imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   is there any real dshks, not just mocked up m2s? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1105)

k9870 06-16-2010 08:26 PM

is there any real dshks, not just mocked up m2s?

i see "fake dsh/mocked up m2" a lot on pages. Is there any real dshks in use?

S&Wshooter 06-16-2010 08:29 PM

I think there was one in The Boondock Saints

Gunmaster45 06-16-2010 08:30 PM

Depends where the movie was filmed and at what time from what I've seen. Movies like Rambo III had access to real Soviet weaponry and a real DShK is used in that, a real one is also used in Shooter and the Wolverine movie. (only ones that come to mind currently) but in the US I assume armorers have a lot of those mocked up DShKs and .50 BMG blanks are easier to aquire than 12.7x109mm rounds. But if authenticity is requested I assume they'll use real ones at this point.

Phoenixent 06-17-2010 01:44 PM

There are at least 10 real dshk's that I know of in the motion picture armories on the west coast. They have been re-chambered to fire 50 BMG. I just used a pair of them on the TV pilot CHAOS.

MT2008 06-19-2010 02:25 PM

It seems to be mostly American and Canadian armorers who use the "fake" DShKs. Other armories outside of the U.S. have access to the real deal, especially countries that fought wars with ex-Soviet client states and captured lots of Russian weapons from them. For example, the Israeli movie armorers have access to DShKs captured from Arab armies, the South African armorers would have DShKs captured from the ANC and neighboring states like Angola and Mozambique, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixent (Post 14621)
There are at least 10 real dshk's that I know of in the motion picture armories on the west coast. They have been re-chambered to fire 50 BMG. I just used a pair of them on the TV pilot CHAOS.

Thanks for that info. Also, do you know how many of the "fake" DShKs (the ones made from M2HBs) are still in the industry? We still document those being used from time-to-time in current movies.

Phoenixent 06-20-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14685)
Thanks for that info. Also, do you know how many of the "fake" DShKs (the ones made from M2HBs) are still in the industry? We still document those being used from time-to-time in current movies.

There are at least 8 Dshk's mod kits here in the west coast. They were built for the industry by Guiette Manufacturing Inc.

MoviePropMaster2008 06-20-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixent (Post 14700)
There are at least 8 Dshk's mod kits here in the west coast. They were built for the industry by Guiette Manufacturing Inc.

I've seen several real FULL DSHKs that at movie armories. the fake DSHKs made from Browning M2s are disappearing (like the C&C HK94s).

MT2008 06-20-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixent (Post 14700)

Thanks again for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 14704)
I've seen several real FULL DSHKs that at movie armories. the fake DSHKs made from Browning M2s are disappearing (like the C&C HK94s).

Speaking of which (Steve, maybe you can answer this, too), whatever happened to the DShKs made from M60s that were in "Red Dawn"? Are those still around, or did they just convert them back to M60s?

MoviePropMaster2008 06-20-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14707)
Speaking of which (Steve, maybe you can answer this, too), whatever happened to the DShKs made from M60s that were in "Red Dawn"? Are those still around, or did they just convert them back to M60s?

Those were converted back to M60 form. The M60/DSHKs were no longer necessary (or pretty) when the first batch of DSHK Barrels started coming in from overseas.

gunguy001 06-27-2010 09:51 PM

Just used a DSHK, we have it chambered for .50
working on a quad mount, I like making noise around hair and make up people.