imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Could you make blank firing guns recoil? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=410)

k9870 07-25-2009 02:31 AM

Could you make blank firing guns recoil?

I was wondering, if you added some weight to the slie, so it had more force moving back, or made something like a reverse compensator, that pushed the barrel up, wold this be possible?

MT2008 07-25-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 4987)
I was wondering, if you added some weight to the slie, so it had more force moving back, or made something like a reverse compensator, that pushed the barrel up, wold this be possible?

Would that really increase recoil? Heavier pistols tend to have less recoil, not more recoil. Adding weight to the slide sounds to me like it would just interfere with the operation. Though I have no clue, as I've never tried it before.

Nyles 07-25-2009 06:14 AM

They already have trouble generating enough pressure from a blank to move the action, adding more weight would just make it that much more difficult. And again, weight soaks up recoil, so it wouldn't work.

Gunmaster45 07-25-2009 07:00 AM

The M60 has a heavy bolt, which is why it kicks when firing blanks in movies.

I wish they could develop a blank with recoil or some type of system to include recoil so guns would look more realistic in movies. Even if the actors could learn to fake it, that'd work.

gunguy001 07-25-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 4991)
The M60 has a heavy bolt, which is why it kicks when firing blanks in movies.

Depends who is firing the thing.

Quote:

I wish they could develop a blank with recoil or some type of system to include recoil so guns would look more realistic in movies. Even if the actors could learn to fake it, that'd work.
Actors faking recoil (limp wrist) is not a good thing as they absorb some of the pressure which could cause the gun to jam, also actors can't count, so they fake a recoil and "click" that looks bad.
I took a ballistic course in the army and if I remember correctly, recoil is caused by the projectile leaving the muzzle, that would be stage 15, stage 1 is primer igniting.

k9870 07-25-2009 04:34 PM

I htink a reverse compensator may work, pushing gas down to push barrel up.

Gunmaster45 07-25-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 5008)
I htink a reverse compensator may work, pushing gas down to push barrel up.

I don't think it would. Think, a normal compensator doesn't push the blank gun down when it is fired, why would a reverse one push it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunguy01 (Post 5008)
Actors faking recoil (limp wrist) is not a good thing as they absorb some of the pressure which could cause the gun to jam, also actors can't count, so they fake a recoil and "click" that looks bad.
I took a ballistic course in the army and if I remember correctly, recoil is caused by the projectile leaving the muzzle, that would be stage 15, stage 1 is primer igniting.

Sadly most actors can't do that crap right. I wish I was an actor, I know how to count and to fake recoil so it looks real. :D. I remember watching "Wyatt Earp" and Kevin Costner faked recoil on an empty chamber. :eek:

And of course, Newton's law (2nd or 3rd...) is that every reaction has an opposite and equal reaction, so recoil is pretty clearly the result of the bullet being shot from the gun. Blanks don't push out a bullet, so there isn't much or any recoil.

k9870 07-26-2009 01:20 AM

I wonder if you could alter non guns to fire some compressed air or other propellant? Im just brainstorm ways to make movies look more realistic.

Gunmaster45 07-26-2009 04:40 AM

Well I'm sure you're not the first, but I doubt filmakers are lining up to fix these inaccuraccies.

Phoenixent 07-26-2009 09:07 AM

We can make a blank gun kick like a mule but the actors would hate it as it would sting every take and since for many of those scenes there are multiple takes ranging from 3 to 23. That a lot of pounding on the actors for no reason. If you are noticing that there is no recoil then the movie is crap because you are focused on the weapon recoil and not the story. The other problem is that weapon would tear itself up as all the pressure in directed to the rear instead of balancing the pressure so only enough would be used to move the action. We do have shotgun loads that feel like a real load mainly used in semi-auto shotguns.

Remember if notice something so small on the screen like a weapon recoiling then maybe it's time to pick a movie directed by some else.