imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 01-04-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37396)
I've decided to watch One Piece, and this was my reaction finding out there are over 500 episodes:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcqeexaGKR1qa12ro.gif

579 and counting and 10 movies and a bunch of OVA specials

It feels very daunting at first but TRUST ME, it is an awesome show. I can't wait to talk to you when you get to the Enes Lobby and the Marineford story arc.

This show gets dark later on

Swordfish941 01-04-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37397)
579 and counting and 10 movies and a bunch of OVA specials

It feels very daunting at first but TRUST ME, it is an awesome show. I can't wait to talk to you when you get to the Enes Lobby and the Marineford story arc.

This show gets dark later on

I remember watching it on Toonami, but they aired the 4Kids dub of it, and apparently nobody likes that dub.

And I was shocked to learn that the guy that voices Zoro also voices Alex Louis Armstrong.

Excalibur 01-04-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37398)
I remember watching it on Toonami, but they aired the 4Kids dub of it, and apparently nobody likes that dub.

And I was shocked to learn that the guy that voices Zoro also voices Alex Louis Armstrong.

Yeah he voices a lot of people and no body like the 4Kids dub. The Funimation dub is a lot better and not censored

BeardedHoplite 01-05-2013 05:27 PM

Is Far Cry 3 worth buying? I kinda burnt myself out on Paradox 4x games. I need a good shooter quick.

Excalibur 01-06-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 37417)
Is Far Cry 3 worth buying? I kinda burnt myself out on Paradox 4x games. I need a good shooter quick.

Yes it is worth buying. I've already beaten it twice. I think it feels a lot better than Far Cry 2 in terms of story, controls, gun details, and better fast travel.

SPEMack618 01-14-2013 11:58 PM

"Gangster Squad" was amazing.

S&Wshooter 01-15-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37513)
"Gangster Squad" was amazing.

I wanted to see more mooks feel the wrath of Robert Patrick's SAA, but other than that one thing, it was awesome

SPEMack618 01-15-2013 02:12 AM

Yes, yes it was.

"I'm gunna dance with the girl who brung me" made me all tingly inside.

As much as I enjoyed "Public Enemies", being a distant relative of Melvin Purvis, I feel obligated to, this movie was just so much more fun.

S&Wshooter 01-15-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37516)
Yes, yes it was.

"I'm gunna dance with the girl who brung me" made me all tingly inside.

As much as I enjoyed "Public Enemies", being a distant relative of Melvin Purvis, I feel obligated to, this movie was just so much more fun.

Yup, I reckon I'm just in a single-action kind of mood lately. I feel the same way about Gangster Squad being more fun than Public Enemies

SPEMack618 01-15-2013 02:23 AM

Jim Dillard's great grand-pa carried a Single Action Army in the Great War.

'course, he was actually issued said M-1873 and just never turned it in before deploying "over there."

Swordfish941 01-15-2013 02:22 PM

I have a feeling that the new Devil May Cry game will bomb. This new version of Dante sucks when compared to regular Dante. He looks like Edward Cullen.

Excalibur 01-15-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37526)
I have a feeling that the new Devil May Cry game will bomb. This new version of Dante sucks when compared to regular Dante. He looks like Edward Cullen.

Do not even TALK about that piss poor, bullshit, ridiculous, Twilight inspired, corporate crap, mother fucking destroyer of franchise of a game.

What the fuck is wrong with Capcom these passed years. They fucked up the Resident Evil franchise and now they let a foreign company fuck up Devy May Cry.

They turned Dante into this crack addict looking punk of a rebel without a cliche from Jersey Shores. Turned his 1911s into Desert Eagle abominations and have him fighting corporate demons who's goal is to take over the world via national debt and addicting the people with demonic SOFT DRINKS...SUBTLE! Very very subtle!

They turned Vergil, Dante's cool as ice twin brother into the leader of Anonymous. I'm not joking. He's got the Guy Fawke like mask and everything spouting internet bullshit on the news.

Swordfish941 01-15-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37527)
Do not even TALK about that piss poor, bullshit, ridiculous, Twilight inspired, corporate crap, mother fucking destroyer of franchise of a game.

What the fuck is wrong with Capcom these passed years. They fucked up the Resident Evil franchise and now they let a foreign company fuck up Devy May Cry.

They turned Dante into this crack addict looking punk of a rebel without a cliche from Jersey Shores. Turned his 1911s into Desert Eagle abominations and have him fighting corporate demons who's goal is to take over the world via national debt and addicting the people with demonic SOFT DRINKS...SUBTLE! Very very subtle!

