imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

Yournamehere 07-14-2012 12:45 AM

In that price range, you don't have that many options to be completely honest. Bear in mind as well that you don't get the full value of the gun in trade if you go to a store, so 300 is optimistic for your P94 in trade.

If you can get 300 on your gun you might be able to find a used Glock 17/19 in the 300 dollar range, or a used (maybe new if you're lucky) Ruger P89 or P95. Even then, 400 dollars is a more realistic estimate for the price of these guns, and it gives you more potential options as well.

I'd advise you to save a little money until you can get maybe 4-500 dollars worth and then take a look/ask what would be a good buy though. It makes things a lot easier in terms of selection.

Excalibur 07-14-2012 01:45 AM

I would also agree. Once you get up to the 400 to 500 range, that's when you get more options

mpe2010 07-14-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 35440)
In that price range, you don't have that many options to be completely honest. Bear in mind as well that you don't get the full value of the gun in trade if you go to a store, so 300 is optimistic for your P94 in trade.

If you can get 300 on your gun you might be able to find a used Glock 17/19 in the 300 dollar range, or a used (maybe new if you're lucky) Ruger P89 or P95. Even then, 400 dollars is a more realistic estimate for the price of these guns, and it gives you more potential options as well.

I'd advise you to save a little money until you can get maybe 4-500 dollars worth and then take a look/ask what would be a good buy though. It makes things a lot easier in terms of selection.

Thanks. I didnt think that the trade in value would be $300 on its own but several extra magazines, a kydex holster, and a hogue P94 grip might help the value a little bit. Either way I have a couple hundred dollars to add to the trade in.

What do you guys think of the S&W Sigma? Ive heard that it has a very heavy double action only trigger and had reliability issues in earlier models but is it a good handgun?

Yournamehere 07-14-2012 02:22 AM

Extras don't really increase the value of the trade. The shopkeep will usually shrug it off and take everything at the value of the gun and, if they're lucky, sell back everything else separately and make a little bit of extra money for themselves. they usually see it as a bunch of separate items they'll sit on forever so they won't really give much for them. Of course this is just from my experience, you may have some really awesome local shops who will hook you up.

My advice would be to trade the gun with just one magazine and see what you get. If anything, the extra mags may increase value but not much, but they'll probably take them in at increased value since it's common to have a gun sold with extra mags nowadays. That's what I'd do.

As far as the Sigma is concerned, I have no experience with them but a friend of mine shot one a long time ago and hated everything about it (he hates Glock style pistols to begin with). I've been hearing that the new SD9 is basically a Sigma with a better trigger and IMO better aesthetics (it looks like a Sigma and M&P hybrid which is kinda cool). One of those shouldn't run much more than a Sigma so I'd recommend that between the two.

Excalibur 07-14-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe2010 (Post 35442)
What do you guys think of the S&W Sigma? Ive heard that it has a very heavy double action only trigger and had reliability issues in earlier models but is it a good handgun?

I wouldn't even think about the Sigma or the SD series. They are crap and I've shot them once. The trigger is just not as good as the M&P series and the ergonomics of the grip is just bad.

For the money, it's better than getting a Hi Point and you can count of the S&W name but that's all you can count on. I'd save up to get an M&P or if you want to carry the gun, a compact or the Shield if you are a S&W guy'

Glocks are good guns for everyone. Simple to handle, take apart, light and you have tremendous options for aftermarket parts, holsters, etc

Yournamehere 07-14-2012 04:16 AM

I pretty much enforce the notion of saving your dosh until you have enough for a 500ish range gun too. There are so many guns to choose at or near that price point.

predator20 07-14-2012 04:42 PM

To get a quality name brand 9mm pistol under $300 I would go with a S&W 915 or 910.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=296034180

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=296071181

Excalibur 07-14-2012 06:33 PM

Well I take that back, you can get pretty good semi autos for under 300 if the auction is done right

Yournamehere 07-14-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 35451)
To get a quality name brand 9mm pistol under $300 I would go with a S&W 915 or 910.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=296034180

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=296071181

I'd thought of the 915 as well but I assumed he was going local and I don't see those too often. If he can go the auction route then there are a lot more options in the 300 dollar range.

mpe2010 07-15-2012 09:48 PM

I was never really considering the Sigma anyway but just wondering what you guys thought of it.

There is a glock 19 for around $400 that im seriously considering but I still have to go around to all the gun shops and pawn stores in my town to see what they have.

predator20 07-15-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 35454)
I'd thought of the 915 as well but I assumed he was going local and I don't see those too often. If he can go the auction route then there are a lot more options in the 300 dollar range.

