imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Agent Reid and his revolver in Criminal Minds.Why the switch? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1137)

Jcordell 07-15-2010 12:50 PM

Agent Reid and his revolver in Criminal Minds.Why the switch?

Why did Reid switch to revolver in ''Criminal Minds'' in the fourth season? Yes the F.B.I. authorized the S&W Model 10 with 3" barrel and the round butt grip configuration in the mid seventies. And in the late eighties authorized the S&W Model 13 with 3" barrel and round butt grip, but Reid would have been a kid in the late eighties See: ''Silence of the Lambs'' and ''Dead Bang''.

I suppose it might be something of a nod to the old timers and perhaps a clever way to link the show to ''Silence of the Lambs'' , but I can't find any info about the switch either in a backstory or actual reality. As a revolver fan I like seeing a wheelgun getting so much exposure. Especially in the hands of a "cool" character instead of some old dinosaur, but I am curious as to the reason behind the switch.

S&Wshooter 07-15-2010 02:53 PM

Because S&W revolvers are awesome. Duh

Jcordell 07-15-2010 03:46 PM

Yes they are aren't they? I own seven of them and I love them. However in this instance I was really hoping for a more concrete answer. But thank you for providing the obvious response. ;)

Nyles 07-15-2010 09:38 PM

I don't actually watch Criminal Minds, but that does raise a very good point. I'm always glad to see a working wheelgun (as opposed to some heavy magnum monstrosity) on TV, but I agree that it doesn't seem to make alot of sense.

k9870 07-16-2010 08:41 AM

Well, it does seem to fit his character.

Jcordell 07-16-2010 03:13 PM

Yes it does. In the first season there was an episode where Reid wasn't able to qualify with his Glock. So he is unable to carry it which causes him some distress. Without his service weapon he's just another brainy geek. Actually it's a pretty good story. Cops/Federal Agents really attach alot of weight to the tools of the trade. It's part of our identity. Right or wrong it's a fact.

Anyway during the course of an investigation everything goes South. In this case there is a hostage situation and Reid has to use Hotchner's (Thomas Gibson) back up revolver from Hotch's ankle holster. He center punches (between the eyes) the bad guy and gets his Glock back.

It's actually a pretty good story. As a result I'm surprised that they never bothered to explain the switch to a revolver. I'm not F.B.I., but I imagine an agent might be able to get a waiver to carry a different model/style of handgun if the reason was valid. Most bureaucratic organizations do make allowances for differences. Believe it or not. I know we're all a bunch of gun buffs here, but in my opinion they should have a backstory.

Okay I am now switiching off my Anal Mode.

S&Wshooter 07-16-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman (Post 15470)
Yes it does. In the first season there was an episode where Reid wasn't able to qualify with his Glock. So he is unable to carry it which causes him some distress. Of course during the course of an investigation goes wrong. In this case there is a hostage situation and Reid has to use one the agents back up revolver from an ankle holster. He center punches the bad guy and gets his Glock back.

Who the hell can't aim a GLock? It's like aiming a plank fer chrissakes

PersonOfInterest 07-16-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 15421)
Because S&W revolvers are awesome. Duh

Something tells me you may have a very biased opinion on this matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkman (Post 15470)
Okay I am now switiching off my Anal Mode.

:rolleyes:

k9870 07-16-2010 09:30 PM

His holster sucks though, and it was a glock he killed the LDSK with, and he was aiming for the leg and hit the head, like a reverse of jayne in firefly.

Jcordell 07-17-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 15497)
His holster sucks though, and it was a glock he killed the LDSK with, and he was aiming for the leg and hit the head, like a reverse of jayne in firefly.

It was? Okay. It's been a few years since I saw it and I recalled it being a S&W J frame. Thanks.

k9870 07-17-2010 09:05 PM

here it is

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:G26.jpg

hotch also uses it in another episode.

k9870 07-17-2010 09:07 PM

a militia member in one episode said to morgan "glock 17, tactical, but european, then tapped his holstered smith and wesson "smith and wesson, american hardware. He then turned to reid and said "the way your wering that boy your just asking for somebody to take it from you.

Jcordell 07-17-2010 09:08 PM

Oh yeah there it is. I guess the S&W J frame was just wishful thinking on my part.