They turned Vergil, Dante's cool as ice twin brother into the leader of Anonymous. I'm not joking. He's got the Guy Fawke like mask and everything spouting internet bullshit on the news.

They at least could have continued the series with Nero. He was pretty cool.

funkychinaman 01-16-2013 08:35 PM

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/201...t-ama/#page/14

What role do you most regret turning down?

I most regret not doing The Rock. I love the movie, and it turned out well. When it was offered to me there was only an 80 page script with a lot of handwriting and scribbles and it didn't seem fully baked. But they obviously did a fantastic job.

This is driving me nuts. Which role do you think he was offered?

Excalibur 01-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37531)
They at least could have continued the series with Nero. He was pretty cool.

I would have taken Nero over this reboot Dante. At least I know who he is. This new Dante is not the same Dante. He does not deserve the same name

commando552 01-16-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37554)
http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/201...t-ama/#page/14

What role do you most regret turning down?

I most regret not doing The Rock. I love the movie, and it turned out well. When it was offered to me there was only an 80 page script with a lot of handwriting and scribbles and it didn't seem fully baked. But they obviously did a fantastic job.

This is driving me nuts. Which role do you think he was offered?

My guess would be that he would be the leader of the Mercenaries that General Hummel hired to augment his marines.

funkychinaman 01-16-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 37559)
My guess would be that he would be the leader of the Mercenaries that General Hummel hired to augment his marines.

I thought they were all Marines in the film. It'd have to be a pretty beefy role too, I'm guessing either Hummel himself or Major Baxter .

commando552 01-17-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37562)
I thought they were all Marines in the film. It'd have to be a pretty beefy role too, I'm guessing either Hummel himself or Major Baxter .

That would have been ridiculous if they were trying to pass him off as a USMC officer. In the film there were the Marines that were under Hummel's command, and then I thought the rest were mercenaries led by Captain Darrow (Tony Todd) and Captain Frye (Gregory Sporleder). I can't remember if they were explicitly stated as being ex or serving Marines, but whatever they were they were being paid to be there, and were not in it for the ideal like the Marines under Hummel. There was a line at some point about how Hummel had never worked with them or their men before, but they lived up to their reputation, and then later when they found out they were not getting paid they tried to kill Hummel. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but I always assumed these people were "for hire" to one degree or another.

As from the sound of it the script was very early on, it is not much of a difference to have the hired muscle being foreign or USMC. Or the story could have been totally different from the final film, maybe he was going to fill the Captain Mason spy role and just have him be from a different European country (would ahve to change the timeline a bit to get the age to match up though).

funkychinaman 01-17-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 37563)
That would have been ridiculous if they were trying to pass him off as a USMC officer. In the film there were the Marines that were under Hummel's command, and then I thought the rest were mercenaries led by Captain Darrow (Tony Todd) and Captain Frye (Gregory Sporleder). I can't remember if they were explicitly stated as being ex or serving Marines, but whatever they were they were being paid to be there, and were not in it for the ideal like the Marines under Hummel. There was a line at some point about how Hummel had never worked with them or their men before, but they lived up to their reputation, and then later when they found out they were not getting paid they tried to kill Hummel. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but I always assumed these people were "for hire" to one degree or another.

As from the sound of it the script was very early on, it is not much of a difference to have the hired muscle being foreign or USMC. Or the story could have been totally different from the final film, maybe he was going to fill the Captain Mason spy role and just have him be from a different European country (would ahve to change the timeline a bit to get the age to match up though).

Arnold in the Mason role would've ruined it. I thought they were all active duty Marines that Hummel recruited with the promise of payment.

If TPTB had actually just made them mercenaries, they could've gotten Pentagon support. The fact that they were Marines was a sticking point.

SPEMack618 01-17-2013 02:49 AM

I thought they were all Marines, or atlest former Marines, but Hummel had only served with Major Baxter and Gunny Crisp in the field before, so they were therefore loyal to him and his mission. The other jarheads were just in it for the money.

funkychinaman 01-18-2013 05:44 PM

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-simple...e-hard-sequel/

Yeah, let's go with that.

And this may be blasphemy, but I can see the logic behind potentially remaking Die Hard. (Which is not to say I'd want a remake.) The original feels a little... dated.

funkychinaman 01-18-2013 07:50 PM

Red 2 trailer is out.

Excalibur 01-18-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37585)

That's the 4th movie so far with Catherine Zeta Jones. Is she trying to bring back her career?

