imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 06-07-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30034)
I thought Ken Wantanabe was 42. And I did not know that Snakw Eyes was white (I always knew he was badass). But do you know who would make a good Tomax and Xamot? Sharlto Copley. What did you think of my other choices?

42 would be a bit too old too. He certainly looks like he's 51. He's got adult kids.

Snakes-Eyes is a white guy, and him and Storm Shadow are supposed to be about the same age. Originally, in the comic, they fought in Vietnam in the same LRRP unit as Stalker.

As for your other choices, Terry Crews as Roadblock is excellent. When I saw the Baroness, Sarah Palin popped briefly in my mind, which is not right. If they can combine her looks and Ariana Huffington's voice, we've got a winner. And I can't even think of Shipwreck now without going to Shore Leave from the Venture Brothers. Mark Strong would make a good Zartan as well.

I saw your handle there. Is that an ELO reference?

Swordfish941 06-07-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30035)
I saw your handle there. Is that an ELO reference?

Yes it is.

Spartan198 06-07-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30032)
I never used that enhanced manueverabilty whatever in HAWX except to get the achievement anyway. It just felt weird. I know the games aren't supposed to be realistic, but that was just too much.

Maybe, but I feel it'd be nice to have the option. I've honestly never felt like the "ace" that the games' plots and dialogue made Mobius 1, Blaze, and Cypher out to be because you could be doing something as mundane as turning to the left and you'll hear somebody exclaim "Look at that flying, it's almost not human". :rolleyes: It'd be great if I could be doing something like backflipping over the MiG about to light me up when some NPC starts blabbing about my "inhuman" flying. ;)

funkychinaman 06-08-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 30037)
Maybe, but I feel it'd be nice to have the option. I've honestly never felt like the "ace" that the games' plots and dialogue made Mobius 1, Blaze, and Cypher out to be because you could be doing something as mundane as turning to the left and you'll hear somebody exclaim "Look at that flying, it's almost not human". :rolleyes: It'd be great if I could be doing something like backflipping over the MiG about to light me up when some NPC starts blabbing about my "inhuman" flying. ;)

But that's the thing, it was impossible to hit anything unless you had the super maneuverable missiles. There was an achievement where you had to destroy a ground target with your gun while in that mode, and it took me dozens of tries to get.

funkychinaman 06-08-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30034)
But do you know who would make a good Tomax and Xamot? Sharlto Copley.

He's kinda dorky, don't you think? I always imagined the twins to be a little more suave and sophisticated. Besides, unless he's like Linda Hamilton or Jon Heder and has a twin no one knows about, they'd have to do that Patty Duke thing with him throughout the entire film.

S&Wshooter 06-08-2011 07:04 PM

I bought Just Cause 2 from my brother for $10 because he needed $10 for something

funkychinaman 06-11-2011 01:46 AM

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but it's thirteen minutes of gameplay from MW3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...call-of/714784

In keeping with the finest traditions of the Modern Warfare series, 1) it looks really fun, 2) there are gaping plot holes.

Long story short, you have to fight your way to the NYSE on foot, fighting Russians troops and Hinds along the way, to get to the roof of the NYSE to blow up some antenna/transmitter thingy. Not "collect intel from," or "find," but blow up. Once that's done, they send a Blackhawk to pick you up DIRECTLY from the rooftop. So, instead of just sending in gunships, or even that same Blackhawk to blow up something ON THE ROOF, they make you fight street by street, house by house. (Did I mention it looks really fun? Because it looks really fun.)

k9870 06-11-2011 02:13 AM

Having a working magnifyer is sweet. Gameplay looks fun, even if its like, not different from mw2....graphics look.....the same.

S&Wshooter 06-11-2011 02:28 AM

I bought Inception and am watching Bullitt right now

funkychinaman 06-11-2011 04:34 PM

Finished up MoH. The Campaign was a lot better than I had thought it would be. The reviews had said that it was a bit glitchy, and I did have to restart one section after not being able to advance due to a glitch. My biggest complaint about the game, however, was having two companies do the campaign and multiplayer. Usually, the campaign is supposed to get you acclimated to multiplayer, but when I played a bit, it was a bit foreign. But generally, a good use of 15 bucks.

k9870 06-11-2011 06:32 PM

I thought campaighn was much more polished and better than MP especially with the lean and peek mechanic for cover. And I had a SIG loaded with mec gar 18 rounders instead of a neutered beretta.

