imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

SPEMack618 11-27-2012 07:41 PM

No, I refuse to believe that can happen.

I like JGL too, but he can't be Batman, nor can superheroes, as by definition the Green Latern and Wonderwoman are, exsist in the Nolan world.

The Joker and Bane were terrorists, Bruce Wayne was a billionaire playboy vigilante, nothing more; nothing less.

commando552 11-27-2012 10:53 PM

I think it has already been debunked by JGL's people, so don't think it will happen. Having said that, Mark Wahlberg's people denied he was going to be Transformers 4 until he was, so who knows.

funkychinaman 11-28-2012 12:38 AM

Lost in all that news though is the news that the Green Lantern in Justice League will be John Stuart and not Hal Jordan. As someone who loved the DCAU, I'm okay with that, but I'm sure some of the more hardcore GL fans might not be happy.

SPEMack618 11-30-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markost (Post 36906)
Saw the trailer for the incoming World War Z movie. There´s no clue of the SIR or the LOBO, due to the fact that they used 28 Days Later zombies/infected.

I've already written off World War Z as not being worth the 16 dollars to see it.

Swordfish941 11-30-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 36949)
Lost in all that news though is the news that the Green Lantern in Justice League will be John Stuart and not Hal Jordan. As someone who loved the DCAU, I'm okay with that, but I'm sure some of the more hardcore GL fans might not be happy.

As a comic book fan, I'm okay with John, but I really want Hal to be a founding member of the Justice League in JL film. And get Chris Pine for the role.

Evil Tim 11-30-2012 03:06 PM

Far Cry 3 out over here, hooray. So far it's a bit fiddly and the ammo limits are rather low, hoping I can fix that with upgrades. Just need to stop being eaten by the roving battalions of komodo dragons this island apparently has.

Swordfish941 11-30-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 36998)
Far Cry 3 out over here, hooray. So far it's a bit fiddly and the ammo limits are rather low, hoping I can fix that with upgrades. Just need to stop being eaten by the roving battalions of komodo dragons this island apparently has.

I want that game for Christmas.

Excalibur 11-30-2012 06:48 PM

I'm going to get it next Tuesday since I live in America. I really like the more weapon selection the game has. What I hope is they don't have disintegrating guns like in Far Cry 2. It better have good fast travel and I really hope enemy respawn isn't stupid

Mr.Ice 11-30-2012 08:29 PM

Just saw the Deathstroke trailer for Injustice. To bad the game isn't released until April.:(

Evil Tim 12-01-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37002)
What I hope is they don't have disintegrating guns like in Far Cry 2. It better have good fast travel and I really hope enemy respawn isn't stupid

No wear on guns, has fast travel, enemy respawns are silly at first until you realise if you do the stronghold missions you take territory and they stop spawning in the territory you've taken. Only things that spawn after are animals, and if you get in trouble a truckload of friendly guys tend to show up to lend a hand, so it's not so much trouble if you run into a conga line of Komodo Dragons.

Early on you'll want to prioritise something with a suppressor since you start pretty weak, low ammo capacity and health and making a lot of noise means enemies respond from all over the place. Once you're a little less fragile you can afford to start being silly about things if you want, though it still rewards stealth a lot more than FC2 did.

Also, there's a lot of Red Dead Redemption-style hunting for skins in this, only you craft them into things like ammo pouches and bandoliers to upgrade yourself. Couple this to the weapons and it's basically best described as Cabela's Ridiculous Hunts. Right up to bear versus RPG-7 if you're feeling particularly uncharitable towards bears. Important point is that the radio tower directly South of the one you take first is where boars hang out, you need two of them to get your first ammo upgrade and make the game start being awesome.

Excalibur 12-01-2012 04:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll be getting the game next Tuesday when it comes out in the US.

Also, it seems like only 2 guns are modeled left handed, so I'm ok with that.

