imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

MT2008 06-15-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30369)
I recall right when it was first being rumoured in 2000, the UK PC Gamer ran a competition with the prize being a copy of TF2 when it shipped. They got a letter from one of the winners in 2007 and sent him his copy for remembering.

There are people who actually pre-ordered DNF back in 2000, shortly after the big PCG exclusive on it, because everyone thought it was gonna be out soon. Some of those people still have their receipts, too.

Evil Tim 06-15-2011 07:10 PM

Also, from what I've heard one of the problems with DNF is they've made a halfassed attempt to turn it into a modern game by adding things like regenerating health and a two-weapon inventory, so it sounds like it won't even be able to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with old-school shooters like Doom, Serious Sam and Resistance: Fall of Man for fun factor. I wonder if it even has that classic FPS bug / feature of making you run faster diagonally because all the classic WASD shooters just added forward speed + strafe speed to get your diagonal speed.

MT2008 06-15-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30371)
Also, from what I've heard one of the problems with DNF is they've made a halfassed attempt to turn it into a modern game by adding things like regenerating health and a two-weapon inventory, so it sounds like it won't even be able to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with old-school shooters like Doom, Serious Sam and Resistance: Fall of Man for fun factor. I wonder if it even has that classic FPS bug / feature of making you run faster diagonally because all the classic WASD shooters just added forward speed + strafe speed to get your diagonal speed.

I totally forgot that this bug existed...

S&Wshooter 06-16-2011 02:44 AM

My brother got DNF, so I will be playing it at some point

Swordfish941 06-16-2011 08:17 PM

I just got back from seeing Super 8. It was a very good movie.

Also, in every movie about aliens trying to get back home, why is the military potrayed as giant assholes?

k9870 06-16-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30455)
I just got back from seeing Super 8. It was a very good movie.

Also, in every movie about aliens trying to get back home, why is the military potrayed as giant assholes?

Thats my problem with this type of movie actually, too many u.s. mil/u.s. gov are evil type movies.....

Mandolin1 06-17-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe the military has seen all those movies were aliens come try to kill us. They're reacting to the assumtion that the aliens want to kill us.

Spartan198 06-18-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin1 (Post 30475)
They're reacting to the assumtion that the aliens want to kill us.

Which would logically be their job.

Swordfish941 06-19-2011 02:38 AM

Good news!! I'm almost done watching the second series of Doctor Who. Three more series to go!!

I also saw Green Lantern today. It was good, but they could of picked a better choice than Ryan Reynolds (like Chris Pine).

Gunmaster45 06-19-2011 06:46 AM

The trailer for F.3.A.R. has gotten the song "Four Rusted Horses" by Marilyn Manson stuck in my head. Guy creeps me out but I'm seriously loving that song.

The game looked meh though to be honest. Haven't even gotten around to playing the first or second F.E.A.R. yet.

Swordfish941 06-19-2011 06:49 AM

I am going to watch every single episode of Battlestar Galactica until the end of summer.

Excalibur 06-19-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30500)
I am going to watch every single episode of Battlestar Galactica until the end of summer.

It's a good show.

k9870 06-19-2011 01:51 PM

I have seen every episode:)

Evil Tim 06-19-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30235)
That is my exact thoughts of Shia Labeouf being in Transformers.

Incidentally, just to dig this back up: Shia is nothing.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v654942WaY...formersenergon

See if you don't hate Kicker before he even says his first line. You'll hate him more after he actually does.

Swordfish941 06-20-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30509)
Incidentally, just to dig this back up: Shia is nothing.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v654942WaY...formersenergon

See if you don't hate Kicker before he even says his first line. You'll hate him more after he actually does.

I hate Shia LaBeouf because he's a wimpy little bitch.

MT2008 06-20-2011 05:16 PM

Did anyone watch "Falling Skies" last night?

Swordfish941 06-20-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30536)

I have not, but I'm going to watch the next episode.

