imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 02-09-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44067)
Well, just finished Gate. Have to say I liked it. It's ... oddly satisfying to watch the Empire's forces get unequivocally decimated at every turn by the JSDF. :D

Sadly, the manga chapters isn't that far but I'm sure it would have more detailed action than the anime

S&Wshooter 02-10-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44063)
Would be nice if they made a Vietnam game where the weapons actually come from that era rather than being the usual suspects.

tfw no S&W Model 39 EVER

Excalibur 02-14-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44074)
tfw no S&W Model 39 EVER

They did have an ASP

S&Wshooter 02-15-2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur (Post 44095)
they did have an asp

it's not the same

Excalibur 02-15-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44101)
it's not the same

Close enough

S&Wshooter 02-15-2018 06:58 PM

But it isn't!

I got a bunch of those old 3DO Army Men games for like $5, used to play the second one all the time on disc. The interface is bare bones, but way clunkier than I remember, and they REMOVED THE FUCKING LEVEL EDITOR AND MULTIPLAYER. That was the best part of the whole game!

Evil Tim 02-21-2018 01:45 PM

I am somewhat amused that the trailer for The Hurricane Heist ("$600 million stolen at 600 miles per hour!") means it is going to involve the first bank robbery to take place during a calm day on Neptune.

Excalibur 03-15-2018 03:01 PM

Does anybody want to cap the new Korean movie on Netflix "Steel Rain"?

S&Wshooter 03-16-2018 12:03 AM

I've been playing the Sea of Thieves beta with my friend, it's pretty fun. You get to ride around on a boat, have a sick mullet, drink rum, and shoot stuff with a flintlock. I wish I remembered my xbox live login so I could use my old account, though, rather than the dumb outlook account I had to make when I got this laptop

Spartan198 03-17-2018 09:15 PM

Just saw the new Tomb Raider. The story was based on the 2013 game with Yamatai and Himiko, but with some changes to make it less predictable to people that have played it. The shocking twist with Himiko in the end ... it wasn't a bad, but will be quite familiar to fans of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Evil Tim 03-18-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44187)
Just saw the new Tomb Raider. The story was based on the 2013 game with Yamatai and Himiko, but with some changes to make it less predictable to people that have played it. The shocking twist with Himiko in the end ... it wasn't a bad, but will be quite familiar to fans of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

She pulls out a shotgun and requires Lara to move towards her in a very specific way or die instantly?

Excalibur 03-19-2018 02:32 PM

So you recommend seeing this movie?

Spartan198 03-20-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44189)
She pulls out a shotgun and requires Lara to move towards her in a very specific way or die instantly?

I want to answer that question, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested in seeing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44190)
So you recommend seeing this movie?

Yeah, definitely. It's miles better than the Angelina movies. Honestly never thought she was right for the role to begin with.

Excalibur 03-20-2018 03:37 PM

I actually like the first Jolie movie. It's one of my guilty pleasure movies because when you look at the source material, what did you expect from a live action movie of it? It's got fan service and dumb cheesy action and corny lines. It's awesome

Evil Tim 03-26-2018 07:53 AM

The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago, but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.

Excalibur 03-26-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44205)
The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago, but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.

The same logic applies to the fact that this is some kind of no go zone where local navies avoid like the plague. We can call it magic or some other bullshit.

Spartan198 03-27-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44205)
The setup for the game always kind of bothered me from a logical perspective: I mean I've seen enough about shipwrecks to know all of the exposed ships would have been pounded to nothing by waves centuries ago,

Most of the shipwrecks, at least. It would depend on what conditions they become stranded in. By the time the game takes place, the wooden sailing ships would almost certainly be rotted to practically nothing, while the bow section of the Endurance would probably last about a decade or so before the waves tore it apart (a la, the SS America/American Star) and the Japanese battleship, like the Murmansk and the World Discoverer, would likely remain intact for decades due to being in a small inlet protected from the waves.

Quote:

but how has this island been here with things disappearing all this time, yet the coastguard doesn't know about it? It's like the world affects the history of the island but not the other way around.
Well, it is or at some point was known, as a sizable, well-equipped Japanese expedition and an unknown number of US Marines landed on it at some point during WWII. Trinity also knew about the island and sent at least one agent there to sabotage the Japs' operations. At some point, it would appear the location was lost, with the game's writers using the storms conjured up by Himiko as an explanation, though it doesn't really hold up as the storms only appear when a ship or plane approaches the island, thus leaving it open for satellite photography. If the storms were perpetual, the island could conceivably be hidden from satellites, but then someone would surely have noticed this storm off the coast of Japan that's been going on for practically forever and scientific eyes from all over the world fall on the area which would no doubt somehow still reveal the presence of the island.

In short, "lost" or uncharted islands simply don't work as a plot device in the age of Google Earth.

Excalibur 03-28-2018 03:55 PM

I already don't like the fact that they removed the mini map for Far Cry 5. Now every time I need to know where I am going, I need to pull up the full size map since markers on the compass only tell you general direction and not an actual route.

I don't like the fact that they took out crafting of holsters and bigger ammo pouches into a perk system. All other Perks I am ok with, but this means less item and weapons selection early in the game unlike the last 2 games.

Even though they made the MAC-10 type gun a sidearm equipable weapon, that doesn't apply for the MP5K that you get if you buy the game new.

I also don't like how they made money harder to get now because enemies don't have random crap you can loot and sell anymore and when you clear Outposts and primary missions, enemy bodies disappear, meaning less things to loot.

Evil Tim 03-28-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44208)
I also don't like how they made money harder to get now because enemies don't have random crap you can loot and sell anymore and when you clear Outposts and primary missions, enemy bodies disappear, meaning less things to loot.

