imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Favorite Directors (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1411)

BurtReynoldsMoustache 04-30-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 26890)
Here's another one: Wes Anderson (I personally love The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

I like Wes Anderson too, but The Life Aquatic was his worst movie.

funkychinaman 04-30-2011 07:51 AM

Bryan Singer graduated from the same high school as me, so I'm trying to help a local boy out and watch all of his movies. I think I've hit them all. Usual Suspects, X-Men 1, X-Men 2, and Valkyrie were good. Superman and Apt Pupil were okay, and Public Access was incomprehensible.

I went to a talk he did at Princeton about Superman Returns, and how the Donner films meant so much to him, and how he wanted to honor them and Christopher Reeve, who had grown up in Princeton. In the end, I think all of that got in the way of making a good movie. (I've seen the Donner Cut of Superman II, and it really wasn't that much better than the theatrical cut, if at all.)

I'm a bit frustrated that he's trying to put out yet another iteration of Battlestar Galactica. How many versions of BSG can the market support? I read he was trying to do an Excalibur remake too, which is another film that should be left alone.

I remember when Chris McQuarrie won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 1995 for Usual Suspects. He was also an alum, so it was huge at school. My English teacher had been McQuarrie's teacher as well, so he was especially proud that one of his former students had won an Oscar for writing. (Holy crap, that was half a lifetime ago. Ugh.)

Excalibur 04-30-2011 03:30 PM

It looks interesting, but we don't know who most of the actors are. We can only hope they can act

Swordfish941 04-30-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 28260)
It looks interesting, but we don't know who most of the actors are. We can only hope they can act

It has James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, Kevin Bacon, Jaunary Jones, and Nicholas Hoult (he plays Tony on Skins).

Swordfish941 06-20-2011 05:17 AM

Alright, here's a new one: Joel Schumaker. What do you think of him (he frakked up the Batman franchise).

MT2008 06-30-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30523)
Alright, here's a new one: Joel Schumaker. What do you think of him (he frakked up the Batman franchise).

That would be Joel Schumacher. ;)

His overall resume is not too impressive - especially Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. But Falling Down was pretty good, and The Lost Boys is one of the more underrated 80s teen movies (to the extent that making a good 80s teen movie is even possible).

funkychinaman 06-30-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30761)
That would be Joel Schumacher. ;)

His overall resume is not too impressive - especially Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. But Falling Down was pretty good, and The Lost Boys is one of the more underrated 80s teen movies (to the extent that making a good 80s teen movie is even possible).

I actively avoided his movies after he brutalized the Batman series and left it for dead in a ditch. But, and I hate to admit this, I liked his Phantom of the Opera so much I ended up buying a BD copy.

I had no idea he did Falling Down.

paraordnance 07-01-2011 02:54 AM

Michael Mann and John Woo are my two favorites. No one does a crime drama like Mann and nobody does emotional action movies like John Woo.

Swordfish941 07-05-2011 04:00 PM

I'm now interested in Ridley Scott. He has a pretty impressive resume (including two Sci-fi classics: Alien and Blade Runner).
What do you guys think?

Spades of Columbia 07-05-2011 06:29 PM

So far Anton Bormatov got my attention with "The alien Girl" and i am really getting into Jee-woon Kim after "I saw the Devil" and "The good, the bad, the weird". Johnnie To has alot to his credit with "Exiled" and "Vengeance" being two of my favs. I cant wait to see what else Jeong-beom Lee can do after the really awesome "The Man from Nowhere". I almost forgot about Wilson Yip and his "IP Man" movies which are a lot of fun to watch!