Spartan198 12-01-2012 06:19 PM

Wait, you can hunt bears with RPGs? :eek:

I've gotta get this game.

k9870 12-01-2012 06:57 PM

cant wait for far cry, no midnight release and i work at 2 that day but ill be up early to buy my copy and play as much as i can before work

S&Wshooter 12-01-2012 07:15 PM

I preordered Far Cry 3, so I will be going to pick up my copy on Tuesday as well

S&Wshooter 12-02-2012 01:18 AM

Killing Them Softly wasn't bad. I recommend it to any of y'all who like Crime films

Excalibur 12-02-2012 01:58 AM

I'll check out Killing them softly next week. Still can't wait for Far Cry. Been waiting for a "better game". The Hitman game was nice but lacked a few things

Spartan198 12-03-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37015)
The Hitman game was nice but lacked a few things

How did it compare to Blood Money?

Excalibur 12-03-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 37019)
How did it compare to Blood Money?

The locations weren't as big. You can't pick you loadout before a mission. It felt just a little bit too linear

k9870 12-04-2012 02:07 AM

walking deads midseason finale got intense, and i like the looks of where its going. Park benches being used as cover was a little strange though.....

Excalibur 12-04-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 37025)
walking deads midseason finale got intense, and i like the looks of where its going. Park benches being used as cover was a little strange though.....

Guess they don't know the difference between cover and concealment. Though I wish they'd shoot semi to conserve ammo instead of going full auto like ammo grows on trees.

SPEMack618 12-04-2012 01:40 PM

Th stupid in that episode....it burned.....

I swear the BEF had a better plan to defend France in May of 1940.

Oh, new title for the show....

"Black Dude Highlander. There can only be one."

Evil Tim 12-04-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37028)
I swear the BEF had a better plan to defend France in May of 1940.

Oh come on, that was Rommel and Guderian totally ignoring their orders, taking a ridiculous amount of territory and making the already dejected French think their shit was ten seconds from being ruined. It's hard to defend a country that was five minutes from giving up when the war started because a combination of economic and political woes. Hell, Arras and Cambrai would have worked if Britain or France had placed any serious value in combined arms training.

SPEMack618 12-04-2012 06:46 PM

My jab at the BEF was more so directed at the failure of the IGS to never assert meaningful strategic influence over either thier Army in the field or the French High Command.

Divided command is a bitch.

Swordfish941 12-04-2012 10:15 PM

I'm thinking of getting into the Final Fantasy series. Is there any particular game I should start with?

funkychinaman 12-05-2012 12:11 AM

This makes me want to vomit.

No, I'm not surprised by Oprah, but number 2... by a LARGE margin... over one of the greatest directors ever. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!?

BlackIce_GTS 12-07-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37033)
I'm thinking of getting into the Final Fantasy series. Is there any particular game I should start with?

Four (it was FFII in it's original North American release, because we didn't get the Japanese 2 or 3 here until recently) or seven.
Seven is a major object of worship because it was a huge revolution for the series and a lot of you damn kids never played any of the old ones. I think the SNES games (four (2), five, and six (3)) are still great games, but maybe I'm just old. I mean... old school.
I think they've re-released FFVII recently? That would be great for you, because have you looked at a Playstation 1 game recently? They make my eyes bleed.
Conversion table
Japan - Everywhere else
1 = 1
2 = nope
3 = nuh-uh
4 = 2
5 = no dice
6 = 3
Re-releases use Japanese numbers, so this only matters if you're looking for old cartridges. Or ROMs, but that would be slightly illegal.

The first one is ridiculously hard, and I never played the 2nd or 3rd because back in my day we only had terrible fan-translated ROMs of them.

Swordfish941 12-07-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS (Post 37044)
Four (it was FFII in it's original North American release, because we didn't get the Japanese 2 or 3 here until recently) or seven.
Seven is a major object of worship because it was a huge revolution for the series and a lot of you damn kids never played any of the old ones. I think the SNES games (four (2), five, and six (3)) are still great games, but maybe I'm just old. I mean... old school.
I think they've re-released FFVII recently? That would be great for you, because have you looked at a Playstation 1 game recently? They make my eyes bleed.
Conversion table
Japan - Everywhere else
1 = 1
2 = nope
3 = nuh-uh
4 = 2
5 = no dice
6 = 3
Re-releases use Japanese numbers, so this only matters if you're looking for old cartridges. Or ROMs, but that would be slightly illegal.