Spartan198 06-11-2011 07:18 PM

I somehow can't see a Hind taking *that* much fire from a minigun without going down. Maybe the armor plating can withstand it, but there's no way in hell cockpit canopy glass can.

But with that little nitpick said, I think I'm going to stick with my current plan of buying Battlefield 3 and starting up a free Gamefly trial to rent MW3 just to finish off the story.

mpe2010 06-11-2011 09:14 PM

The only reason i bought Medal of Honor was for the Battlefield 3 beta.

Excalibur 06-12-2011 04:09 AM

I tried the new MoH and it was ok. Not really much of a story when it comes to a military shooter. I like some of the gameplay like the ability to select fire on your weapons and it's cool when you reload your empty shotgun, you do a combat reload first

funkychinaman 06-12-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 30224)
I somehow can't see a Hind taking *that* much fire from a minigun without going down. Maybe the armor plating can withstand it, but there's no way in hell cockpit canopy glass can.

It reminded me of the helicopter chase in Rambo II. Another MW staple, callbacks to action films.

And don't Hinds have armored canopies? The minigun is "only" .30 cal.

funkychinaman 06-12-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 30226)
I tried the new MoH and it was ok. Not really much of a story when it comes to a military shooter. I like some of the gameplay like the ability to select fire on your weapons and it's cool when you reload your empty shotgun, you do a combat reload first

I never used the shotgun that much in the game. Whenever I picked up an enemy weapon, it was to switch out the shotgun. But I know in my Remington 870 manual, it tells you to load a round in the chamber, turn on the safety, and then load the tube.

I didn't mind the story. It was a slice of an ongoing war, so I didn't expect much.

Excalibur 06-12-2011 04:46 AM

I used the shotgun often enough. It's pretty good

Rockwolf66 06-12-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30227)
It reminded me of the helicopter chase in Rambo II. Another MW staple, callbacks to action films.

And don't Hinds have armored canopies? The minigun is "only" .30 cal.

From what I hear from a friend who is a gunship pilot the Hind does have over a ton of armor around the cockpit. Litterally the pilot is in an A-10 style bathtub of the stuff. That will stop a burst from a minigun. The armored canopy will stop 7.62 rounds and resist the first few 12.7mm rounds. the Fun thing about Miniguns is that they chew through targets. It's like with an American 180. I can build a concrete wall that is resistant to .30-06 ammo. the .22LR American 180 might not punch a hole with one round but with concentrated fire it eats cinderblocks for lunch.

As far as the rest of the hind goes alot of it has no armor at all.

Spartan198 06-12-2011 06:27 AM

^Precisely. A minigun spitting out 50 rounds per second is going to eat that canopy glass alive, as the saying goes.

Evil Tim 06-12-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30228)
I didn't mind the story. It was a slice of an ongoing war, so I didn't expect much.

I think the main problem with the story was that it never really established who Rabbit was but still wanted you to care about what happened to him, despite that it was kinda hard to even remember which one he was. I don't really understand why FPSes are so opposed to talking player characters, I never minded when Nomad did it in Crysis or Kellar did it in Black.

That plus it was rather hard to get a handle on what was actually happening aside from that everyone seemed to be trying to climb a mountain for some reason. It was kinda hard to feel a sense of achievement at the end when I wasn't even sure what I'd just done.

Spartan198 06-12-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30232)
I don't really understand why FPSes are so opposed to talking player characters, I never minded when Nomad did it in Crysis or Kellar did it in Black.

I always presumed they did it because they believe it gives you more of an attachment to the character.

Evil Tim 06-12-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 30233)
I always presumed they did it because they believe it gives you more of an attachment to the character.

