imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Getting a Blank adapted M1 Garand to run properly (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1753)

FIVETWOSEVEN 05-30-2011 11:37 PM

Getting a Blank adapted M1 Garand to run properly

I got 4 M1 Garands from my local legion to do work on and just got back from test firing them. They had an assortment of problems which consisted of short stroking, light primer strikes and just plain misfeeding. The blank ammo I was using was Military M1909 and it was crimped and I had a few ammo which I do not know what it was that had a casing similar to a regular round with the end filled with a red paper (I'm guessing) and I put a clip through the one that was misfiring every time and it functioned perfectly.

What can be done about them short stroking? Would shortening the mainspring be good enough to allow them to cycle?

Gunmaster45 05-31-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN (Post 29690)
I got 4 M1 Garands from my local legion to do work on and just got back from test firing them. They had an assortment of problems which consisted of short stroking, light primer strikes and just plain misfeeding. The blank ammo I was using was Military M1909 and it was crimped and I had a few ammo which I do not know what it was that had a casing similar to a regular round with the end filled with a red paper (I'm guessing) and I put a clip through the one that was misfiring every time and it functioned perfectly.

What can be done about them short stroking? Would shortening the mainspring be good enough to allow them to cycle?

I had a funeral Garand in the shop once, it was short stroking because the gas port was clogged. Strip it down and make the gas port clean enough to eat off of, that should eliminate the idea of it being the gun and not the ammo. As for light primer strikes, just install a slightly heavier hammer spring.

Other than that, I don't know what other advice to give you. Good luck with them.

FIVETWOSEVEN 05-31-2011 02:11 AM

Alright I'll take a look at that next, I'll let you know if it changes anything.

MoviePropMaster2008 06-04-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN (Post 29690)

Sorry for the dumb question, but are these BLANK adapted? Those red wax tipped rounds were THE standard for milspec blanks for a very long time. They were hot loads that cycled perfectly (in hollywood blank adapted rifles). I remember israel came out with green tipped star crimped 30-06 blanks that was underpowered compared to the red tipped blanks. But are these blank adapted? With what TYPE of blank adapter?

FIVETWOSEVEN 06-07-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 29889)
Sorry for the dumb question, but are these BLANK adapted? Those red wax tipped rounds were THE standard for milspec blanks for a very long time. They were hot loads that cycled perfectly (in hollywood blank adapted rifles). I remember israel came out with green tipped star crimped 30-06 blanks that was underpowered compared to the red tipped blanks. But are these blank adapted? With what TYPE of blank adapter?

Its just a screw on at the end of the barrel. http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Art...Adaptor_50.jpg

I do have some lake city blanks with the red cardboard and these work fine but the star crimped blanks don't work with these reliably. Sometimes they cycle but most of the time they don't.

MoviePropMaster2008 06-07-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN (Post 29974)
Its just a screw on at the end of the barrel. http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Art...Adaptor_50.jpg

I do have some lake city blanks with the red cardboard and these work fine but the star crimped blanks don't work with these reliably. Sometimes they cycle but most of the time they don't.

that particular BFA (blank firing adapter) was designed FOR the red Tipped blanks.

FIVETWOSEVEN 06-07-2011 07:17 PM

I figured it was considering the night and day difference between the two types of blanks. What kind of adaptor would work with the star crimped blanks? I'm no gunsmith and I don't want to spend a fortune on these guns considering they aren't mine.