imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   is it capable to become movie director with military background? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2326)

Johnny Akiba 06-08-2014 02:40 AM

is it capable to become movie director with military background?

when i watched Shark Tank with John Paul DeJoria appeared as a guest, i look at him and my gut tells me "i think he had spent the time in military before", and confirmed it when i checked the wiki. that got me thinking: if he can become an entrepreneur, why can't someone become a movie director?

and so this question clicked me: is it capable that someone with military background can learn to become a movie or tv director in the future? or do we already have one?

funkychinaman 06-08-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Akiba (Post 40755)
when i watched Shark Tank with John Paul DeJoria appeared as a guest, i look at him and my gut tells me "i think he had spent the time in military before", and confirmed it when i checked the wiki. that got me thinking: if he can become an entrepreneur, why can't someone become a movie director?

and so this question clicked me: is it capable that someone with military background can learn to become a movie or tv director in the future? or do we already have one?

It'd be hard. The road to directing features is a long one, and with a volunteer military, six years is a big chunk of time to spend outside of the film industry. Does the military still have film units?

The Wierd It 06-11-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Oliver Stone was a Vietnam veteran. He put a lot of his own experiences into Platoon.

MoviePropMaster2008 09-15-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

There is no reason why not. There are many minor directors who have served, however, the vast majority of the famous ones have not. No big deal. The problem is that the 'arts' tend to attract a lot of people with no interest in the military. Which is why so many directors are complete ignoramuses when it comes to military accuracy. I know several minor directors (who have done TV episodes, or TV specials, etc. etc.) who have served in the military before. But having a military background doesn't make you a good director, or a good ACTION director specifically. Studios and producers look for guys with a good eye for that, not what they did in a previous career.