electrical charge from the brain passing through the body to move nerves, make muscles move. Even if you are dead with no pulse, a charge from an outside source can make your body move. What if the zombie virus has enough energy given to the brain to sort of shock the body into movement. It is never established if a zombie don't have a pulse or flowing blood, but they are technically dead since they are rotting.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-19-2009 07:34 AM

The scene I've always imagined in a zombie movie is as follows.

Zombies are flocking toward a building, and a reckless member of the group throws some dynamite at them. Unfortunately the blast shatters the windows on the building, rendering it's defensive capabilities somewhat inert.
So the group(6 people or more) forms into a line abreast formation and advances slowly on the remaining zombies firing an assortment of .22 rifles and various other readily available sporting arms.
The coolest shot would be a wide angle showing them moving forward with a line of muzzle flash blinking intermittently. The camera zooms backwards into the third story of the building while frightened non-combatants look on anxiously.
The sheer amount of firepower presented at the same time(like an American 180 split into multiple parts) destroys the group of zombies.

Excalibur 05-19-2009 07:36 AM

That's the thing about a zombie thing, everyone seems to think somehow an infection gets out and in no time at all, say over night like in Dawn of the Dead a LOT of people get infected and worse, every day people seem to not notice it or it catches the world completely off guard. It seems too convenient for the sake of plot that an entire world can be infected with zombies unless the virus is air borne or spread through rodents like rats or bugs like flies. If that;'s the case then no where is safe.

AlkoTanko 05-19-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 2883)
That's the thing about a zombie thing, everyone seems to think somehow an infection gets out and in no time at all, say over night like in Dawn of the Dead a LOT of people get infected and worse, every day people seem to not notice it or it catches the world completely off guard. It seems too convenient for the sake of plot that an entire world can be infected with zombies unless the virus is air borne or spread through rodents like rats or bugs like flies. If that;'s the case then no where is safe.

Well, people are now pretty aware of H1N1, but still new cases of infection are revealed each day.

Excalibur 05-19-2009 02:18 PM

Yeah...does anyone remember the Bird Flu?...What about SARS?....yeah did I.

k9870 05-19-2009 04:04 PM

I see this.....A city and a couple towns down in a valley, Where there is just a major highway leading in. The city's population is around 5000, with a couple thousand in the smaller suburb-like towns. Overall, small populations, cut off from the world almost. Some domestic terrorists start to attack first responders, burning fire trucks, ambulanc3es, ambushing police. Big firefights happen. While emergency workers are tied up, some well-armed terrorists, wearing gas masks and biosuits, move into the main city and release the virus in multiple parts. Most people are infected or slaughtered by the infected. The terrorists set up shop in a sturdy building, maybve the city hall. They watch as the city is taken out and infected swarm to surrounding towns. The military sees emergency calls and seals the valley, easily by blocking the highway and shooting any zombies that make it that far.In One of the towns Ill have a group of neighbors and friends from different backgrounds band together. They fight zombies, yes, some religious zealot types, and the terrorists. You have all the elememnts for a friggin sweet game too. Ill come up with a character/weapon list later.

As for the zombies, they are infected people, there mind has been taken by the virus and they are very instinctual. They can be killed by any conventional means, they are jst somewhat harder to take down as they don't feel pain and even a shot to the heart will take a few seconds to down them until they bleed out. Spine/head shots are the only "instant" kills, unless you hit them with enough firepower to destroy them. Their speed is medium, they are not the slow zombies that just walk around but they are not fast either, kind of sluggish and confused.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-19-2009 10:06 PM

K870: that sounds like the plot of Dead Rising, only WAY better. Dead Rising was ridiculous.

k9870 05-19-2009 11:24 PM

Of course I have no mall, just suburban neighborhoods. And the military is good, just holding back since they have no idea whats going on.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-19-2009 11:31 PM

Yeah, the mall was... just... blah.
But I guess it worked for their side story, what with the whole consumer culture parody stuff.

k9870 05-19-2009 11:39 PM

Malls have been done to death. I want a regular scenario, some newer type zombies, and as mch realism as possible.

k9870 05-20-2009 10:38 PM

Characters:

(yes based on me and people I know)

Three guys who live in an apartment, in college or just starting jobs, one is a Police officer, who likes more hunting style guns. Carries a TRP on duty and a Dan Wesson CBOB off dty, j-frame backup revolver, and has a collection of Shotguns/rifles. He likes his winchester 1912 trench gun, marlin 1894c and Savage 16 weatehr warrior 308. His only semis are a patrol m-4gery he doesn't really like and a trusty ruger ranch rifle he got from his friend. Close weapon is an asp baton. Expert marksman.