I wasn't sure either. Going local depending on your area the options might be limited.

On another note, I put 90 rounds through the Waffen AK74 yesterday. 60 rounds of Silver Bear and the rest 7N6 Russian surplus. No issues, do need to sight it in a little better. But I was real pleased with it. Need to find a stock extension, the Warsaw pact length just doesn't cut it. I thought the action was rough when I got it, but it was just bone dry and needed to be oiled.

My USP will be here Wednesday finally. Also while I really didn't have the spare funds after buying mags and 5.45 ammo for the 74. I found a good deal on a stainless Para P13. If ya'll are wondering where I get the money, I sold my Les Baer Stinger a month ago.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/6/63/Pred20ParaP13.jpg

Excalibur 07-16-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe2010 (Post 35469)
There is a glock 19 for around $400 that im seriously considering but I still have to go around to all the gun shops and pawn stores in my town to see what they have.

Can't go wrong with a Glock

funkychinaman 08-08-2012 10:11 PM

Ordered some new springs for my GP100 and my Ruger Mark II. I want to lighten the DA trigger pull on the GP100, and my Mark II is jamming a lot.

I also ordered new sights for my P38. Replacing the rear sight seems easy enough, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do the front sight without going to a gunsmith.

k9870 08-12-2012 12:26 AM

want a new cz hammer spring, i took a little posting hiatus and got a 686p and a bg380 took my ccw course waiting on permit.

Anyone know where to find a draco? I saw them flood the market for cheap and people were SBR'ing them. Thought it looked cool. Now theres none on the market.

AdAstra2009 08-14-2012 06:33 AM

I've been looking into relatively affordable handguns and you can get a Nagant Revolver for around $99 with accessories and a CZ-82 pistol for around $220. Not to mention both guns are on the C&R list so if you get a C&R license you can get them shipped straight to your house. Seriously thinking about a C&R license.

S&Wshooter 08-15-2012 01:26 AM

The local gunshop started stocking Mosins and SKS' again, and I was seriously considering buying one or the other.

I'm getting a refund for that '74 if I don't get confirmation that it is ready to ship by Friday.

k9870 08-15-2012 02:46 AM

schools over so working more hours gonna save for a sgl21

k9870 08-15-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 35473)
Can't go wrong with a Glock

used to hate em but theyve grown on me a bit, im considering a blue label g26 with ns since its a pretty good deal, then id just dremel off the retarted finger grooves they put on for some reason and put on some a grip and i got a nice ccw.

S&Wshooter 08-17-2012 06:44 AM

I'm going to get a refund for that '74 tomorrow or the next day. I think I might get a Waffen Werks '74 like the one predator20 bought.

S&Wshooter 08-17-2012 08:40 AM

I was going to shop around a bit, but it looks like Atlantic Firearms is the only place where I can even get a decent AK 74 at the moment, except for the one "meh" quality Tantal at the local shop and the rediculously expensive Arsenals and Legions that Collector's has in stock at the moment.

Jcordell 08-18-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 35714)
used to hate em but theyve grown on me a bit, im considering a blue label g26 with ns since its a pretty good deal, then id just dremel off the retarted finger grooves they put on for some reason and put on some a grip and i got a nice ccw.

I didn't hate Glocks in the past, but I had no real interest in owning one either. But in 06 my department went to issuing either the G21 or G19 based on the officer's preference. I got a G19 and I found that I liked it. I now own a G26 and a G34 as well. I love my revolvers, but the Glock design is a good real world handgun. Not pretty, but practical . I've probably put five thousand rounds through my G19 since 06 and a couple thousand through the G26 - which I also purchased in 06. They work and they're accurate enough for what they are which is combat handguns meant to be used by people who aren't into guns. You know people like soldiers and cops.

S&Wshooter 08-19-2012 05:55 AM

I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints for the 459.

I felt like changing up my HD setup, so now I'm using the 459 with a 20 rounder full of the Speer

k9870 08-22-2012 03:15 PM

i want to save up for something like a sgl21. Would have to order online as the stores round here never have good aks in stock, only 3 ive found are one of those century thumbholes with the loose railed topcover, at cabelas, and kittery trading post had a wasr 2 and a io sporter. And century sucks, io makes century look good....

My priorities for a while:
1. New laptop
2. new camera
3. new carry gun
4. ak

AdAstra2009 08-23-2012 03:30 AM

Got bored with iron sights at the range and tossed a 3x9x40 scope on my HBAR.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7...e5c628d0_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8305/7...0b9ee83d_c.jpg

S&Wshooter 08-27-2012 09:45 PM

http://www.rrcfirearms.com/prod_imag...K74PLUM-51.jpg

Ordered

Excalibur 08-28-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 35817)
Got bored with iron sights at the range and tossed a 3x9x40 scope on my HBAR.