Mandolin1 06-20-2011 08:20 PM

I watched the first hour and a little before boing to bed, had to work early this morning. It looks to be a very good show. The main character even corrected his son on the clip/magazine issue.

predator20 06-20-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30536)

Don't have TNT. I'll wait till DVD.

k9870 06-21-2011 01:32 PM

how did people in the Democratic Peoples Republic Of Massachuttets get you know, such awesome guns? Theres aks all over the place with standard cap mags instead of neutered ones. And uzis and stuff, the m16s and 240s could be military armories but no the civilian rifles.

MT2008 06-21-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30419)
My brother got DNF, so I will be playing it at some point

Played a little bit last Friday. It seems like a game I could enjoy, and the hour I had to try it was fun. But as I mentioned earlier, this is coming from a former gamer who is about 7 years behind everyone else in gaming experience.

Swordfish941 06-21-2011 05:42 PM

I am now hooked on watching Torchwood. First of all, it beats the shit out of CSI, and second of all, Eve Myles (who plays Gwen Cooper, Torchwood's Police Liason), has a nice ass.

funkychinaman 06-21-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30556)
Played a little bit last Friday. It seems like a game I could enjoy, and the hour I had to try it was fun. But as I mentioned earlier, this is coming from a former gamer who is about 7 years behind everyone else in gaming experience.

I read a few more reviews. On the plus side, I'll be able to play it real soon, as I'm sure it'll be in the clearance bin in two months.

k9870 06-21-2011 07:38 PM

Rumors are flying if they'll make another. Theres two camps. One says it was too much fail to get another one in the works. The other says that there is no way people will let this be the last duke.

Apparently a movie is in pre production? That will suck.

funkychinaman 06-21-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 30573)
Rumors are flying if they'll make another. Theres two camps. One says it was too much fail to get another one in the works. The other says that there is no way people will let this be the last duke.

Apparently a movie is in pre production? That will suck.

I'm still not sure what the target audience is. The gamers in my generation loved DN3D back in 1996 because it was a good FPS with boobs and dick jokes. Today, we've all got jobs, some have kids and mortgages, and we've played MUCH better FPSs and have high speed internet for boobs and dick jokes if we're still inclined. The gamers in this generation have much better options for FPSs and don't know who the hell Duke Nukem is.

Either do it right or let it die. They've let far better games and franchises die (or go dormant) before. (Army of Two and MechAssault come to mind.)

funkychinaman 06-21-2011 07:59 PM

Ordered AC: Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption (both used) for $35 shipped yesterday. I got tired of waiting for them to drop below my $15 used game limit.

Excalibur 06-22-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30575)
Ordered AC: Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption (both used) for $35 shipped yesterday. I got tired of waiting for them to drop below my $15 used game limit.

Don't have a job to buy yourself new stuff

funkychinaman 06-22-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 30580)
Don't have a job to buy yourself new stuff

It depends on the game. Like this fall, I'll probably pre-order the new Ace Combat game, and maybe MW3, but then wait for Halo Anniversary. I usually don't play that much multiplayer anyway, and since most developers don't emphasize the campaign as much anymore, that's pretty much all I'm paying for. And most places, like gamefly and gohastings, their used stuff is in pretty good condition. I've only had to return a malfunctioning game to gamefly once.

I'm also at the age where all of my friends are getting married, and going to all of these weddings gets expensive.

MT2008 06-22-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30574)
The gamers in this generation have much better options for FPSs and don't know who the hell Duke Nukem is.

That was my reaction when I first heard Swordfish and Smithy talking about DNF (since they're much younger than us), but it turned out I was wrong. Also, the two guys with whom I played DNF are also a bit younger than me (one is 20, the other 21), so they were also too young to have played Duke Nukem 3D when it came out.

k9870 06-22-2011 02:43 PM

We dont remember from playing it, we remember duke as a meme.

funkychinaman 06-22-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 30584)
We dont remember from playing it, we remember duke as a meme.

