imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Evil Tim 01-26-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37706)
Someone noted that the Red Faction series was not included. I think it may have run its course though.

Apparently THQ officially canned the Red Faction series after Armageddon didn't sell. But Red Faction is Volition like Saints' Row, so I assume Koch picked up all their IPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman
Oh, I know, but since it's the same premise and they brought in John Milius to write it anyway, why not?

Apparently Milius was actually an advisor and Homefront's entire script was written by an in-house guy at Kaos who wasn't credited because they wanted to pretend Milius had done it.

Excalibur 01-27-2013 02:11 AM

Well let's hope Crytek can make a better Homefront game

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 01:01 PM

Also, Eurocom's dead after 007 Legends and apparently Activision's pulled all digital versions of the Bond games from Steam and XBL (though not PSN when I got my copy of Legends), which has led to some speculation that they're trying to drop the entire Bond licence. I guess between Blood Stone doing badly, Legends tanking and all the movie-side production delays which prevented them making a Skyfall game they've decided it isn't worth it.

Incidentally, Legends is really, really bad. I feel the best summary of the amount of boat-missing going on is that there's more stealth in the Moonraker level than the OHMSS one, but it's also all the wrong movies to make a game from. I mean come on, You Only Live Twice has that wonderful crater battle, The Spy Who Loved Me is far better for straight-up action than Moonraker and hands you a bomb-fiddling minigame on a platter, and The Living Daylights has an honest-to-goodness end-of-movie boss fight, plenty of scope for recycling CoD assets in Afghanistan, and that cargo net fight that Uncharted 3 already had a version of if you're going to insist on QTEs.

Plus modernising all the movies is hardly a celebration of 50 years of Bond, it's more a denial of it.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 05:31 PM

Always thought The Living Daylights, Lisence to Kill, and [Tomorrow Never Dies would have been cool Bond games. As well as the "Space Marines" assualt from the end of Moonraker

funkychinaman 01-29-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37767)
Always thought The Living Daylights, Lisence to Kill, and [Tomorrow Never Dies would have been cool Bond games. As well as the "Space Marines" assualt from the end of Moonraker

Tomorrow Never Dies did come out as a video game back when the movie came out. I remember being disappointed finding out it wasn't a sequel to Goldeneye and that it wasn't available on the N64. (The release of Perfect Dark helped cheer me up though.)

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 06:36 PM

License to Kill gets a level (it's not good) and actually already had a game back in the day for home computers (my copy's for Commodore Amiga). It's a bizarre collection of increasingly impossible scrolling minigames, mostly shooting.

Moonraker does have that space section, including a zero-G section where you go outside that's an absolutely shameless ripoff of the bit where you go into that big zero-G area in Dead Space 2. They somehow exhumed Michael Lonsdale to play Drax again (he sounds like he's 33 years too old for the role, amazingly enough) but that's about the only good thing about the level. The ever-talentless Bruce Feirstein decided that Drax's cover for a gargantuan nerve gas launching space station (which you could totally put together in a post-9/11 world without anyone getting suspicious) is that it's for "space tourism." And there's vague mentions of the Moonraker astronauts being clones which don't go anywhere.

And there's a zero-G boss with mechanical loading arms which have bright orange cores and I'm not even kidding.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 06:39 PM

Dark secret time: The first/last/only video game system I ever had was an N64. I had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, The World is Not Enough, among other more prosaic entries such as Rogue Squadron, MarioKart, and AMORINES.

The "Space Marines" attack was the only the thing that made Moonraker bearable.

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 06:44 PM

Moonraker's ok if you catch it when you're a kid, it's like cartoon Bond who knows everything and deals with a guy who's as grandiose and absurd as Megatron or Skeletor. Being as it's the first Bond I ever saw, I can't really dislike it as much as I probably ought to.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 06:55 PM

Sometimes I feel that way about Goldeneye which was the first Bond movie I ever saw in theaters. And is still my favorite to this day.

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 08:00 PM

Also in terms of hideous plotting, it's kind of hard to swallow the game's implication that Goldfinger, OHMSS, License to Kill, Die Another Day and Moonraker all happened between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. Or that when Bond falls off the train into the river in Skyfall his life flashes before his eyes in the form of a mediocre FPS.

funkychinaman 01-29-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37774)
Also in terms of hideous plotting, it's kind of hard to swallow the game's implication that Goldfinger, OHMSS, License to Kill, Die Another Day and Moonraker all happened between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. Or that when Bond falls off the train into the river in Skyfall his life flashes before his eyes in the form of a mediocre FPS.

Although that could explain how old and run down he looked in Skyfall. And I suppose processing traumatic memories as a mediocre FPS would account for his poor psychological evaluation in Skyfall.

