imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Spartan198 05-08-2013 06:10 AM

So is anyone else disappointed with the fact that the "reborn" Toonami consists mostly of shows that have already been part of AS' lineup at one point or another? I like Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, and Ghost in the Shell as much as any anime fan, but where are the block's more iconic shows like Dragonball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam (and its offshoots), Trigun, and Outlaw Star?

Evil Tim 05-08-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 (Post 38990)
Lost World got stymied mostly by the protagonists being horrible people (essentially the real villains of the piece) and endangering the hunters, to the point of pulling the powder from the elephant gun's ammo just to stick it to him....and then he couldn't defend the camp from a rampaging T-Rex.

Yeah, though I can't really get behind a hunter who only bothers to carry the two rounds he can load into his rifle with no spares, and then doesn't check his weapon after leaving it unattended near a guy he knows wants to screw around with it. Everyone in that film is a complete moron at least once, Roland is just a moron the smallest number of times.

Spartan198 05-08-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38994)
and then doesn't check his weapon after leaving it unattended near a guy he knows wants to screw around with it.

That in particular always bugged me. Anyone, not just a hunter, whose life depended on his weapon wouldn't rightfully leave it out of hand.

Evil Tim 05-08-2013 11:34 AM

I mean the other thing would be: is the Earth First guy psychic or something? How could he possibly have known that Roland only carried two rounds for his rifle?

It's kind of funny that entire rampage in the second half of the film was because of our "heroes" messing the InGen guys around, since their actual plan was only to get herbivores. Nevermind the whole mess of the T-Rex escaping, killing the crew (including some in spaces smaller than the Rex's head) and then helpfully climbing back into the hold so one guy could close it back up well in sight of where the T-Rex would have had to go to get there.

I mean, I've heard the excuse that raptors got on board, but since the raptors are being used to kill off people the T-Rex can't get to, how does the T-Rex kill the raptors that are in places it can't get to? And if it doesn't kill them where are they supposed to have gone?

SPEMack618 05-08-2013 02:21 PM

I would sat up on Saturday night, or not go out to the bar if Toonami would show the Robotech series again.

In the book, I feel it germane to note, Muldoon was a drunk, but a functioning one, who took out a Raptor or two(I think) with some sort of grenade launcher.

The movies pretty much blow in regards to any sort of firearms. Jeff Cooper even said so.

If I'm the game warden for a place with dinosaurs, I'm going to carry me a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, and a Grizzly LAR in .45 Wing Mag.

And some sort of semi-automatic, preferably shooting .308 solids, in my Jeep for Raptors and such.

funkychinaman 05-08-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38997)
I would sat up on Saturday night, or not go out to the bar if Toonami would show the Robotech series again.

In the book, I feel it germane to note, Muldoon was a drunk, but a functioning one, who took out a Raptor or two(I think) with some sort of grenade launcher.

The movies pretty much blow in regards to any sort of firearms. Jeff Cooper even said so.

If I'm the game warden for a place with dinosaurs, I'm going to carry me a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, and a Grizzly LAR in .45 Wing Mag.

And some sort of semi-automatic, preferably shooting .308 solids, in my Jeep for Raptors and such.

Alas, Netflix just took Robotech off of Instant View. I watched a few episodes, and it just doesn't hold up that well. I also watched a few episodes of the remastered Macross series, and while the animation is the same, I think the original score is better than the Robotech score.

SPEMack618 05-08-2013 03:40 PM

Ah, well then perhaps it is best I remember it through the tinted lenses of nostalgia.

Found some old Johnny Quest tapes I had...suprisingly, the 1960s version has aged well.

The newer stuff....not so much.

funkychinaman 05-08-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38999)
Ah, well then perhaps it is best I remember it through the tinted lenses of nostalgia.

Found some old Johnny Quest tapes I had...suprisingly, the 1960s version has aged well.

I don't know if I could watch Johnny Quest after watching Venture Brothers. (BTW, I'd do a Venture Brothers page in a heartbeat if it were eligible.)

SPEMack618 05-08-2013 04:39 PM

You know it's funny, watched Venture Brothers a little bit when it first came on, loved it, probably, because I was such an ardent Johnny Quest fan growing up.

Evil Tim 05-08-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38999)

It always cracked me up where he's running away from an A-10 in the intro to the newer series and it's somehow landing shots either side of him.

