imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

S&Wshooter 05-03-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38918)
Then you are playing the wrong game if all you care about is guns. The MGS series of games is part awesome gunplay and action and part really intense story telling.

Don't care! :cool:

Swordfish941 05-03-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38913)
Oh and the Manga. If you ever find the manga for BR, read that. It is also pretty great...and graphic

Is it graphic violence-wise or graphic-nudity wise?

The Wierd It 05-03-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38922)

Considering this is a series wherein every character is fitted with a collar that makes their head explode if they try to escape or remove it, coupled with the kill or be killed nature of what they've been dumped into, I'd say violence.

funkychinaman 05-03-2013 05:22 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...Top+Stories%29

I see a very nice page coming out of this.

SPEMack618 05-03-2013 05:33 PM

Nice. And for what it's worth, I like Bradley Cooper for his roles outside of the Hangover and the A-Team.

Even though seeing the links for Hangover III interspersed through the story was hilarious.

And as always, the comment section brings out the worst in the internet.

Excalibur 05-03-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 38922)

It's both actually. It involves at least one really dark back story of one of the girls. But the rest of the story is mostly violence.

Swordfish941 05-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38928)
It's both actually. It involves at least one really dark back story of one of the girls. But the rest of the story is mostly violence.

Sweet. (10characters)

funkychinaman 05-03-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38927)
Nice. And for what it's worth, I like Bradley Cooper for his roles outside of the Hangover and the A-Team.

Even though seeing the links for Hangover III interspersed through the story was hilarious.

And as always, the comment section brings out the worst in the internet.

If SPR and War Horse are any indication, Spielberg does his homework.

SPEMack618 05-03-2013 10:30 PM

War Horse was hard for me to watch, for that very reason.

I'm excited for it. And I will be gloriously jingonistic here, but I hope it truly is a real life "Captain America" set in Iraq, not some horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad.

SOC Kyle, from his book atleast, took pride in the uniform and the job he'd done. I hope the film shows that.

Spartan198 05-04-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38935)
SOC Kyle, from his book atleast, took pride in the uniform and the job he'd done. I hope the film shows that.

As do I, but knowing Hollywood, they'll try as hard as they can to turn it into another Green Zone.

funkychinaman 05-04-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38940)
As do I, but knowing Hollywood, they'll try as hard as they can to turn it into another Green Zone.

I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.

Excalibur 05-05-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38941)
I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.

Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies

Swordfish941 05-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38943)
Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies

I've seen that joke so many times its lost any of its funniness to me.

Chitoryu12 05-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38918)
Then you are playing the wrong game if all you care about is guns. The MGS series of games is part awesome gunplay and action and part really intense story telling.

The gunplay in MGS isn't even that awesome. It's primarily a stealth game, so no matter how much attention to detail they put into the guns and animations you're going to spend the vast majority of the gameplay not shooting anything, and only occasionally popping a guard in the back of the head when nobody else is around. In between arcadey boss fights against people with nanomachine magic or power armor.

Note how I said "most of the gameplay." If I said "most of the game", that post would have been about how you spend most of it watching the game play itself. MGS4 is the only game I know of that not only has enough cutscenes to fill about 5 feature films, but will give you control for literally 5 seconds before going into another cutscene.

SPEMack618 05-05-2013 05:28 PM

Honestly, that is the first time I've seen it in reference to anything, so I lol'ed a little bit.

Yeah, if Spielberg goes all angsty, hopefully it will be in regards to SOC Kyle and his personal life, which like most military families, had some rocky parts.

funkychinaman 05-05-2013 06:08 PM

Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.

Spartan198 05-05-2013 07:10 PM

I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.

funkychinaman 05-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38951)
I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.

The man does run his own studio, and he's produced most of his own movies in the past decade. He also produced Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, for what it's worth.

He's had his misses, but I think he's a had a fairly good track record with war movies. I'm looking forward to renting Lincoln soon.

Evil Tim 05-06-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38949)
Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.

Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.

funkychinaman 05-06-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38959)
Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.

Hammond and Malcolm died in the book, and lived in the movie, so that's a tradeoff. And it'd kind of take away from the suspense if you could just shoot the dinosaurs wouldn't it? Halloween and Friday the 13th would've been over in minutes if Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees couldn't shrug off bullet wounds.

(BTW, there are FIFTY titles in the Spielberg category, and 24 of them are features directed by him. That is mind-blowing.)