Yeah, but the trouble is there is no character to become attached to, you're just a hole in the story. It's like when they put annoying kids in kids' movies because they think there needs to be an actual child there for the kids in the audience to pretend is them, when kids have no problem pretending they're Batman or Optimus Prime and tend to just wish the kid characters would stop getting in everyone's way.

Swordfish941 06-12-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30234)
It's like when they put annoying kids in kids' movies because they think there needs to be an actual child there for the kids in the audience to pretend is them, when kids have no problem pretending they're Batman or Optimus Prime and tend to just wish the kid characters would stop getting in everyone's way.

That is my exact thoughts of Shia Labeouf being in Transformers.

k9870 06-12-2011 10:24 AM

Yeah I hate silent heroes too. Characters who talk are signifcantly more interesting. laughed when when in MW2 soap talked until you played as him agan then went silent.....

MT2008 06-12-2011 02:53 PM

I saw "Super 8" yesterday (it was the first time in about 9 months that I went to see a movie in a theater - the last was when I saw "The Town"). I enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

S&Wshooter 06-12-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30239)
I saw "Super 8" yesterday (it was the first time in about 9 months that I went to see a movie in a theater - the last was when I saw "The Town"). I enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

What was it about, exactly?

MT2008 06-12-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30241)
What was it about, exactly?

It's a story about kids making their own monster movie (on Super 8 film, hence the title), and also an actual monster that's on the loose while they're making the movie. It's kinda hard to describe the plot without spoiling it, so just trust me and go check it out.

One other thing: It turned out to be a really good date movie (which I would not have expected going in), so take a girl to see it.

S&Wshooter 06-12-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30242)
It's a story about kids making their own monster movie (on Super 8 film, hence the title), and also an actual monster that's on the loose while they're making the movie. It's kinda hard to describe the plot without spoiling it, so just trust me and go check it out.

One other thing: It turned out to be a really good date movie (which I would not have expected going in), so take a girl to see it.

Sounds interesting

Swordfish941 06-12-2011 08:49 PM

I just bought Modern Warfare 2 with my debit card. I use to have the game but the disc got scratched up beyond repair.

MT2008 06-12-2011 11:37 PM

"Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" is quite possibly the funniest spoof I've ever seen, though it won't make sense if you haven't watched "Boyz N The Hood" and "Menace II Society" first.

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 30244)
I just bought Modern Warfare 2 with my debit card. I use to have the game but the disc got scratched up beyond repair.

Are you keeping track of all your deposits and withdrawals with a register?

Spartan198 06-13-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 30234)
Yeah, but the trouble is there is no character to become attached to, you're just a hole in the story. It's like when they put annoying kids in kids' movies because they think there needs to be an actual child there for the kids in the audience to pretend is them, when kids have no problem pretending they're Batman or Optimus Prime and tend to just wish the kid characters would stop getting in everyone's way.

I think the premise there is that you are the character. Your story is his, your thoughts are his, your opinions are his, etc..

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 30246)
Are you keeping track of all your deposits and withdrawals with a register?

Yep. I have a spreadsheet to keep track. BTW, Modern Warfare 2 kicks ass!!

mpe2010 06-13-2011 12:49 AM

I just got back from seeing Super 8. I welcome any original movies during a period where only sequels, prequels, and comic book movies are coming out.

funkychinaman 06-13-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 30245)
"Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" is quite possibly the funniest spoof I've ever seen, though it won't make sense if you haven't watched "Boyz N The Hood" and "Menace II Society" first.

Ummm, Airplane? Young Frankenstein? Black Dynamite?

MT2008 06-13-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 30252)
Ummm, Airplane? Young Frankenstein? Black Dynamite?

OK, so I exaggerate...

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 04:41 AM

Guys, I am about to do the unthinkable: I am going to watch the crappy GI Joe movie with Channing Tatum :eek:

Rockwolf66 06-13-2011 06:09 AM

In that case might I offer you a blindfold, a cigarette and a pistol?

S&Wshooter 06-13-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 30257)

Gameplan: When he puts on the blindfold, I'll pop him in the head. Cigarettes are getting too expensive for us to give him one

Swordfish941 06-13-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 30257)

Sure. Why not?