imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

mpe2010 10-26-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36551)
Becareful with the old Lady, I've read that Garands don't like the modern loadings of the .30-06 cartridge.

No worries, Im only going to run made for garand 150 grs through it.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP3006CAN

k9870 11-05-2012 05:04 PM

should be getting my g19 tomorrow

k9870 11-06-2012 08:26 PM

g19 is chilling in new york, sandy delayed shipping

Seriously Mike 11-15-2012 06:34 PM

Got myself an airsoft Tommygun, as in a "Chicago Typewriter", that funky foregrip, drum mag and all. One problem with it, though - it's got a finned barrel, funky foregrip, drum mag, rear sight hood...and a M1A1 receiver with non-adjustable rear sight. I don't blame them, though, nobody has EVER done a correct airsoft M1928 receiver. Not even CAW with their conversion kit.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2012 04:23 AM

100 rounds of 9mm on Monday, 1000 rounds of 9mm today

k9870 11-23-2012 04:05 PM

my glock will be ready tomorrow, they have it but have to put on the night sights, glock ant put them in at the factory because its illegal to import tritium sights now due to them being a "radioactive device."

Even if these night sights are trijicons that would have been made in the us, shipped to austria then came back to the country it was made in....

S&Wshooter 11-26-2012 01:14 AM

Three Pro-Mag made magazines for my 459 / 6906

A Hogue Monogrip for my 686P

k9870 11-27-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36899)

my 686 has the hogue no finger grroves mongrip, love it :)

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 36907)
my 686 has the hogue no finger grroves mongrip, love it :)

Mine has the plain ol' finger-grooved one. I'll eventually get a set of wood grips.

Speaking of the 686, I was poking around in my garage earlier and found a substantial amount of .38 and .357. Since I just picked up 1100 rounds of 9mm and had 1000 rounds of .45 socked away, this is pretty much the first time in a loooong while that I have had a decent amount of handgun ammo laying around.

predator20 11-27-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Pro-mags? Don't your Smiths deserve Mec-Gars?

I run the Pachmayr Gripper with the exposed backstrap on my 586. Model 10 has the full wraparound Pach, it was lying around.

Gun buying, I got a LW mid-length AR upper from AIM surplus and built that extra lower I had lying around. 300 Blackout will have to wait. Got another Hi-Power too, it will be on its way soon.

Guns sold. (S&Wshooter and Yournamehere are going to hate me)
Smith 4505, it was a tank and I'll likely never come across one again. But I like shooting my P220 better. Model 60, nice piece, but chewed my hand up. Prefer to carry and shoot the Kahr CM9. Model 64, it was DAO, got my Model 10.

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 36909)
Smith 4505, it was a tank and I'll likely never come across one again. But I like shooting my P220 better. Model 60, nice piece, but chewed my hand up. Prefer to carry and shoot the Kahr CM9. Model 64, it was DAO, got my Model 10.

"I sold my rare tank because I like shooting my other, normal tank more"

I can understand selling the Model 60 if it tears up your hand, and the Model 64's that have had their hammer spur lopped off are an abomination

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Pro-mags? Don't your Smiths deserve Mec-Gars?

I found them at Gander Mountain and my father offered to add them to the stuff he was picking up. Also, I've never come across any Mec-Gar mags for the Smith, and I tend not to buy things off of the internet unless I have to.

predator20 11-27-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36910)
"I sold my rare tank because I like shooting my other, normal tank more"

You're forgetting mine is an older stamped slide SIG. It weighs a good 1/2 lb less than a standard 1911. The 4505 was about 3 oz heavier than a standard 1911. So not quite a 3/4 lb difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36911)
I found them at Gander Mountain and my father offered to add them to the stuff he was picking up. Also, I've never come across any Mec-Gar mags for the Smith, and I tend not to buy things off of the internet unless I have to.

You should order one, if they are not in your area. The quality over a Pro-mag is major. I've used them in just about all of my pistols.

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 36912)
You're forgetting mine is an older stamped slide SIG. It weighs a good 1/2 lb less than a standard 1911. The 4505 was about 3 oz heavier than a standard 1911. So not quite a 3/4 lb difference.

No, I didn't even know which P220 you had

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 36912)
You should order one, if they are not in your area. The quality over a Pro-mag is major. I've used them in just about all of my pistols.

I will. From what I am seeing on Midway they only cost a few dollars more than Promag magazines, and if they're as high quality as you say, I will be getting more than my money's worth.

predator20 11-27-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36913)
No, I didn't even know which P220 you had

I posted a pic, but it was a long time ago. The newer SIGs can suck it.

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 36915)
I posted a pic, but it was a long time ago. The newer SIGs can suck it.

