imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 05-30-2012 04:29 PM

So apparently Tatum's character died but now that they pushed the movie back, they want to not kill him off?

funkychinaman 05-30-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 35137)
So apparently Tatum's character died but now that they pushed the movie back, they want to not kill him off?

I guess? I didn't see much of Duke in the trailers, and that was my first thought when I saw the trailer: what happened to the rest of the team? I can see them doing *A* G.I. Joe movie without Duke, but if you've already established him as a character, how do you go kill him off? It's Duke! And I presume they killed off Scarlett as well.

commando552 05-30-2012 04:53 PM

I wouldn't have thought they are stopping him from getting killed off, the whole point of the movie from what I can tell is that all the Joes have been killed apart from the main cast. If they wanted him to survive they would have to reshoot a lot and I don't know why they would bother, especially as Tatum is just as likely to drive people away than bring them in. I think more likely they will be expanding his role before the attack on the Joes, which is probably more of an editing thing rather than reshoots. Besides, it doesn't take 9 months to change it to not kill off Duke, all you need to do is redub it to say that the snake speared through his chest just put him into a coma and have someone say "Duke woke up!" at the end of the movie and everyone cheer. ;)

funkychinaman 05-30-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 35139)
I wouldn't have thought they are stopping him from getting killed off, the whole point of the movie from what I can tell is that all the Joes have been killed apart from the main cast. If they wanted him to survive they would have to reshoot a lot and I don't know why they would bother, especially as Tatum is just as likely to drive people away than bring them in. I think more likely they will be expanding his role before the attack on the Joes, which is probably more of an editing thing rather than reshoots. Besides, it doesn't take 9 months to change it to not kill off Duke, all you need to do is redub it to say that the snake speared through his chest just put him into a coma and have someone say "Duke woke up!" at the end of the movie and everyone cheer. ;)

Holy crap I hope they do that. That would be the greatest bit of fan service ever.

BeardedHoplite 06-19-2012 01:51 PM

I finally saw Act of Valor (on blu-ray!). I can appreciate the message it wants to send, but I really thought the action scenes were just average. Like, Heat's were better.

Excalibur 06-19-2012 06:44 PM

Well it isn't hollywood action scenes. They wanted it to be as authentic as possible with the real SEALs thing

zackmann08 06-19-2012 06:56 PM

What I thought was interesting was that there were a few things that happened where I was like "yea right... like that would EVER happen"... Like the SEAL getting hit with the RPG that didn't detonate. I assumed that they just wanted it to be dramatic and exaggerated it a bit. Turns out, that ACTUALLY FUCKING HAPPENED!!!

k9870 06-19-2012 08:31 PM

I loved act of valor's action. I love heat but i dont think its the pinnacle of movie shootouts like people make it out to be. The realism of act of valor made it just truly awesome.

BeardedHoplite 06-19-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 35263)
Well it isn't hollywood action scenes. They wanted it to be as authentic as possible with the real SEALs thing

But that was really all the movie had going for it, I mean, the acting was rotten and the plot irrevelent. It was just a bunch of weaksauce action bits (which over-relied on the FPS view, imho).

commando552 06-19-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 35264)
What I thought was interesting was that there were a few things that happened where I was like "yea right... like that would EVER happen"... Like the SEAL getting hit with the RPG that didn't detonate. I assumed that they just wanted it to be dramatic and exaggerated it a bit. Turns out, that ACTUALLY FUCKING HAPPENED!!!

There are three reasons an RPG could potentially not detonate. One, it was a dudd. Two, it was within the minimum arming distance of the RPG. Three, the fuze on an RPG is designed to detonate when it hits a solid armoured vehicle as opposed to a person, which is a fairly "soft" target. I think this has actually happened a few times, you have the Ranger who was killed by being impaled by an RPG in Somalia (as shown in Black Hawk Down), at least a couple of US soldier who have survived being hit by non detonating RPGs (one in the leg and one in the pelvis for sure, probably others), and there was a British Para officer who got hit in the front plate of his body armour by an RPG during an ambush which didn't detonate and he was basically fine. Also, I personally know a British Royal Marine who had an RPG hit the top of his helmet, and cartwheel off before the time fuze went off about 10 meters behind him. He got a concussion and didn't remember it, but he needed A LOT of alcohol to calm him down when it was explained to him what had happened.