Excalibur 01-31-2013 05:07 PM

I am really excited for Dead Space 3 and sorta excited for Aliens Colonial Marines. It's kinda cool they updated the gear a bit, like making a more "modern" of the Pulse rifle that accepts today's accessories like red dots, etc

k9870 02-01-2013 04:04 PM

dead space and aliens looks like a winning combo

funkychinaman 02-01-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 37805)
dead space and aliens looks like a winning combo

I still haven't played my copy of Dead Space 2. Dead Space 1 was a bit... draining.

k9870 02-01-2013 04:29 PM

i actually never played one, 2 was sweet though

I heard you never speak in one, i hate silent heroes, a huge pet peeve of mine. 2 though, you just kick tons of ass.

Excalibur 02-01-2013 05:14 PM

If you jumped into Dead Space 2 before one, it might be hard to go to the first game because the controls and the feel is a little different. The first game feels more confine after playing the second game.

I think Issac Clark talks a bit TOO much in the second game. I think they got the complaints from fans and went overboard with all the dialogue with the guy.

k9870 02-02-2013 06:02 PM

3 seems like theres good characters and story.

Bozitojugg3rn4ut 02-02-2013 06:13 PM

Not sure about DS3 but Aliens is gonna be the bomb. And Tomb Raider too in March. Too bad Ubi pushed back Blacklist. :(

Excalibur 02-03-2013 02:00 AM

I am actually kinda holding my breath for Aliens CM, when I was excited for a game with Colonial Marines in it, I got AVP.

Dead Space really is turning into the Resident Evil franchise. In that I hope it doesn't suck. They decided to add coop, which really means they want us to get a buddy to spend 60 bucks like the previous game. RE5 introduced Coop and it was passable. Hopefully DS does it right for its series. Also the introduction of a new villain character being sorta over the top....might be a bad sign.

funkychinaman 02-03-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37848)
I am actually kinda holding my breath for Aliens CM, when I was excited for a game with Colonial Marines in it, I got AVP.

Dead Space really is turning into the Resident Evil franchise. In that I hope it doesn't suck. They decided to add coop, which really means they want us to get a buddy to spend 60 bucks like the previous game. RE5 introduced Coop and it was passable. Hopefully DS does it right for its series. Also the introduction of a new villain character being sorta over the top....might be a bad sign.

I'm a bit skeptical about CM, as they've been kicking it around for about four years now. I think it's either going to be absolutely awesome or it's going to be utterly horrible.

Excalibur 02-03-2013 04:19 PM

Gearbox is a good developer after borderlands 2. That's why I haven't dismissed this game

funkychinaman 02-07-2013 03:15 AM

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

I hope the used game part isn't true.

predator20 02-07-2013 05:03 AM

I'm definitely going to see A Good Day to Die Hard in theaters, since Willis made a pro-2A comment. (He was already like that anyway.)

Stallone sucks ass, any of his movies are going to be Netflix only.

Excalibur 02-07-2013 05:25 AM

Dead Space 3 so far is fun for the most part. I don't like how EA wanted us to do microtransactions like paying for stuff we can find in the game.

funkychinaman 02-07-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 37905)
I'm definitely going to see A Good Day to Die Hard in theaters, since Willis made a pro-2A comment. (He was already like that anyway.)

Do you think Die Hard 5 is going to be a pass-the-torch film? The man is 57, and I'm sure they'd like to keep the franchise going.

predator20 02-07-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37907)
Do you think Die Hard 5 is going to be a pass-the-torch film? The man is 57, and I'm sure they'd like to keep the franchise going.

Could be. I haven't seen Jai Courtney in anything but Spartacus. Which he was good in that. (I haven't seen Jack Reacher yet.) While Bruce is getting up there, both Sly and Arnold have 10 years on him. It doesn't seem to stop them. But I think they all know they only have a little bit of time left to do action films.

Excalibur 02-07-2013 05:19 PM

As actors grow older, they eventually get relegated to "old guy" role.

funkychinaman 02-07-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 37908)
Could be. I haven't seen Jai Courtney in anything but Spartacus. Which he was good in that. (I haven't seen Jack Reacher yet.) While Bruce is getting up there, both Sly and Arnold have 10 years on him. It doesn't seem to stop them. But I think they all know they only have a little bit of time left to do action films.

It's true, Sly and Arnold are older, but both of their new movies just tanked. Bruce isn't slowing down one bit though. He had six movies come out last year (seven if GI Joe 2 had been released as scheduled,) including a DTV, so he either REALLY needs the money or he likes to stay busy. I have to wonder how long he could keep that up.

If the pairing works out though, it'd be weird if his son WASN'T in the next movie.

And do you need John McClane to do a Die Hard movie? Die Hards 1-3 were all written as installments of other franchises, and they sort of shoehorned John McClane into all of them. Bourne 4 didn't have Jason Bourne, and his NAME is on the franchise.

commando552 02-07-2013 05:46 PM

At this point I'd actually probably prefer them to pass over the Die Hard franchise to Jack. With 4 and 5 the plots have been way to "big" for lack of a better word compared to the first 3, and it is beginning to get a bit ridiculous with the global terrorist plots that this random cop keeps finding himself in the middle of. At least if it was handed off to Jack he is a CIA agent so there is greater scope for sort of plausible stories.

