imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Ultimate Force" is available to watch on Hulu (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1172)

MT2008 07-30-2010 12:10 AM

"Ultimate Force" is available to watch on Hulu

Dunno how many of y'all have seen it, but Excalibur is pretty much the only American I've ever met besides myself who knows this show. Anyway, Hulu recently made it available to watch online, and you can stream all four seasons, here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334874/videogallery

And you can check out the IMFDB page here, if you wanna get a taste of the gun selection: :cool:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Ultimate_Force

I recommend checking it out. The first two seasons, at least, were pretty good. Season 3, not so much. I haven't seen Season 4 yet (watching now).

S&Wshooter 07-30-2010 12:12 AM

Well, now I have something to do

Excalibur 07-30-2010 01:40 AM

I can thank the introduction to this series from an awesome Brit I went to college with. He was a Paratrooper and talked about reenlisting when college ended. He also was the one who introduced me to Airsoft as a sport than just an expensive hobby. You can see him somewhat in my profile page.

I really like Ultimate Force. After watching the Unit, it was nice to see a similar series out the other side of the world, except the difference is the British show has nothing to do with the soldier's girlfriends or wives and focused on how bad ass they are.

Damn, the SAS are hardcore, even their TV shows only serve to elevate their hardcoreness.

S&Wshooter 07-30-2010 01:56 AM

By god, this show is pure badassery

S&Wshooter 07-30-2010 02:07 AM

Why are there commercials every 5 minutes? Isn't hulu supposed to have very few commercial breaks?

Excalibur 07-30-2010 02:32 AM

Nope, not for Hulu. Depending on how long the episode is.

k9870 07-30-2010 11:26 PM

just started watching, I like it. Why was this never broadcast in america?

S&Wshooter 07-31-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 16282)

Because badassery isn't allowed on television

MT2008 07-31-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 16282)

Since when do British TV shows in general get broadcast over here?

Excalibur 07-31-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 16284)
Because badassery isn't allowed on television

Apparently because this only ran for 4 very short seasons. I mean, each "season" had only like 5 episodes each before it got canceled and in the 3rd season, they didn't hire back some actors.

MT2008 07-31-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 16295)
Apparently because this only ran for 4 very short seasons. I mean, each "season" had only like 5 episodes each before it got canceled and in the 3rd season, they didn't hire back some actors.

They all quit. Also, Chris Ryan (who conceived the show) left during that same time, which is why it became a lot less realistic.

The reason that there were so few episodes is because each episode was so expensive, while the overall budget was so small, that filming more than a half-dozen episodes per season would have been prohibitively expensive.

Excalibur 07-31-2010 03:28 PM

Yeah, I figured, but either way the first 2 seasons were very good with what they got

MT2008 07-31-2010 03:55 PM

Minor issue: I just watched the Season 4 episode, "Dividing Line", where Red Troop teams up with some Green Berets to go into Afghanistan. Anyone notice that the American soldier at one point asks, "Where's my Minimi?" when Dave snatches the gun to play a joke on him? You'd think they would know that any American soldier would call it a "SAW".

Of course, since I'm pretty sure most of the "Americans" in that episode are played by Brits, anyway, I guess that explains why.

Excalibur 07-31-2010 10:03 PM

Seriously, it's like American films and TV perfectly make fun of Brits in introducing Brit characters, but when they try to mimic Americans, it's this cliche literal cowboy hat wearing, southern accent, and racist assholes.

MT2008 07-31-2010 11:10 PM

Yeah, it was kinda annoying that they had to portray the Americans as "cowboys". That being said, their portrayal wasn't quite as bad as some other countries whose SF have appeared on the show. The French special forces were portrayed as crybaby pussies, while the Russian Spetsnaz were portrayed as incompetent and barbaric. In general, the portrayal of our guys on "Ultimate Force" is (relatively) positive.

EDIT: Just checked out IMDB, and it turns out I was wrong. The Americans in the "Dividing Line" are played by a mix of actual Americans and some Canadians.

S&Wshooter 07-31-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 16313)
Yeah, it was kinda annoying that they had to portray the Americans as "cowboys". That being said, their portrayal wasn't quite as bad as some other countries whose SF have appeared on the show. The French special forces were portrayed as crybaby pussies, while the Russian Spetsnaz were portrayed as incompetent and barbaric. In general, the portrayal of our guys on "Ultimate Force" is (relatively) positive.

EDIT: Just checked out IMDB, and it turns out I was wrong. The Americans in the "Dividing Line" are played by a mix of actual Americans and some Canadians.