Talk to every civilian you meet, half the time they'll give you the location of a prepper stash. Those are absolutely stuffed with cash and also always have three perk points in them.

Other than that, go kill some bears and sell the skins, or try finding a "hard" fishing spot, some of the fish are worth pretty good money.

The one thing I really don't like is the health system: can't craft health kits, so they have to make the entire health bar regenerate? Really?

Excalibur 03-28-2018 07:48 PM

I do like how weapons have select fire instead of default though I think the DMR and the regular AR are a bit weird. They seemed to have the exact damage except the DMR has a much slower rate of fire as in the character pulls the trigger slower. I've been running around with the basic AR (AR-C) in semi and getting better hits than I ever did with DMR variant despite technically being longer range.

Excalibur 03-29-2018 03:07 PM

I'm actually not very impressed at the weapon selection. Kinda miss the FAMAS that's been present for the passed 2 games.

Spartan198 03-31-2018 08:21 PM

Would you say it's worth getting?

Evil Tim 04-01-2018 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44212)
I'm actually not very impressed at the weapon selection. Kinda miss the FAMAS that's been present for the passed 2 games.

Someone's already managed to hack a functional Vector into their inventory, it looks like more weapons are going to be made available in weekly "live events" every Tuesday starting the 3rd. So they're trying to go the GTA 5 route of maintaining persistent content releases.

Spartan198 04-01-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 44217)
Someone's already managed to hack a functional Vector into their inventory, it looks like more weapons are going to be made available in weekly "live events" every Tuesday starting the 3rd. So they're trying to go the GTA 5 route of maintaining persistent content releases.

Basically the same weekly challenge thing they've been doing with GRW, ACO, and whatever other Ubisoft games I haven't played.

Evil Tim 04-01-2018 05:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC4PGwynvQo

Best April Fools'.

Spartan198 04-02-2018 01:05 AM

Borrowed Far Cry 5 from my brother-in-law. I can see why evangelical Christians got so up in arms about it. The game captures them perfectly. :D

Evil Tim 04-02-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44220)
Borrowed Far Cry 5 from my brother-in-law. I can see why evangelical Christians got so up in arms about it. The game captures them perfectly. :D

Yeah, I was really hoping it wouldn't just be "let's whine about contemporary politics" like that stupid Wolfenstein sequel and it seems to largely succeed. Polygon of course marked it down for not doing that.

Excalibur 04-02-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44220)

And yet not a single protest from those guys when Outlast 2 came out.

Excalibur 04-02-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44216)
Would you say it's worth getting?

For me, yeah, it was worth getting. So far I haven't been regretting the purchase as a whole. A lot of side content to do and despite some nitpicks, I've been having fun.

The whole plot I've done my best to just ignore because it makes no sense how an entire county disappears off the US government's radar especially with all this cult shit going on and the fact that a federal agent is missing while on an arrest warrant by himself

Excalibur 04-09-2018 02:23 PM

I am still playing Far Cry 5 and it is still pretty fun despite the lackluster weapon selection. This game needs more guns

Seriously 4 SMG selection and 3 of them are MP5s, 3 actual selections if you didn't buy this game new and the Kriss Vector is still locked

Spartan198 04-10-2018 05:07 AM

Sam Fisher is coming to Bolivia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmQhlVQpLI

And Micheal Ironside is back! They're also finally implementing AI teammate customization (long overdue) and there's gonna be a ghost pack including the SC-4000 assault rifle and FN Five-seveN from Blacklist, AN/PVS-21 and GPNVG-18 NVGs with flip up/down animations and their own night vision filter, another Splinter Cell outfit, Splinter Cell "Echelon" gloves, karambit knife melee takedowns (activated by wearing either the outfit or gloves), and some weapon camos.

Challenge rewards include Sam's tri-focal NVGs, new proximity mines, and a patch.

funkychinaman 04-19-2018 04:58 PM

https://deadline.com/2018/04/mask-f-...on-1202367320/

If the movie is great, I'm there. If it's terrible... okay, I'll be there too.

I know they've been kicking around MASK for a few years, and I think they may have missed their marketing sweet spot. People who grew up in the mid-eighties are no longer the most profitable demographic.

Excalibur 04-21-2018 03:30 AM

2 episodes into Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory and it's been fun to see this series back. Made some good caps on the site just now

Excalibur 04-26-2018 03:09 PM

Is anybody doing Westworld season 2?

funkychinaman 05-09-2018 12:56 AM

I can't believe Alex Winter was available.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-ted-3-1107419

Swordfish941 05-24-2018 11:36 PM

I bought System Shock 2 off of Steam, and I've spent the past few days playing the fuck out of it.

Speaking of Steam, I'm kinda salty that a lot of the games I want to play on it aren't supported for Mac use.

S&Wshooter 06-08-2018 04:48 AM

https://i.gyazo.com/1b98a6e25163c678...d26f468828.png

I'm waiting for the steam summer sale, starts on the 21st

Evil Tim 06-11-2018 05:27 AM

http://www.mechamericagreatagain.com/

Oh my.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW81CVvyB6w

For the unfamiliar.

Excalibur 06-12-2018 05:17 PM

Resident Evil 2 Remastered trailer is out.

Looks like they are keeping the 1998 time frame, though I can't tell if they are letting him keep his VP70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

S&Wshooter 06-22-2018 04:22 AM

Got Mount & Blade: Warband, and most of the expansions, today along with Max Payne 3, GTA IV, Dishonored, and the 2nd Call of Juarez. Have a pretty good stash of "I have nothing to play" games now