The first one is ridiculously hard, and I never played the 2nd or 3rd because back in my day we only had terrible fan-translated ROMs of them.

So you're saying I have to get an SNES if I want to play the games in Chronological order?

Excalibur 12-07-2012 01:21 PM

There is no chronological order to any of the Final Fantasy games aside from 10 and 13 which have sequels. There is no story connections between the others.

Swordfish941 12-07-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37047)
There is no chronological order to any of the Final Fantasy games aside from 10 and 13 which have sequels. There is no story connections between the others.

That makes things much more easier.

Evil Tim 12-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37047)

I see you're forgetting Dirge of Cerberus. Then again I think most people try to forget that.

Excalibur 12-07-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37050)
I see you're forgetting Dirge of Cerberus. Then again I think most people try to forget that.

Thanks for reminding me of that flop.

BlackIce_GTS 12-07-2012 11:35 PM

No, you don't have to get a SNES. There have been numerous re-releases of the older games, on GBA, DS, PSP, and some Playstation or other.
I stopped at 10 (stopped playing and caring), so I don't know what's going on anymore. I hear 12 or 13 was really awful?
I'd really recommend trying 4, 5, or 6 to start with. If they're just too old for you, it's no big loss, skip to 7.
A lot of people didn't like 8, because the hero is kind of a sullen dick (which is why I did like it), but it's still a fun game. It does that anime thing where everything gets crazy nonsense in the last act though.

Also there's Tactics (PS1?), which is FFV + Shining Force.
(Shining Force is sort of chess played with people from D&D.)

Excalibur 12-08-2012 02:25 AM

Not all Final Fantasy games are award winning.

Swordfish941 12-08-2012 04:11 AM

I've started to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Shou Tucker's death is extremely satisfying. And J. Michael Tatum is excellent as Scar.

Excalibur 12-08-2012 05:15 AM

I am getting really addicted to Far Cry 3. The game play is really fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37058)
I've started to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Shou Tucker's death is extremely satisfying. And J. Michael Tatum is excellent as Scar.

It's an excellent show that takes completely from the source material.

Swordfish941 12-08-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37059)
It's an excellent show that takes completely from the source material.

Valid point, but it doesn't contain this epic quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6nQV88-Dw

S&Wshooter 12-08-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37059)
I am getting really addicted to Far Cry 3. The game play is really fun

I am, too.

Damn you, Ubisoft, for releasing what may be the funnest new game I've played all year right before Finals!

Evil Tim 12-08-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37051)
Thanks for reminding me of that flop.

It was kind of amusing that Shinra was apparently so dedicated to dicking over the citizenry of Midgar that he not only built a city on top of it, he also built another one underneath it and filled it with evil super soldiers for absolutely no good reason.

Also that the bad guy's plot relies on the idea that the entire planet is a dumbass.

funkychinaman 12-08-2012 02:03 PM

In more remake news:

http://latino-review.com/2012/12/05/...arface-remake/

I can see why Latinos would be upset that a new Scarface would have another Latino drug dealer, but unless they've been living under a rock for the last five years, the Mexican drug war is kind of a big deal. The only other plausible ethnicity would be what, Russian?

Evil Tim 12-12-2012 08:13 AM

Seen a new set of preview shots for the eternally delayed Aliens: Colonial Marine. Seems they've put ghost ring sights on the pulse rifle (+10 sacrilege points right there) and the motion sensor is a silly handheld thing that you can't use a weapon with. Because everyone loved that in Doom 3 and it's not like the duct tape mod was one of the most popular PC mods of all time.

This is going to hurt. :(