Evil Tim 05-06-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38960)
Hammond and Malcolm died in the book, and lived in the movie, so that's a tradeoff. And it'd kind of take away from the suspense if you could just shoot the dinosaurs wouldn't it? Halloween and Friday the 13th would've been over in minutes if Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees couldn't shrug off bullet wounds.

Well, still, I have a feeling it was more to do with the old slasher movie belief that monsters have a secret morality-sense and only kill people who offend it, so fluffy old Richard Attenborough doesn't get it but the lawyer, the fat obnoxious guy and the guy who wants to shoot the things trying to eat them do. It does get really stupid in the second movie where a bunch of trained soldiers with automatic weapons don't even manage to bring down one raptor and then a kid kills one using the power of gymnastics.

funkychinaman 05-06-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38962)
Well, still, I have a feeling it was more to do with the old slasher movie belief that monsters have a secret morality-sense and only kill people who offend it, so fluffy old Richard Attenborough doesn't get it but the lawyer, the fat obnoxious guy and the guy who wants to shoot the things trying to eat them do. It does get really stupid in the second movie where a bunch of trained soldiers with automatic weapons don't even manage to bring down one raptor and then a kid kills one using the power of gymnastics.

Hey, Sam Jackson got it too (or maybe he just got his arm torn off and survived) and his sin was ... chain-smoking? I'd really like to know if Hammond was scripted to die before they cast Richard Attenborough, or if they had to reshoot the ending later on so that he lived, because the film would've ended on a downer if a loveable guy like him had died. (Attenborough's very next role was Santa Klaus.)

Evil Tim 05-06-2013 06:11 PM

I'm fairly sure they re-wrote, because there's quite a few scenes which are supposed to establish Hammond as a control freak somewhere on the autism spectrum who doesn't understand people and wants something he can control every aspect of, but which are re-written to downplay what they're actually supposed to be showing. For example, as I recall the implication of the scene where he talks about getting the baby raptors to imprint on him is he isn't getting them to imprint on the people who'll actually have to work with them (which is getting them killed) and Nedry's supposed to have a much stronger case about how unreasonable an employer Hammond is (which they solve by just making him fat and gross). He's written more true to character in the script for Trespasser, weirdly enough, and Attenborough really nails what a broken and pathetic person the novel's Hammond is supposed to be under all his showmanship.

funkychinaman 05-06-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38966)
I'm fairly sure they re-wrote, because there's quite a few scenes which are supposed to establish Hammond as a control freak somewhere on the autism spectrum who doesn't understand people and wants something he can control every aspect of, but which are re-written to downplay what they're actually supposed to be showing. For example, as I recall the implication of the scene where he talks about getting the baby raptors to imprint on him is he isn't getting them to imprint on the people who'll actually have to work with them (which is getting them killed) and Nedry's supposed to have a much stronger case about how unreasonable an employer Hammond is (which they solve by just making him fat and gross). He's written more true to character in the script for Trespasser, weirdly enough, and Attenborough really nails what a broken and pathetic person the novel's Hammond is supposed to be under all his showmanship.

I read the book back when the movie actually came out so I don't really remember the nuances of the characters.

funkychinaman 05-06-2013 06:59 PM

My buddy and I beat Sniper Elite V2 over the weekend. It's a really fun game although the poor selection of weapons is a bit frustrating. You only get three rifles, three SMGs and three pistols unless you preorder and/or buy the DLC. Which is fine if you buy the game for $13 used like me, but would suck if you paid the full $60 for it. The K98k on the cover isn't even included, you only get that as a pre-order bonus.

There are three difficulties, and the shooting mechanics are modified for each one. I've only done the middle one, which has bullet drop but doesn't take wind into account. I'm a bit surprised they didn't account for trigger pull like MOH: Airborne did. It's the only game I've seen that in, and you'd think if any game was going to do it, it'd be a sniper game.

Evil Tim 05-06-2013 07:06 PM

Basically Crichton plays it as morality-tale too, but according to his rules; acting like the park will function in any predictable way = die, be prepared for the worst = live. I think he kills off Malcolm because while he says everything's going to go wrong, he doesn't actually do anything much about it and goes along anyway. His Hammond dies having learned nothing at all and fantasising about starting up a new park, only to get et by compies thus showing that the very forces he tried to control etc.

Yeah, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Still, Muldoon got to kill some raptors with TOW missiles, no three-week unfolding the stock of a SPAS death for him there.

Excalibur 05-07-2013 02:54 AM

Just saw Iron Man 3 and you would not see the villain twist coming.