You can get better eye relief if you take the carrying handle off and get a scope mount on the rail

AdAstra2009 08-28-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 35893)
You can get better eye relief if you take the carrying handle off and get a scope mount on the rail

Heh I've been told, This way however I can still use the iron sights.
Also I kind of like the more classic look of the Scope being mounted on the carry handle anyways.

S&Wshooter 08-28-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 35888)

It's already shipped

k9870 08-28-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 35902)
It's already shipped

who makes that? not really digin the lack of optics rail (too many cool options) but looks like itll be a fun shooter. I really want a 47 with side rail. Get a nice grip like a us palm and some mags and rock out

The Wierd It 08-28-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 35904)
not really digin the lack of optics rail (too many cool options) but looks like itll be a fun shooter. I really want a 47 with side rail.

There's two gun families that in my opinion should never, ever be tacticooled. The Kalashnikov is one of them.

S&Wshooter 08-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 35904)
who makes that? not really digin the lack of optics rail (too many cool options) but looks like itll be a fun shooter. I really want a 47 with side rail. Get a nice grip like a us palm and some mags and rock out

That's not the exact rifle, it's just the closest picture I could find of a Waffen Werks AK offered by the place I ordered from. Mine has the optics mount and a darker finish.

predator20 08-28-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 35909)
That's not the exact rifle, it's just the closest picture I could find of a Waffen Werks AK offered by the place I ordered from. Mine has the optics mount and a darker finish.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1003.aspx

I was wondering if you got a Waffen, from the pic it didn't seem like it was. I enjoy mine. I added an Ergo pistol grip, wanted a rubber one and Hogue was the only other choice. It's much better than than plastic Tapco.

S&Wshooter 08-28-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 35911)
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1003.aspx

I was wondering if you got a Waffen, from the pic it didn't seem like it was. I enjoy mine. I added an Ergo pistol grip, wanted a rubber one and Hogue was the only other choice. It's much better than than plastic Tapco.

The Ergo grip looks pretty sweet. I don't know if I am going to change the grip on mine yet.

k9870 08-29-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 35906)
There's two gun families that in my opinion should never, ever be tacticooled. The Kalashnikov is one of them.

why is anti-tactical the new cool? get a aimpoint micro on a rs mount, looks good and adds serious capability. The "keep that crap off my ak/1911" people always give me a chuckle :) Dark ages are over, just dont become a gear queer who adds TOO MUCH CRAP. See them tearn a nice light carbine into something the size and weight of a 249.

and SW, tell us how it is ive heard good tings from sturmgewhre/mac who i follow on youtube
I like the us palm, seems kinda like a tango down, other than that id get a tapco saw grip, i hate finger grooves and hate the standard ak paintbrush grip

S&Wshooter 08-29-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 35906)

I don't care for tacking all kinds of bells and whistles on guns. The only reason I even bought a foregrip for my AR is that I figured that if I'm going to have rails on a firearm, I might as well get a little use out of them.

Even though the '74 has an optics rail, I seriously doubt that I will ever do anything with it. I don't even think that I need optics on anything other than my hunting rifle, due to the fact that I have glasses now and can actually see iron sights well enough to shoot accurately.

k9870 08-29-2012 05:25 PM

I think everyone should know how to shoot irons but if i ever had to fight id want a red dot. Too many advantages, better accuracy, better finding the target, better situational awareness, less facial fatigue, etc.

S&Wshooter 08-29-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 35922)
I think everyone should know how to shoot irons but if i ever had to fight id want a red dot. Too many advantages, better accuracy, better finding the target, better situational awareness, less facial fatigue, etc.

I've never used a red dot sight, so I don't really have an opinion on the subject. They seem pretty handy, though

I suppose that if I were to get a red dot sight, ACOG, etc, it'd have to be for the AR. I have to use that top rail for something, you know?

k9870 08-29-2012 05:32 PM

i want a aimpoint and a accutact anglesight when i get an ar15

S&Wshooter 08-29-2012 05:34 PM

Damn, I could buy a whole other gun for what it costs to get a quality holographic sight. Maybe two.

k9870 08-29-2012 05:55 PM

if you build sigmas maybe, most holosights are around 500 bucks what 2 guns you building? I rember one place had t1 micros on sale for 465 once, wish i saw that more.