I remember the (NIB) P220 I fooled with a few years back feeling like a brick with a pistol grip, but that probably wouldn't have been the case if it had been loaded.

predator20 11-27-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36914)
I will. From what I am seeing on Midway they only cost a few dollars more than Promag magazines, and if they're as high quality as you say, I will be getting more than my money's worth.

I bought an extended Promag for the 4505. (Mecgar didn't make one) My XD also came with one, there's a difference in the steel they use. You pay a little extra but you get a lot more I feel.

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 05:14 AM

If I end up with a whole bunch of S&W Model 59 pattern magazines, I'm going to end up acquiring some more guns that take them, like a Kel tec Sub 2000, Marlin Camp 9, another 9mm Smith, Daewoo DP51, etc

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 05:22 AM

I found my speedloaders a minute ago. Turns out that trying to reload with them left-handed kind of sucks. Maybe I should try using speed strips

predator20 11-27-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 36918)
If I end up with a whole bunch of S&W Model 59 pattern magazines, I'm going to end up acquiring some more guns that take them, like a Kel tec Sub 2000, Marlin Camp 9, another 9mm Smith, Daewoo DP51, etc

You gotta give it to Smith for making the 59 series mags work in any generation. If I had the extra coin, I would get a 915 from the same seller that has the HP. He's got them for $250. I totally spaced out a few weeks ago and missed this killer deal on a 659. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=312494676

I wouldn't mind getting a Sub 2000 if the prices hadn't gone apeshit. I still got several Glock mags lying around.

S&Wshooter 11-27-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 36920)
I wouldn't mind getting a Sub 2000 if the prices hadn't gone apeshit. I still got several Glock mags lying around.

It'd be a sweet truck gun, and if I had one, I'd get a few more Model 59 pattern 20 rounders to go along with it.

ColonelTomb 12-23-2012 09:12 PM

Anyone going nuts before the very likely "Assault Weapons Ban" comes into effect? I'm looking into a Glock 21. I also have a feeling that I'll have my hands full reloading ammo over the next I-don't-know-how-long due to the inevitable shortages.

k9870 12-24-2012 07:10 PM

i backordered pmags just in case. There are none around though, theres people who already have 50 mags buying more while newer gun owners are getting nothing.

What i dont get, is i couldnt find much ammo on shelves. Obummer may ban Assault weapons (unlikely it will pass the republican controlled house) but that wouldnt ban ammo. To me its just stupidity. Buy what will be banned, leave whats safe. Half the people panic buyng are buying carry handguns that cant hold 10 rounds.

worst case scenario is a ban happens and congress gets gutted at midterms like in 94.

Yournamehere 12-25-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

What predator20 said. Mec-Gar and factory are vastly superior to Pro-Mag. I'd go so far as to say your dad wasted his money if he paid more than 20 bucks a pop for them. Even getting factory mags isn't that big of a deal on Midway, or ones for the 459 on Gunbroker. It's not that hard to get a money order made to pay someone on GB...

Quote:

I'm leaning more toward function over form considering my budget and that I'll be able to carry soon, and I've considered dumping my 92SB to fund a carry gun, so while it may have been a dumb move from a collectors standpoint, I understand and respect your decision sir. Now if you didn't make money on the black gem that is the 4505, then there's some concern there.

Oh yeah I took the course to get my permit. Gotta visit the FDOA and finish the process to get the card, and then sell either the 92SB or the Model 19 to fund a carry gun. Looking at a 6906 mostly for cost reasons, but it beats out my other choice, a P228, in that arena as well as finish and availability. I plan on perfecting it over time though as I'm not good on the mag disconnect, the bobbed hammer, the baseplates, or the grip.

S&Wshooter 12-25-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37311)
Oh yeah I took the course to get my permit. Gotta visit the FDOA and finish the process to get the card, and then sell either the 92SB or the Model 19 to fund a carry gun. Looking at a 6906 mostly for cost reasons, but it beats out my other choice, a P228, in that arena as well as finish and availability. I plan on perfecting it over time though as I'm not good on the mag disconnect, the bobbed hammer, the baseplates, or the grip.

I'd recommend the 6906, but don't get rid of a Model 19 to get one. Mine feels, in size, "just right", and I'll probably start carrying it in my truck after I get more 9mm hollowpoints

I agree with you about not being "good" with the baseplates. I think it would be better if they were flat

predator20 12-25-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37311)
I'm leaning more toward function over form considering my budget and that I'll be able to carry soon, and I've considered dumping my 92SB to fund a carry gun, so while it may have been a dumb move from a collectors standpoint, I understand and respect your decision sir. Now if you didn't make money on the black gem that is the 4505, then there's some concern there.

Yeah when I sold the 4505, it was the only one I've made money on. Most of time I'm lucky to break even or lose a little bit. I would sell the 92SB to fund a carry gun over the Model 19. Even though the 92SB isn't that common anymore, there's plenty of the 92FS models out there if you want to get another later on. The Model 19 not so much.

