imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trying to remember a movie based on a gun. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=234)

Someday 05-10-2009 03:28 AM

Trying to remember a movie based on a gun.

Okay, this is a long shot, but it's been driving me nuts.

I am trying to remember a movie based on one scene with a gun. Here's what I remember:
It's in a rural setting, probably Alaska or somewhere like that. The main character is a sheriff/town cop. A person from the town comes into his office and they talk, the person from the village says he's going to go out and kill a polarbear I think, some predator animal if it's not a bear. The sheriff asks him what gun he's using and he replies with some small caliber rifle. The sheriff tells him if he's going to go to at least take his rifle, and hands him a lever action rifle, I believe in stainless steel. I think he said it was a Marlin.

That's all I remember from the movie. It was either a crime drama or a horror movie. Anyone got any ideas?

Someday 05-15-2009 08:03 AM

Anyone have even a guess? It's still driving me nuts.

ShootingJames 05-18-2009 01:51 PM

I'm not positive, but I think it had to be a marlin if it was stainless, because I don't think any other company makes a stainless lever action. Marlin model 336.

MoviePropMaster2008 05-18-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingJames (Post 2845)
I'm not positive, but I think it had to be a marlin if it was stainless, because I don't think any other company makes a stainless lever action. Marlin model 336.

That would be a good guess. Now if only the O.P. had a better description of the film. The description is WAY TOO VAGUE for anyone to guess, even someone who may have actually seen this film.

Someday 05-19-2009 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 2864)
That would be a good guess. Now if only the O.P. had a better description of the film. The description is WAY TOO VAGUE for anyone to guess, even someone who may have actually seen this film.

Yeah, unfortunately that is all I can remember is that one scene, I just remember the rifle is for killing a polar bear, and the scene is at the beginning of the movie. It is driving me absolutely nuts that all I can remember is this one scene!

Excalibur 05-19-2009 04:11 AM

Too vague. Do you know the style the movie was filmed in? What year it came out? Actors you know?

Someday 05-22-2009 09:17 AM

I have been thinking about it more, and here's what I've come up with:

I am pretty sure it's a horror because I remember thinking when the guy says he's going to kill the bear that it's not actually a bear and it's the "creature".

I almost thought it was The Thing the other night, but I don't think so anymore.

Also the scene is in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

And I believe they say the bear had killed some animals or something. (anothing thing that made me think it was a creature and not a bear, typical horror movie start)

Like I said I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping someone might remember the same thing and be able to ID the movie.

ShootingJames 05-22-2009 07:31 PM

I have not seen it, but could it be 30 days of night?

Gunmaster45 05-22-2009 08:34 PM

I've never seen them, but is it perhaps "Wendigo"? Or maybe "Sasquatch"?

Gunmaster45 05-22-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingJames (Post 3010)
I have not seen it, but could it be 30 days of night?

Definately not, there were no lever guns in that movie and no one was dumb enough to think the vampires were bears at first. They were definately vampires in everyone's eyes first thing.

Another movie I can think of with a lever gun and a bear in alaska is "The Edge" with Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins, they had a nice Winchester 1886 in the movie. But it doesn't fit all of your descriptions enough.