S&Wshooter 02-07-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 37905)

Yup, I'm glad that I was able to go see "Bullet To The Head" at a theater with incredibly cheap ticket prices. It isn't exactly "bad", but it's not really something worth paying full price to see.

SPEMack618 02-07-2013 07:31 PM

Willis is a good guy, pro-2A and pro-military.

Not gonna lie, it might just be time for the Die Hard franchise, to, well, die.

funkychinaman 02-07-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37913)
Willis is a good guy, pro-2A and pro-military.

Not gonna lie, it might just be time for the Die Hard franchise, to, well, die.

Before they brought in the son, maybe they could've recast the role, like they do with James Bonds. Who knows, if the movie tanks, they may still do that.

SPEMack618 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

Or maybe, as previously stated offshoot with Jack, but still, as much as a I liked Die Hard 4, it didn't feel like a Die Hard movie.

It felt like a good action movie that so happened to have John MacClane in it.

Excalibur 02-08-2013 01:44 AM

Guys, read this list of how to not screw up making a Die Hard sequel

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-simple...e-hard-sequel/

Evil Tim 02-08-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37904)
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

I hope the used game part isn't true.

I heard what they were planning was to charge an unlocking fee for used games. Which is stupid, I can't think of any other consumer product where the producers are so adamant that the second-hand market damages them. Gee, maybe if your games had replay value nobody would want to sell them. :rolleyes:

funkychinaman 02-08-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37923)
I heard what they were planning was to charge an unlocking fee for used games. Which is stupid, I can't think of any other consumer product where the producers are so adamant that the second-hand market damages them. Gee, maybe if your games had replay value nobody would want to sell them. :rolleyes:

I can't really gripe about the price of new video games, they're barely more expensive than their 8 and 16 bit predecessors were, and you get exponentially more replay value. Have any of them actually put a number on how much money they "lose" due to used games? And since they're basically reducing the value of the game, are prices of new games going to go down. (I'm going to guess no.) Maybe someone can sue them and make a consumer protection issue out of it.

And never mind the fact that they'd be murdering the very idea of game rentals.

Evil Tim 02-08-2013 03:22 PM

Well to be fair, adjusted for inflation a copy of Turok 1 when it came out would cost something like 120 dollars.

The argument they put forward is they make no money on resales, which is stupid because neither does any other company that makes any other consumer product in the entire world. It seems to be based on the assumption that everyone who'd buy a second hand copy would be willing to pay full price if they didn't have the option of getting it second hand, when often people only buy second hand because it's cheap. It's like that thing they do where they imagine everyone who pirated a game would have bought it.

I think it's mostly because of games most people are fed up of within a week like the copies of Medal of Honor that are still knocking around in bargain bins the world over. They're also basically trying to kill the rental market so you have to buy a game to figure out it's turgid garbage.

funkychinaman 02-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37927)
Well to be fair, adjusted for inflation a copy of Turok 1 when it came out would cost something like 120 dollars.

The argument they put forward is they make no money on resales, which is stupid because neither does any other company that makes any other consumer product in the entire world. It seems to be based on the assumption that everyone who'd buy a second hand copy would be willing to pay full price if they didn't have the option of getting it second hand, when often people only buy second hand because it's cheap. It's like that thing they do where they imagine everyone who pirated a game would have bought it.

I think it's mostly because of games most people are fed up of within a week like the copies of Medal of Honor that are still knocking around in bargain bins the world over. They're also basically trying to kill the rental market so you have to buy a game to figure out it's turgid garbage.

If I may play devil's advocate, downloadable demos can take the place of rentals in the try before you buy scenario.

But yeah, if they want to keep prices up, control distribution a bit better and make a good game.

I'm perfectly okay with the currently system of buying online licenses. If they wanted to double the price of online licenses, I'd be fine with it, because online play are the meat and potatoes of most games now. (On the flip side, if I pay for the right to play online, then that means every time the servers for an old game are decommissioned, they're stealing from ME.)

BlackIce_GTS 02-08-2013 06:44 PM

Wish I'd rented Medal of Honour: Beardfighter.
It was sitting on my shelf for... a year? Installed it, picked second highest difficulty, beat it in 4 hours, uninstalled it.
I guess it's about the same money/time/level of entertainment as if I watched Act of Valour and Behind Enemy Lines 3 in theatres (which I didn't), but I have the preconception that I should not be finished with a game I started after lunch before it's time for supper.
And now I can't get rid of it, because it's got that single-owner registration code. Or, if it doesn't(?), many games do, so nobody buys used PC games anymore. Which means nobody sells used PC games. Which means I don't play as many PC games.

Excalibur 02-08-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37929)
If I may play devil's advocate, downloadable demos can take the place of rentals in the try before you buy scenario.

Not every game has a demo. Only the most popular and corporate backed ones are. I couldn't even play the Dead Space 3 demo without renewing my Xbox Live Gold.