Second: A shooter who likes to collect C&R guns, doesn't really like newer styles. He hunts with a SMLE, carries a 1917 new service and has his preferre dlger carbine with drum mag. Has some more modern C&r guns like cz-52s and a makarov. Likes his broomhanle too. He is strong and able to break down doors and lay beatdowns on zombies. Known to dal wield however, especially with his c96 and type 17.

third: Works in a sporting goods store and gets good deals on rger and walther so gets guns from them. Prefers To use what he gets a discount on. Has a ruger sr-556, A walther p99 and a LCP and LCR. MArtial arts fan, owns a katana and seevral other blades, specializes in stealth.

Fourth: Their friend, a military member who prefers tactical guns. Has a DSA FAL, PTR-91, M1a, And an AR set up like an m16a2 and a saiga 12 with 20 round drums.. Carries a decked out beretta 96. Specializes in overwhelming firepower.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-21-2009 02:12 AM

Hate to be a downer, but I find it hard to take anyone using a Mauser C96 seriously anymore. Possibly due to Resident Evil 4.
Not to mention that dual wielding it would be goofy looking. Nothing goes well with a C96.

k9870 05-21-2009 02:31 AM

Yeah I just think it would be cool to see someone dual wield them, one of my friends thinks its the gretest gun, I know its outdated but still think its cool.

Gunmaster45 05-21-2009 11:44 PM

The 7.63 pistol round is pretty effective. I think its dumb that the sights go up to 1000m, who aims that far with a pistol? Even with a stock likes like being a sniper with a submachine gun, and even then, an SMG has a longer barrel!

Older period set films can pull off using it and making it look cool, but today's film has more modern firearms. Like in both Mummy movies people got away with using two C96 Mausers at a time.

There's no way their use would be effective akimbo though, since they need to be reloaded with stripper clips so you'd inevitabley drop one to reload.

k9870 05-21-2009 11:59 PM

Couldn't reload reglar ones akimbo either, at least one would need to be holstered unless you have a third arm. And I'd want a lot Of C&R guns used, like when you meet more survivors hand out the SMLES/Mosins/Webleys/cz52s.

Yournamehere 05-22-2009 12:03 AM

Alls I know is that I'd want an M16A1 or (preferably) a 733 built on an A1 brass deflector receiver, zombies or otherwise. The pistol is a toss up between a Glock 17, Beretta 92FS or a SIG P226, and more than likely the Glock, just cause it can hold far more bullets and weighs the least.

Right now, I am completely obsessed with the Colt 733. Modern yet retro, compact yet big hitting. It's the American Krinkov, and perfect for most close and medium range combat. It even makes the M4 look unwieldly too. God do I want one of these.

k9870 05-22-2009 12:11 AM

I would never, NEVER take an m16a1. I may slap an LWRC piston upper on an A1 lower but never the a1.

Excalibur 05-22-2009 04:19 PM

Same here. I would never actually use an old fashion first generation M16A1. I prefer the A2 model over any of the other ones.

I'd prefer to slap a shorter barrel onto an A2 lower because I like to get a burst fire than full auto.

Gunmaster45 05-22-2009 08:45 PM

I think the A2 is a little too heavy (9lbs is a little hefty) and long (which is bad for inside where the zombies can grab you quickly) so I'd say the M4A1 carbine or the Colt 933 would seem like better choices.