Also...how many movies did Bruce Willis decide to be in? He's like in 6 over the course of a year not including the new GI Joe. I am seeing his old face everywhere

Excalibur 01-20-2013 06:27 AM

I just saw the trailer to the new Tom Cruise movie Oblivion and is it just me or the rifle that he's holding in the movie look like it has an AR like lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIIgE7eSak

funkychinaman 01-23-2013 05:55 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/french-...y-mask-in-mali

That's kinda badass, which is not something someone would normally say about the French Army.

Excalibur 01-23-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37688)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/french-...y-mask-in-mali

That's kinda badass, which is not something someone would normally say about the French Army.

The idea that the man is emulating COD might not be true because the skull mask has been around for years before Call of Duty did it.

commando552 01-23-2013 07:59 PM

As he is Foreign Legion, maybe he comes from a country where this is traditional. I remember a similarly indignant reaction to a picture a while ago, and it turned out that they were Indonesian (I think) and the skull mask is traditional or representative of something.

funkychinaman 01-24-2013 03:28 PM

THQ got parted out.

Excalibur 01-24-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37704)

At least Metro Last Light comes out. I do hope that Crytek remakes Homefront. It was a good idea in theory but poorly executed.

funkychinaman 01-24-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37705)
At least Metro Last Light comes out. I do hope that Crytek remakes Homefront. It was a good idea in theory but poorly executed.

Someone noted that the Red Faction series was not included. I think it may have run its course though.

k9870 01-24-2013 06:42 PM

Yeah a better version of homefront with better production and story would be nice. The graphics and mechanics felt old and story had more plot holes than mw2.

A shooter about americans defending the country from foreign threat though, is something i want to play

funkychinaman 01-24-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 37707)
Yeah a better version of homefront with better production and story would be nice. The graphics and mechanics felt old and story had more plot holes than mw2.

A shooter about americans defending the country from foreign threat though, is something i want to play

MW2, MW3 and BO2 didn't do it for you?

Excalibur 01-24-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37708)
MW2, MW3 and BO2 didn't do it for you?

Neither of those games had an Red Dawn story. The story idea is very simple, grim and different from just a military shooter. The setting is middle America after a take over of a foreign military. We have check points, execution squads, mass graves, tough times. We play the citizens fighting back. That's what Homefront potential has. It sets up a backstory where a country we thought isn't a threat becomes powerful and now aims at taking us out. The tone is a lot different from your Call of Duty or Battlefield style of gameplay. I want to see us using civilian weapons that don't fire full auto, some guns with limited magazine capacities against a well trained, and well armed military. You don't get grenades right off the bat, but grenades are constantly being thrown at you. Tanks and armored vehicles come at you and there isn't a rocket launcher in sight.

k9870 01-24-2013 09:08 PM

yeah cod was military vs military, i wanted civilian resistance. And i liked the enviroment where people were adpating to life after being under enemy control, going through neighborhoods, having to sneak into an internment camp. That was cool. Just felt like a ton of wasted potential.

Excalibur 01-24-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 37711)
yeah cod was military vs military, i wanted civilian resistance. And i liked the enviroment where people were adpating to life after being under enemy control, going through neighborhoods, having to sneak into an internment camp. That was cool. Just felt like a ton of wasted potential.

The reboot Red Dawn movie also had a lot of potential too.

funkychinaman 01-24-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37716)
The reboot Red Dawn movie also had a lot of potential too.

Why didn't they just make a Red Dawn game? I'm guessing it was a rights issue with the remake coming out.

Excalibur 01-25-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37718)
Why didn't they just make a Red Dawn game? I'm guessing it was a rights issue with the remake coming out.

They tried. It was called Homefront and the failed at it. Also because of political correctness, they didn't want Russians cause...they aren't that scary anymore and neither are the Chinese

funkychinaman 01-25-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37719)
They tried. It was called Homefront and the failed at it. Also because of political correctness, they didn't want Russians cause...they aren't that scary anymore and neither are the Chinese

Oh, I know, but since it's the same premise and they brought in John Milius to write it anyway, why not? They could've set it in the eighties and retained the Soviets as the villains instead of bending over backwards with the Red Chinese/NK villains.

Spartan198 01-25-2013 05:21 AM

I just hope Saints Row and the WWE license get treated well by their respective venders.

Spartan198 01-26-2013 10:22 AM

The Americans is sounding like it might be a pretty good show so far. It's been a while since I saw a good Cold War spy thriller.