S&Wshooter 05-08-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38997)

http://www.dsarms.com/images/SA58PCONGO.gif

funkychinaman 05-08-2013 08:21 PM

Gamefly had Colonial Marines for $10 used and I pulled the trigger. Yes, I know the reviews were horrible, but for ten bucks, what the hell. (Ten bucks used, and it hasn't even been out three months yet. Yikes.)

Evil Tim 05-08-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39004)
Gamefly had Colonial Marines for $10 used and I pulled the trigger. Yes, I know the reviews were horrible, but for ten bucks, what the hell. (Ten bucks used, and it hasn't even been out three months yet. Yikes.)

The PC version has already had a patch that's almost as big as the install itself to make the textures not-awful and another one the other day added SSAO. Now if only they could patch out the actual gameplay...

funkychinaman 05-08-2013 08:30 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0CS2A220130507

Another wrinkle in our video game/licensed weapon discussion.

Excalibur 05-08-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39005)
The PC version has already had a patch that's almost as big as the install itself to make the textures not-awful and another one the other day added SSAO. Now if only they could patch out the actual gameplay...

Spend 10 bucks on Deus Ex Human Revolution used and get a better deal

Evil Tim 05-08-2013 09:51 PM

Eh, EA's probably feeling the financial hurt recently from a series of heavy-duty titles failing to meet their expectations. Origin is wobbling on the "at least it's better than uPlay" front, Crysis 3 sold horribly, Warfighter was a bust, SimCity was an utter fiasco, Dead Space 3 didn't do as well as they'd hoped, Mass Effect 3 got slammed even though it sold well, I don't think the recent Army of Two did all that well...

I think their only titles currently not either failing horribly or being hated by all and sundry are their diminishing-returns sports franchises and Battlefield, so they're probably trying to abuse that supreme court ruling that games are a form of protected speech to save some money.

Rockwolf66 05-08-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39009)
Eh, EA's probably feeling the financial hurt recently from a series of heavy-duty titles failing to meet their expectations. Origin is wobbling on the "at least it's better than uPlay" front, Crysis 3 sold horribly, Warfighter was a bust, SimCity was an utter fiasco, Dead Space 3 didn't do as well as they'd hoped, Mass Effect 3 got slammed even though it sold well, I don't think the recent Army of Two did all that well...

I think their only titles currently not either failing horribly or being hated by all and sundry are their diminishing-returns sports franchises and Battlefield, so they're probably trying to abuse that supreme court ruling that games are a form of protected speech to save some money.

That game was not Army of Two. That game lacks just about everything that makes AOT. Someone in EA needs to get kneecapped badly.

funkychinaman 05-08-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 39010)
That game was not Army of Two. That game lacks just about everything that makes AOT. Someone in EA needs to get kneecapped badly.

I played the demo, it seemed pretty fun. It's certainly a graphical upgrade compared to the previous AoT game. I'm waiting for the price the drop.

SPEMack618 05-09-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39003)

I was thinking H&K-91, mainly because of my man Burt Gummer.

Further proof as to why the original Johnny Quest was bad-ass:

Race Bannon perpetually wears a Government Model in a shoulder holster. I like to think that Race would carry a .38 Super.

When things get bad, Race gets out a M-1928A1 Thompson.

When Race needs information from a woman, he sleeps with her. And calls it "pumping" her for information. I kid you not.

And this was from one, one episode.

If we ever decide that cartoons get pages, I'm doing "The Adventures of Johnny Quest."

Rockwolf66 05-09-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39011)
I played the demo, it seemed pretty fun. It's certainly a graphical upgrade compared to the previous AoT game. I'm waiting for the price the drop.

Graphics Upgrade yes.

There is a reason you are not playing as Salem and Rios and that reason sucks. They also removed Back to back and I'm not sure what else they have done yet.

TV Tropes has a lot of spoilers.

funkychinaman 05-09-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 39013)
Graphics Upgrade yes.

There is a reason you are not playing as Salem and Rios and that reason sucks. They also removed Back to back and I'm not sure what else they have done yet.

TV Tropes has a lot of spoilers.

Well, I was wondering how they were going to use Salem and Rios after what happened in the previous game.

Spartan198 05-09-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39002)
It always cracked me up where he's running away from an A-10 in the intro to the newer series and it's somehow landing shots either side of him.

It was actually Jesse riding a horse and an AH-64 firing at her.

SPEMack618 05-09-2013 01:09 PM

You are both right, gentlemen.

The shot begins with Johnny running away from an A-10 and then switches to Jesse racing towards and AH-64 on horseback and picking Johnny up, the A-10 no where to be seen.