Excalibur 05-23-2009 05:44 AM

No, you'd want range and acccuracy with a rifle. Sure an M4 or shorty is good for CQB, but when facing zombies, it's mute point to go indoors or close quarters with a rifle. And the M4 as much of a sweet carbine it is, accuracy can't beat a full length M16 and an A2 really isn;t that heavy once you get used to it

If you go inside a building, it's shotgun all the way or handguns.

Yournamehere 05-23-2009 06:16 PM

Yeah but I am talking about a gun that is most efficient without having to carry a whole other weapon system. I don't want to carry my Carbine and THEN a shotgun too. Not only do we have two guns, but two ammo types to carry as well, and shotgun ammo is bulky and a bit heavy if you carry a lot of it, along with magazines for two other guns. Also, the accuracy point is void as we're not trying to kill zombies from hundreds of yards away, we're talking close to medium ranges, or whatever is necessary to keep you alive, not at the top of the zombie killing scoreboards.

I do admit that a handgun is probably the best idea for indoors, as they are a lot smaller and easier to maneuver than any long gun, but it doesn't hurt to have a 30+1 rifle that can do the job at the sacrifice of a little movement gone.

Gunmaster45 05-23-2009 07:33 PM

Meh, the Law Enforcement Carbine worked well for Robert Neville, I think a similair weapon would work fine for me. You guys talk about the accuracy of an M16A2 to an M4A1 Carbine as if one is a rifle and another is a smooth bore musket. Both have the ability to hit something at a decent range, except one is heavier and longer. Maybe if I'm sniping zombies from a water tower I'd use an A2 but I think an M4A1 would work fine. I'd also carry a Mossberg 500 Cruiser (probably stuck in my supply bag as a backpack gun) and a 1911.

Yournamehere 05-23-2009 09:53 PM

I understand and appreciate your clever use of hperbole, GM, but I am saying the accuracy differs from both guns, but not greatly, nor greatly enough for a preference of the full size rifles. At good distance the 14.5 barreled guns will lose out to the 20 inch barreled guns, but the point I am making is that you don't need the accuracy at 3-400 yards that a full size gives you. We're talking 50 yards or less, so the carbines and supercarbines (11.5 inchers) win out because of increased mobility and similar if not the exact same accuracy at that distance that the bigger bulkier full sized rifles. I don't know where the cutoff point is for accuracy for the carbine, and how it compares to a full size, but I know that for the situation, the carbines are better. I only like the 11.5 inch supercarbines because they have only 3 inches of barrel gone, but the same sight radius, so you get more mobility without too much more accuracy sacrifice, as well as a better feel for point shooting if the situation calls for it. 733 is just a model number too, they are built off whatever M16 parts are left, so I could have one with a more reliable A2 or M4A1 upper if I really felt that the A1 was garbage. I just don't like the windage adjustment.

Excalibur 05-24-2009 05:23 AM

I guess in the end it boils down to if the zombies come right now. We'd be all stuck with whatever guns we have on us at the moment. I got my Desert Warrior and a couple hundred rounds of .45 ACP ammo. I can dream about getting an AR-15 rifle or a shotgun, but I am a long way from getting any of those. So, I'm just stuck with my handgun until I can by some chance stumble on someone else's rifle that I can steal.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-24-2009 11:07 PM

Jeez, if we're limited to the firearms we have RIGHT NOW I'd be pretty screwed.
I have a surplus Arisaka Type 99, and a very nice vintage .22 that belonged to my great grand-father, sadly without a firing pin currently.
So I have one functioning milsurp rifle with no ammo, and one non functioning plinker.
I will probably not make it past the first night.

Spartan198 05-25-2009 01:08 PM

Limited to the firearms we have now... well, I suppose I could use my airsoft M4A1 as a club... :p

I'd wait until the zombies swarm and kill that @$$hole that lives next door to me, then I'd wait for an opportunity to get a hold of that Kimber TLE II he got a few months ago. :cool:

k9870 05-25-2009 08:43 PM

I have an 870 a savage bolt .22 and a henry lever that cant hit anythin and jams all the time (sending it back). The base has m16s and sig 229s and a couple 240bs. My girlfriends dad has several 1911s and a 8 3/8in mod 29. I have friends w/ guns all over. Im set.