That seems accurate

MT2008 08-01-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 16314)
That seems accurate

Jokes about French cowardice are kinda played out, bro.

Besides, I read a magazine article about GIGN once. They seemed pretty tough to me.

S&Wshooter 08-01-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 16315)
Jokes about French cowardice are kinda played out, bro.

Besides, I read a magazine article about GIGN once. They seemed pretty tough to me.

No, all the tough Frenchmen moved to America. They are known as Cajuns

S&Wshooter 08-01-2010 01:05 AM

I love how the gunshots on the show don't sound extremely fake like in other shows

Excalibur 08-01-2010 01:14 AM

That and the gun fights in general are pretty good. Too bad it took them until the 4th and final seasons to actually get the cast M4 style rifles that would fit the SAS's weapon choices. I understand M16s, but none of the primary combat rifles they use were accurate to what the SAS were using at the time unless this takes place in the 90s and then moved onto the 00s, which is still stupid. And season 4 to me being the weakest, they somehow managed to get new rifles.

Also about the rifles, it seems the fake M203s they use didn't even seem attached to the rifles, but more like they are strapped on

S&Wshooter 08-01-2010 03:12 AM

The Frenchies don't sound very French

Excalibur 08-01-2010 03:23 AM

Maybe it's harder for them to imitate French that to make fun of Americans.

Seriously, when I saw the guy with the cowboy hat, I chuckled a bit.

We have the literal cowboy, the black-hating-all-white-racist, the hardcore leader who was constantly trying to out frown Henno

Seriously, I can understand messing with the Americans by stealing their stuff, but how did Dave snatch the Minimi?

Also there's that one point where Jem stands over one of the American, who is dangling off a cliff. And "SPOILERS"...Did he cut the guy loose to fall on purpose? Seriously?

Funny thing where The Unit had a similar episode where they had to cross the border into Syria as well, except theirs were a rescue mission and the Ultimate Force were to take out a terrorist leader.

I like how in THAT episode where the terrorist leader speaks in plain english to his fellow terrorist, hardly hiding his british accent.

S&Wshooter 08-01-2010 03:32 AM

That guy Pete has PTSD BAD

Excalibur 08-01-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 16321)
That guy Pete has PTSD BAD

Yeah, seriously.

Also, just like in The Unit, Pete also has a cheating wife who cheats on a superior officer, thought in Ultimate Force, the end is a different and short than what happened in The Unit

S&Wshooter 08-01-2010 03:52 AM

Just looked the site up on Wikipedia. Nobody lasts very long on that show, do they?

Excalibur 08-07-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 16323)
Just looked the site up on Wikipedia. Nobody lasts very long on that show, do they?

Except Henno. He's awesome

k9870 08-08-2010 12:01 AM

i can tell the show went the way of the unit.......but more drastically so. Went from cool realism to over the topness with rediculous fights.

Excalibur 08-08-2010 01:44 AM

At least in Ultimate Force we don't have any "Wives" characters to focus on. Sure this goes into stupid cliche military but at least it keeps the point of view on the military guys because they got no civilians to focus on.

funkychinaman 08-09-2010 08:01 PM

I through series 1-3 and halfway through 4 between I just couldn't stand it anymore. It was clear the budget got slashed, and everything suffered. Series 1-2 were excellent, I highly recommend them. It just wasn't the same after they killed off half the cast. Having cast members leave gradually, like they did the first two series seems far more realistic.

I hope Hulu has captions. I have problems with British shows sometime because I have no idea what they're saying.

And does anything else think Henno is the British Michael Chiklis? Or is it just me?

MT2008 08-09-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 16737)
And does anything else think Henno is the British Michael Chiklis? Or is it just me?

They're bald and muscular, and they're both known for playing tough characters. Yeah, I guess that's pretty important.

funkychinaman 08-09-2010 08:25 PM

The weird thing is I grew up watching Michael Chiklis in The Commish, so I was used to seeing him as a jolly family man. I was also shocked to learn he was only in his twenties when he did the Commish.

MT2008 08-09-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 16745)
The weird thing is I grew up watching Michael Chiklis in The Commish, so I was used to seeing him as a jolly family man. I was also shocked to learn he was only in his twenties when he did the Commish.

Yeah, that was before he started working out to do "The Shield". Back then, he was fat and balding and looked easily 10-15 years older than he was. He was almost the Paul Giamatti of the early-90s, IMO.