Evil Tim 05-09-2013 01:18 PM

Yeah, Johnny Quest's "Real Adventures" in the intro seem to involve an enormous amount of military hardware mysteriously failing to kill him.

SPEMack618 05-09-2013 01:27 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. Which is especially odd considering, that with one of two exception, the Quest team most often was working FOR the military.

Now, occassionally the bad guys would have some outdated equipment, or surplus stuff, but nothing like a Hawg or Apache.

funkychinaman 05-10-2013 03:47 PM

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/09/fox-mulls-24-return/

Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern/slightly brown actors rejoice, 24 may be returning!

Swordfish941 05-11-2013 08:12 PM

I've just gotten into the Hueco Mundo arc of Bleach. And I have to say that I fucking love Nel.

Excalibur 05-12-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 39030)
I've just gotten into the Hueco Mundo arc of Bleach. And I have to say that I fucking love Nel.

Nel is just cute. Wait until you see the rest of the arc.

Bleach has lost me a long time ago, and when you get to the Fullbring arc, you'll understand

Swordfish941 05-12-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39031)
Nel is just cute. Wait until you see the rest of the arc.

Bleach has lost me a long time ago, and when you get to the Fullbring arc, you'll understand

I've gotten to the part where Grimmjow has his second rematch with Ichigo and Renji and Uryu are fighting Szayelaporro Granz, the second gayest Arrancar (the title of gayest Arrancar rightfully goes to Charlotte Cuulhorne in his release form).

Excalibur 05-12-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 39032)
I've gotten to the part where Grimmjow has his second rematch with Ichigo and Renji and Uryu are fighting Szayelaporro Granz, the second gayest Arrancar (the title of gayest Arrancar rightfully goes to Charlotte Cuulhorne in his release form).

I didn't need to be reminded of that

funkychinaman 05-13-2013 02:54 PM

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/kief...s-a-go-at-fox/

And it's official, 24 is back.

SPEMack618 05-13-2013 03:19 PM

And all it right with my world.

Yes, 24 is stupid, contrived, and at times down right idiotic, but I just can't not watch it.

funkychinaman 05-13-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 39040)
And all it right with my world.

Yes, 24 is stupid, contrived, and at times down right idiotic, but I just can't not watch it.

Quote:

The high-octane saga will reunite showrunner Howard Gordon with Sutherland and retain the real-time, pulse-pounding, fast-paced format with split screens and complex interweaving storylines, with 12 episodes representing 24 hours.
That's from the press release on Facebook. I can't tell if they mean 12 2 hour episodes, or they're going to compress two hours worth of story into a one hour episode. If they're going to do two hour episodes, I don't know why they don't just stretch it out over 24 episodes and take the ratings. If they're going to compress it, it sort of messes with the premise.

Excalibur 05-14-2013 04:29 AM

I just saw the trailer to Uwe Boll's latest movie...Assault on Wall Street, about a guy who goes on a shooting spree in Wall Street because he lost money. I shrugged and then made a page on the site about it.

funkychinaman 05-14-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39047)
I just saw the trailer to Uwe Boll's latest movie...Assault on Wall Street, about a guy who goes on a shooting spree in Wall Street because he lost money. I shrugged and then made a page on the site about it.

I've watched a lot of crappy films to finish incomplete pages on the site, but I draw the line at Uwe Boll movies.

Evil Tim 05-16-2013 06:43 AM

Getting bad feelings about the next Arkham game. Firstly it's by the guys who did the Wii U port of Arkham City instead of Rocksteady, second because they're already banging the drum about how the map's going to be twice as big even though if anything City's map tended towards being too big rather than too small.

funkychinaman 05-17-2013 05:57 PM

Amazon has decided to pass on the Zombieland series. The co-creator's Tweet only said it wasn't going to be on Amazon though, I suppose that leaves the door open for someone else to pick it up. If someone else does pick it up however, I hope they're willing to spend some more money.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/zombi...lot-wit,97890/

funkychinaman 05-18-2013 05:41 AM

This actually sounds like it'd be a pretty awesome movie, except for the Will Smith part.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...xclusive-91506

Excalibur 05-18-2013 01:51 PM

I just saw the new Star Trek and I liked it. Better than the previous movie in a lot of ways. As a Trek fan, I had to really ignore glaring plot holes carried over from the first movie, but this new one had more ignorable plot holes that I can bear with.

The Wierd It 05-18-2013 06:58 PM

Saw that today too.