imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why doesn't anyone bother flipping up the sights on an mp7. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1108)

k9870 06-21-2010 11:39 PM

Why doesn't anyone bother flipping up the sights on an mp7.

Looks like every tv show or movie the sights are never folded up.

Gunmaster45 06-21-2010 11:52 PM

Because in hollyweird land, you don't need sights. Everybody is either so advanced with a firearm they can pinpoint the exact place a bullet will go without aiming, or the magical magazine will hold enough bullets that they can spray and pray and eventually hit something. Plus it looks cooler with the sights down and most actors probably don't know how to flip them up.

Bugabear 06-23-2010 02:28 AM

Who aims? In fact why even bother with the stock?

Excalibur 06-23-2010 03:27 AM

A lot of shows don't even bother with stocks like seeing MP5s with the stocks retracted

Markost 06-24-2010 02:07 AM

From Rampage:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/...Ramp-MP7-4.jpg

Excalibur 06-24-2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markost (Post 14755)

Never use Uwe Boll as an example unless it's to remind us that he sucks

MT2008 06-24-2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 14715)
Plus it looks cooler with the sights down and most actors probably don't know how to flip them up.

That's pretty much it. When in doubt, the answer to any question about Holllywood gun-related retardation is, "Because it looks/sounds cooler that way."

k9870 06-24-2010 03:26 AM

like how folding stock aks and mini 14s never have the stock out, it stays folded. And Uwe Boll sucks, i think its funny that one sight is up though.

Markost 06-24-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14760)
like how folding stock aks and mini 14s never have the stock out, it stays folded.

Or shooting two MP5K akimbo style...

Quote:

And Uwe Boll sucks, i think its funny that one sight is up though.
I think that guy actually enjoys losing money with his movies...

k9870 06-24-2010 02:01 PM

He runs his own production company so he is wasting his own money

Excalibur 06-24-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14766)
He runs his own production company so he is wasting his own money

There is just nothing subtle about this guy in any of his movie. Like in Rampage. During the scene while the kid was arming up, putting his suit on, and loading his guns, we heard in the background news about school shootings, internet videos about people ranting about the government, someone else ranting about killing random people who take up space. Yeah this is SUCH a good movie that we had to heard all the character's motivations in the background like that.

Swordfish941 06-24-2010 06:19 PM

Uwe Boll needs to die slowly and very, very, painfully.

Excalibur 06-24-2010 07:00 PM

Just have the movie industry ban him from being able to make a movie. That'll be good enough

Swordfish941 06-24-2010 08:17 PM

Okay, but after they ban him, can they ban Michael Bay?

k9870 06-24-2010 08:23 PM

Hey the Rock was a good movie, at least ban michael more from even opening his yapper before going after bay

Excalibur 06-24-2010 09:23 PM

The Rock was only good because Jerry Bruckhimer helped

Swordfish941 06-24-2010 09:44 PM

Michael Bay sucks since there are too many explosions in his movies and he needs to calm down.

k9870 06-24-2010 10:01 PM

In michael bay movies i watch them for entertainment, not solid plots. If I feel like mindless explosions Bay movies fill the slot. Its all your approach to movies. Boll on the other side, his movies arent even worthy of parody on mystery science theater.

MT2008 06-25-2010 12:05 AM

I happen to have liked "Rampage".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14767)
There is just nothing subtle about this guy in any of his movie. Like in Rampage. During the scene while the kid was arming up, putting his suit on, and loading his guns, we heard in the background news about school shootings, internet videos about people ranting about the government, someone else ranting about killing random people who take up space. Yeah this is SUCH a good movie that we had to heard all the character's motivations in the background like that.

Sorry, dude, but actually, 'ol Uwe is WAY ahead of you on this one.

You missed the whole point of the movie. We really don't know for sure why Bill goes on the rampage. Yeah, he listens to (right-wing) news, but he also listens to his friend ranting about commie bullshit. Since we know that he sets up his friend to take the fall for the massacre, it might be that he's just trying to study how conspiracy theorists think in order to imitate them. The videos he made might also have been filmed later in order to cover his tracks, so that nobody thinks he did it only for the money.

Or, he might really believe everything he said. But the point is, we don't know for sure. It's meant to be vague because it makes the character scarier.

Excalibur 06-25-2010 12:31 AM

Which I said before in discussion is that he's just a bank robber, mass murder, pretending to be some kind of ethnic cleanser.

MT2008 06-25-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14779)
Which I said before in discussion is that he's just a bank robber, mass murder, pretending to be some kind of ethnic cleanser.

But then aren't you contradicting your own post that I quoted?

Excalibur 06-25-2010 12:47 AM

That's the point. First he leads us to believe he is some kind of crusader, and then it boils down to him being a bank robber

MT2008 06-25-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14781)
That's the point. First he leads us to believe he is some kind of crusader, and then it boils down to him being a bank robber

No, that's not the point. The point, as I explained, is that it's deliberately vague. We really don't know for sure what his motives were. There are too many gray areas, and that's deliberate. That's even what Boll says in the commentary.

k9870 06-25-2010 01:17 AM

im not going to bother watching it.

MT2008 06-25-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14783)
im not going to bother watching it.

Nobody's saying you have to. But my opinion is that it was a good movie.

predator20 06-25-2010 01:24 AM

Even though this thread has derailed to a Rampage discussion. My thoughts on the film. (watched it last night, you got to love instant streaming on Netflix)

I was really surprised, I've seen maybe two other Boll films all the way through. They sucked ass. Rampage was actually pretty decent.

The only bad thing, for most viewers who know nothing about American guns laws, the weapons he uses might seem plausible. There's no way he'd be able to afford that kind of hardware, legal or illegal. I would have rather saw him with some cheaper semi-auto weapons. Even though it's a movie, it fuels ignorance about American gun laws.

I also liked that there was some humor. The bingo scenes, freaking great. He's in there head to toe with armor toting guns and they just keep on playing.

Excalibur 06-26-2010 03:31 AM

Ok, I'll admit, the Bingo scene was funny as hell and it had that kinda tension like is he going to mow everyone down or something.

Mazryonh 06-29-2010 06:08 PM

I would like to see more of this weapon in games and films, but the fact of the matter is, it seems there just isn't enough time or money in most cases to teach movie or TV show actors how to use, aim, and reload a weapon properly by themselves, especially in the case of the MP7 where the stock, iron sights, and vertical foregrip all fold into the the body of the weapon. Without being told which part is which and does what function, you're not going to likely know this without even a passing familiarity with firearms, and so it seems the "standard procedure" is to teach just enough to an actor to look menacing if not competent to the observant eye.