imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Handling (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1601)

ManiacallyChallenged 02-06-2011 10:46 AM

Gun Handling

Ok, let's all agree that sometimes actors and actresses flinch and have poor trigger safety.

Maybe, in order to be more professional, we can stop pointing this out every damn time it happens? I'm all for awarding good gun handling, like when actors have good trigger discipline or don't flinch(Robert Patrick as T-1000 in T2, or Michael Caine as Ex-Royal Marine in Harry Brown).

I just can't help but feel like we're being childish by looking down our noses at actors for not being firearms experts. I get embarrassed whenever I read a page with lots of that thrown in.

So what do you say, accentuate the positive from now on?

MT2008 02-06-2011 05:26 PM

We've had a rule against critiquing actors' gun handling for a long time. Unfortunately, some of the idiot anonymous users don't read and/or give a damn.

Excalibur 02-06-2011 05:32 PM

Yeah we all stop doing that a long time ago. Complimenting on good gun handling is ok

Gunmaster45 02-07-2011 06:29 AM

I used to critique a lot of gun-handling a year ago. It was because I had been checking out Legion of Fate's blog, where he used to go frame by frame through the guns in the movie, using a kind of campy form of cynicism throughout the page. I thought it'd add some humor to the pages, but it didn't really work out that way. :(

I don't do that anymore, but like it's been said, the anonymous users kind of crap all over things.

MoviePropMaster2008 02-07-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 25279)
Ok, let's all agree that sometimes actors and actresses flinch and have poor trigger safety.

Maybe, in order to be more professional, we can stop pointing this out every damn time it happens? I'm all for awarding good gun handling, like when actors have good trigger discipline or don't flinch(Robert Patrick as T-1000 in T2, or Michael Caine as Ex-Royal Marine in Harry Brown).

I just can't help but feel like we're being childish by looking down our noses at actors for not being firearms experts. I get embarrassed whenever I read a page with lots of that thrown in.

So what do you say, accentuate the positive from now on?

That's been a RULE for a while. If anyone reads the Rules they'll see it. Where have you been seeing it? I've noticed that IMFDB members have been pretty good about it for a while, and I'm particularly proud of some of the new members who correct bad posts, or admonish other new/anonymous members based on the rules (which means they read and follow the rules! which is hella cool! :D)

ManiacallyChallenged 02-08-2011 08:55 AM

The question is whether or not we should change old stuff with that kind of commentary. I see it every now and then, and it comes across as snarky and childish. Seems best to avoid.

Clutch 02-09-2011 04:17 AM

I say praise the good handling, and save criticism for the exceptionally bad cases. There's an image on the Burn Notice page that shows a guy holding a HK Mk. 23 with a horrifically bad low grip - so bad that he'd have probably eaten the front sight with the first shot. I can forgive teacupping, but something like that? Oy.