imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   We are not GameFAQs (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1621)

BurtReynoldsMoustache 02-14-2011 12:49 AM

We are not GameFAQs

In a lot of the video game articles, there's a lot of editorializing going on in the weapon descriptions. This gun does this and that and this one is good for this and can do this and blah blah blah stuff like that. The purpose of this site is to ID the guns, not give a running commentary on the stats of video game weapons or any sort of gameplay hints.

A video game weapon description should indicate;
A: What the weapon is.
B: Any accessories or modifications to the external appearance.
C: What characters use it in what parts of the game.
D: Trivial inaccuracies if applicable.

It's not really relevant to the stated mission of the site to say "Gun A is very accurate" or "Gun B has way more recoil than it should have". Thoughts?

MT2008 02-15-2011 03:44 PM

I don't see think anyone can argue here. Add something in the rules about this if you wish.

S&Wshooter 02-15-2011 05:06 PM

Aren't tips and tricks the whole reason most games have wikis devoted to them? We definitely don't need hints here

MoviePropMaster2008 02-15-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 25800)
I don't see think anyone can argue here. Add something in the rules about this if you wish.

He can't, BRM isn't a mod. But if he can articulate a nice passage (in this forum) which I can cut and paste to the rules section, then I will.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 02-17-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 25806)
He can't, BRM isn't a mod. But if he can articulate a nice passage (in this forum) which I can cut and paste to the rules section, then I will.

Here at IMFDB, our objective is to identify firearms used in movies, television shows, and video games. We are not GameFAQs, we do not exist to give tips and tricks for video games, so please keep that in mind when creating or editing pages for video games. Weapon descriptions for video games should include; the name of the weapon, any accessories or modifications to the external appearance, which characters use the weapon in what parts of the game (or where the weapon appears if it is not used), and any inaccuracies in design or function if applicable. Descriptions should NOT include; personal opinions, commentary on the weapon's in-game statistics, strategies for finding or using the weapons in-game, or any other information not relevant to identifying the weapon.

Milkovich 02-17-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 25864)
Here at IMFDB, our objective is to identify firearms used in movies, television shows, and video games. We are not GameFAQs, we do not exist to give tips and tricks for video games, so please keep that in mind when creating or editing pages for video games. Weapon descriptions for video games should include; the name of the weapon, any accessories or modifications to the external appearance, which characters use the weapon in what parts of the game (or where the weapon appears if it is not used), and any inaccuracies in design or function if applicable. Descriptions should NOT include; personal opinions, commentary on the weapon's in-game statistics, strategies for finding or using the weapons in-game, or any other information not relevant to identifying the weapon.

*fixed

10charac6ters

ManiacallyChallenged 02-19-2011 01:50 PM

I love the discussions of popularity.

"The TAR 21 appears in game as the TCR 12. It is not popular online because of it's low accuracy."

Thank you for the relevant info. Good description, I like it!