I'm having trouble thinking of a movie equivalent. It's have to be a good movie that came out a few decades ago that's famous enough for the current generation to have heard of but most never actually watched, and never got a sequel.

A sequel to the Graduate, perhaps? (I've seen spoofs and references for years, but never actually watched it until last year.)

funkychinaman 06-22-2011 09:52 PM

I hope the lockout never ends.

Swordfish941 06-22-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30592)

This fake movie trailer is stupider than your fake movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs

http://www.trollface.net/trollface.png

funkychinaman 06-22-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30593)
This fake movie trailer is stupider than your fake movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs

http://www.trollface.net/trollface.png

You just made me open up Minesweeper.

Dammit, I have errands to run here!

Swordfish941 06-23-2011 12:09 AM

I think I might buy Half Life 2. You get to stop an alien invasion with a crowbar and an anti-gravity gun.

S&Wshooter 06-23-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30583)
That was my reaction when I first heard Swordfish and Smithy talking about DNF (since they're much younger than us), but it turned out I was wrong. Also, the two guys with whom I played DNF are also a bit younger than me (one is 20, the other 21), so they were also too young to have played Duke Nukem 3D when it came out.

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour was the first game I ever owned

I have Duke Nukem 3D downloaded on my 360

Evil Tim 06-23-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30574)
I'm still not sure what the target audience is. The gamers in my generation loved DN3D back in 1996 because it was a good FPS with boobs and dick jokes. Today, we've all got jobs, some have kids and mortgages, and we've played MUCH better FPSs and have high speed internet for boobs and dick jokes if we're still inclined. The gamers in this generation have much better options for FPSs and don't know who the hell Duke Nukem is.

To be honest, DNF is nothing like the original anyway. Duke 3D was based around the "City" levels of Doom 2 and featured big, open maps where you had quite a lot of freedom as to how you approached the level and what order you did things in. DNF is a boring corridor crawl with extra dick jokes. Or really just extra dicks, they don't even make that many jokes.

I think it's more interesting as an exercise in trying to spot where one dev team's work ended and another began. For example, the whole Duke Cave section is obviously supposed to be a joke about Doom 3, but it looks like either they cut the punchline thinking nobody would understand it or that the next dev team didn't understand where the level was going so just finished it minus the whole joke that was supposed to be there. I think the gag was comparing the pointless RC car driving to the incredibly random crane game about halfway through Doom 3, and that "find three power cells" where two of them are in the same room as the reactor. Same with the Hive (should be a reference to Duke's fellow in development forever game Prey, and probably rather less rampantly disturbing) and I'm fairly sure the dull stacking-barrels-in-a-container section was supposed to be riffing on Half-Life 2 with some "Dukish" solution like bringing one barrel over and then just taking a dump in it to make it heavier.

Also, totally hating the tiny ammo counts and weapons that feel weightless and puny; only one that's fun to fire so far is the shotgun. Apparently this build is 5 years old, but even that makes it a stablemate of Black, which knew exactly how to make firing a gun feel awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30591)
I'm having trouble thinking of a movie equivalent. It's have to be a good movie that came out a few decades ago that's famous enough for the current generation to have heard of but most never actually watched, and never got a sequel.

A lot more people reference Citizen Kane than have ever actually seen it.

funkychinaman 06-24-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30609)
A lot more people reference Citizen Kane than have ever actually seen it.

Oooh, good one. I remember they had an episode of "The Real Ghostbusters" that had the Ghostbusters trying to catch Charles Foster Kane's ghost. Yes, a Citizen Kane reference in a kids cartoon. (Then again, they also had a Cthulhu episode, so maybe the writers were trying to skew older.)

S&Wshooter 06-25-2011 12:15 AM

I went out and got Dragon Age Origins , which also came with all the expansions

Swordfish941 06-25-2011 11:20 PM

I just came back from seeing Bad Teacher. I want 92 minutes of goddamn life back.