In gun purchase news, got a Springfield M1A "Loaded" this past weekend. Hell of time to get one, since most mag suppliers are sold out. But was able to find a few to purchase that were in stock. Also able to get some ammo at an okay price as well, since nobody really likes to bulk up on 7.62NATO.

SPEMack618 12-25-2012 04:22 PM

Pops gave me his Remington 1100 in 20 ga. for Christmas. He said he overheard my girlfriend talking about how she could never go skeet shooting or hunting with me because I didn't have a shotgun she could comfortably shoot.

Yournamehere 12-25-2012 09:08 PM

The reason I've considered the Model 19 over the 92SB is that Model 19s as a whole aren't as rare, and it's not practical for anything I'd do, nor is it the ideal collectors Model 19. It shoots good with the target trigger/hammer, but I never want to pay the ridiculous ammo bill for .357 Magnum, and I hate cleaning .38 Special rings out of the cylinder. As for collector status, it's not pinned and recessed, and even though the 6 inch barrel with the red ramp is rare, it's not quintessential like a 4 inch is. The long barrel makes it impossible to carry efficiently if I'm feeling wheelgunnish as well, and I'd be terrified of wearing the bluing. If I could do it over again I'd have bought a 4 inch Model 19-3 or 19-4 with the red ramp, or settled for a solid black front sight post. For a more functional revolver I would have gone for a Model 66 or early production 686, both of which are the most balanced in terms of practical use and collectibility.

The SB would be almost impossible to find again in any condition, though Predator is right on the FS front, and frankly the FS is way more quintessential and practical. But, as it stands, I can see myself taking the Beretta on a range trip (and I have since I got it) whereas I can't see myself taking the 19 (In the 3 years I was in Oregon, I never shot it due to cost reasons and inability to find 158 grain bullets to be on the safe side with the whole forcing cone concern).

All that said, I am still on the fence with it, and I do have a Hi-Power I could potentially part with as well... decisions, decisions.

AdAstra2009 12-26-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelTomb (Post 37285)
Anyone going nuts before the very likely "Assault Weapons Ban" comes into effect? I'm looking into a Glock 21. I also have a feeling that I'll have my hands full reloading ammo over the next I-don't-know-how-long due to the inevitable shortages.

I don't see the point on going crazy buying handguns before an assault weapons ban. The supreme court has already ruled that handguns are protected by the 2nd amendment.

predator20 12-26-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37318)
The reason I've considered the Model 19 over the 92SB is that Model 19s as a whole aren't as rare, and it's not practical for anything I'd do, nor is it the ideal collectors Model 19. It shoots good with the target trigger/hammer, but I never want to pay the ridiculous ammo bill for .357 Magnum, and I hate cleaning .38 Special rings out of the cylinder. As for collector status, it's not pinned and recessed, and even though the 6 inch barrel with the red ramp is rare, it's not quintessential like a 4 inch is. The long barrel makes it impossible to carry efficiently if I'm feeling wheelgunnish as well, and I'd be terrified of wearing the bluing. If I could do it over again I'd have bought a 4 inch Model 19-3 or 19-4 with the red ramp, or settled for a solid black front sight post. For a more functional revolver I would have gone for a Model 66 or early production 686, both of which are the most balanced in terms of practical use and collectibility.

The SB would be almost impossible to find again in any condition, though Predator is right on the FS front, and frankly the FS is way more quintessential and practical. But, as it stands, I can see myself taking the Beretta on a range trip (and I have since I got it) whereas I can't see myself taking the 19 (In the 3 years I was in Oregon, I never shot it due to cost reasons and inability to find 158 grain bullets to be on the safe side with the whole forcing cone concern).

Ah that's right a 6" barrel, more for target. I see where you're coming from. Neither will be seen that often in your LGS. But on GB there's plenty of Model 19s of course. There's no full size 92SBs, since it was a short generation in the Model 92 line. It was the end of the blued era.

Most of the handguns I've sold lately are because I have others I'm more likely to shoot instead. Also to consolidate magazines as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37318)
All that said, I am still on the fence with it, and I do have a Hi-Power I could potentially part with as well... decisions, decisions.

While it's not light, I carry my HP MKIII on occasion. Generally during a private gun deal, selling or buying. They have all turned our great and no weird vibes. But you never really know. I picked a up beater MKII to carry instead and keep the MKIII looking nice. If I remember right your HP is an older one with blued finish, so you're not going to want to carry it either.

ColonelTomb 12-26-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 37319)
I don't see the point on going crazy buying handguns before an assault weapons ban. The supreme court has already ruled that handguns are protected by the 2nd amendment.

Oh, the guns will be safe. It's the magazines I'm worried about. Since I don't have a high capacity handgun (the "highest capacity" handgun I have is a Nagant revolver @ 7 shots) I figure I should get one and a bunch of magazines while I can. Honestly, I can't figure out the ammo shortages either, but it is happening and I want to make sure and have enough ammo to get me by.

