imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Going Away for the Next 3 months (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=836)

AdAstra2009 01-04-2010 03:33 AM

Going Away for the Next 3 months

I'm leaving for Army Basic Training tomorrow morning so I will be away for the next 3 months. Hopefully I'm not back before that...because that would mean something bad.

...just letting you all know.

k9870 01-04-2010 03:37 AM

Good luck, bring lots of extra razors and shaving cream.

You doing MOS training right after basic? I thought basic was 8 for the army.

AdAstra2009 01-04-2010 03:43 AM

I'm doing Infantry so it's OSUT (one station unit training) -Basic and AIT/MOS school is contiguous.

9 weeks of Basic and 4 months of AIT

I'm not looking forward to it at all....worst that will happen is I will have an utter mental/morale breakdown and wash out.

-P.S. I'd appreciate if my user page is locked to prevent any vandalism while I'm away :)

Zulu Two Six 01-04-2010 04:21 AM

NOOO! YOU'RE GONNA BE GONE! IN INTERNET TIME THAT'S LIKE....A YEAR MAN! NOOO!

but really man..im gonna miss you. in a no-homo way.
so....work hard.
eat your vegies.
brush your teeth.
do good in school.
and floss.

you'll make it through man.

Spartan198 01-04-2010 04:59 AM

Good luck.

Markost 01-04-2010 02:42 PM

Good luck, enjoy your training.

Nyles 01-04-2010 03:20 PM

Number one basic training survival tip: Don't be first, don't be last, and never call attention to yourself. Be the grey man. Your staff should have to look at your name tag to know who you are.

k9870 01-04-2010 05:28 PM

The "dont volunteer" is bullshit, being quitet makes you stand out as a lazy asshole they want to light up. Laundry crew was legit, easy work and they left you alone.

Nyles 01-04-2010 05:55 PM

Excuse me? I don't think I like what you're implying. I've got 4 years in, I have been course staff, right now I'm a Corporal doing a Seargents job in an operational theatre, and I worked 14 hours today and will likely work 15 tommorow. Not what I would call lazy.

There's a big difference between keeping your head down and being a shit pump. Your staff will keep you plenty busy, just do what you're told, speak when you're spoken to and avoid any unnecessary attention. You trade course (MOS training to you Yanks) is the time to stand out, basic is about learning self-discipline and teamwork.

k9870 01-04-2010 06:29 PM

I remember in basic everyone had told me dont volunteer, sit back and be unnoticed. then you get lit up for being lazy when you dont volunteer. Teh people who had volunteered are inside getting their work done while youre pushing the deck. Im saying in basic volunteer for the little jobs like laundry crew, staying back to clean the barracks, etc. All im saying is the advice many people gave me never helped.

Advice that would help is

bring Extra socks, razors, shaving cream, the little tide stain pens, etc, betetr ways to keep hold of your stuff (so many people take your crap.) etc.