Excalibur 12-26-2012 04:16 AM

I really prefer not to call magazines higher than 10 rounds a "high capacity" magazine. I rather use the actual description like a 33 round mag or even the slang "extendo mag".

ColonelTomb 12-26-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37323)
I really prefer not to call magazines higher than 10 rounds a "high capacity" magazine. I rather use the actual description like a 33 round mag or even the slang "extendo mag".

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really don't like that either. I just didn't want to confuse anybody as to what I meant. It would be pretty pointless to buy a so called "low capacity" (10 or under) handgun now because they won't be affected by a potential ban.

Yournamehere 12-26-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 37320)
Ah that's right a 6" barrel, more for target. I see where you're coming from. Neither will be seen that often in your LGS. But on GB there's plenty of Model 19s of course. There's no full size 92SBs, since it was a short generation in the Model 92 line. It was the end of the blued era.

Interestingly enough I was told by a guy on BerettaForum that they produced them for 10 years which is a fairly long time, and they're still rare. I wonder how many they made in that span and what may have happened to them all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 37320)
While it's not light, I carry my HP MKIII on occasion. Generally during a private gun deal, selling or buying. They have all turned our great and no weird vibes. But you never really know. I picked a up beater MKII to carry instead and keep the MKIII looking nice. If I remember right your HP is an older one with blued finish, so you're not going to want to carry it either.

I carried it at my range and it never seemed to bother me, but I didn't have to conceal it so it may not be so easy in the real world. Not too hesitant to sell privately either, I just wanna make sure my bases are covered. I've considered going down to the local Gun Show when it next comes and seeing what I can sell there.

And my Hi Power, while classic, is totally a beater. It's got finish wear and dings that you just don't see in the few pictures I've posted of it. I didn't even pay that much for it either. When I have the money I'm definitely getting it refinished and maybe putting some new sights on it (S&W K Frame sights if anyone still does that anymore). The more Miami Vice I watch, the more I reconsider hard chrome.

predator20 12-26-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37327)
Interestingly enough I was told by a guy on BerettaForum that they produced them for 10 years which is a fairly long time, and they're still rare. I wonder how many they made in that span and what may have happened to them all.

I hate citing wikipedia, they have the 92SB Compact as being produced from '81-'91. But nothing on the full size. Assuming the full size started at the same time. How many after '85 when the 92F was introduced, would they have produced?

Yournamehere 12-26-2012 09:43 PM

Interesting, he said he referenced a book and not wiki, but maybe wiki referenced the same book, and it's just not clear? I have no clue really. I know mine was made in 1983 according to the factory codes. I really ought to note the serial numbers when I see them to check dates.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just stopped producing them after the 92F came out though, as it rendered it virtually obsolete.

Just to stay on topic though I'm having so much fun worrying about holster options for a carry set up. IWB is definitely the route I want to go, but I'm not sure on leather or kydex still, nor am I sure of what mag pouch to get (I may cave for the time being and use the well worn Galco DMC my friend gave me). Suggestions would be nice.

Also, predator, what rig do you use for carrying your Hi Power? Been looking for a carry type holster for that too.

predator20 12-26-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 37329)
Just to stay on topic though I'm having so much fun worrying about holster options for a carry set up. IWB is definitely the route I want to go, but I'm not sure on leather or kydex still, nor am I sure of what mag pouch to get (I may cave for the time being and use the well worn Galco DMC my friend gave me). Suggestions would be nice.

Also, predator, what rig do you use for carrying your Hi Power? Been looking for a carry type holster for that too.

Milt Sparks VM-2, along with their heavy belt as well. I have a mag holder made by them too, but I don't usually carry it. When I first have it on, I'm like "this is heavy", but after a while you get used to it. I had an OWB 55BN holster made at the same time for a 5" 1911 and a VM-2 for a Commander too. All in cordovan, nice matching set-up.

A holster in similar style would probably work just as well and not have to wait as long. But if you don't mind waiting Milt Sparks is the way to go for custom leather.

predator20 12-30-2012 02:58 PM

I moved all the post regarding the AWB to that thread. Just keeping things on topic. I don't think it created any confusion with the merge either.

SPEMack618 01-04-2013 04:37 PM

Pops gave my sister a S&W Bodyguard. The new auto-loader in .380 and I, with some help from my Lady Friend got her a pair of pink earmuffs.

I got a good pic, but can't seem to post it.

Might be good a thing, everybody seems to hit on my sister when I show pictures of her.

So yeah, that Bodyguard isn't what I would call fun to shoot, but Katherine can keep them all on paper at 15 yards with it, and make one ragged hole at seven, so it's good to go. Plus it's small enough so she won't leave it in her car or in her sock drawer.