Evil Tim 05-07-2013 03:42 AM

The villain knows the secret of why he's called Iron Man.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...6_1722103a.jpg

"Noooooooooo!"

funkychinaman 05-07-2013 04:26 AM

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cops...p-by-spike-tv/

Cops was still on? I still watch a few Fox shows, and I don't think I've seen a promo for Cops in the past decade.

Spartan198 05-07-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38974)
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cops...p-by-spike-tv/

Cops was still on? I still watch a few Fox shows, and I don't think I've seen a promo for Cops in the past decade.

The bigger story is that America's Most Wanted ran longer than I ever thought it did, since I'm 29 now and haven't heard a promo for it since I was, like, 8.

funkychinaman 05-07-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38975)
The bigger story is that America's Most Wanted ran longer than I ever thought it did, since I'm 29 now and haven't heard a promo for it since I was, like, 8.

I actually did know about AMW, but only because I was at the Crime and Punishment Museum in DC a few years ago, and I actually saw the set. My reaction then, though, was the same as yours, "Is this still on?"

Swordfish941 05-07-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38972)
Just saw Iron Man 3 and you would not see the villain twist coming.

I didn't saw that plot twist coming either. Now let the bitching by a bunch of angry fanboys begin.

funkychinaman 05-07-2013 05:43 PM

I understand the importance of brand recognition, but this seems a bit of a stretch.

http://kotaku.com/http-www-youtube-c...tein-493619083

Evil Tim 05-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38979)
I understand the importance of brand recognition, but this seems a bit of a stretch.

It might be more brand maintenance than brand recognition; if you don't actually use a trademark for anything it's possible to lose it (this is why Megatron keeps switching his name to Galvatron and back in Transformers, for example). Since Activision's just buried the James Bond license and I think they canned the Prototype games after the second one, they're probably dusting off their old IPs to palm off to their second-rate third-party studios to keep the trademarks. The 2008 Wolfenstein's creators included Pi Studios, the idiots who made the level Blowtorch and Corkscrew in CoD: World at War, for God's sake.

funkychinaman 05-07-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38980)
It might be more brand maintenance than brand recognition; if you don't actually use a trademark for anything it's possible to lose it (this is why Megatron keeps switching his name to Galvatron and back in Transformers, for example). Since Activision's just buried the James Bond license and I think they canned the Prototype games after the second one, they're probably dusting off their old IPs to palm off to their second-rate third-party studios to keep the trademarks. The 2008 Wolfenstein's creators included Pi Studios, the idiots who made the level Blowtorch and Corkscrew in CoD: World at War, for God's sake.

It's actually Bethesda Softworks. It looks like them and Id are now owned by the same parent company. (And I thought they turned Megatron into Galvatron to sell more toys. I don't think he ever went back to being Megatron in the old Sunbow series.)

SPEMack618 05-07-2013 06:03 PM

You mean that level wasn't an accurate representation of how flame gunners were deployed in WWII?

Because every Marine is a rifleman...so they can operate a flamethrower too.:confused:

That level led to certain amount of headdesking on my behalf in the fraternity house.

Evil Tim 05-07-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38981)
(And I thought they turned Megatron into Galvatron to sell more toys. I don't think he ever went back to being Megatron in the old Sunbow series.)

Yeah, that was originally the case, but these days it's trademark-keeping. Most blatantly when he changed his name to Galvatron halfway through Armada and then back again when he turned up in Energon, then back to Galvatron again near the end of that series. Hasbro's VP of intellectual property said in so many words that this stupidity was done to protect their trademarks on both names.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38982)
You mean that level wasn't an accurate representation of how flame gunners were deployed in WWII?

Well, in terms of bad design it was more the infinite respawns that don't go away until you've walked well past them. Finishing the level on Veteran is basically a matter of hoping the game screws you over slightly less than usual.

funkychinaman 05-07-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38984)
Yeah, that was originally the case, but these days it's trademark-keeping. Most blatantly when he changed his name to Galvatron halfway through Armada and then back again when he turned up in Energon, then back to Galvatron again near the end of that series. Hasbro's VP of intellectual property said in so many words that this stupidity was done to protect their trademarks on both names.

Oh, I never watched Armada. They could've just gone the easy route and made Megatron and Galvatron separate characters like they did in some incarnations.

k9870 05-08-2013 01:31 AM

i loved iron man 3, ending is weird though, gota make some changes for the next avengers

Chitoryu12 05-08-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 38987)
i loved iron man 3, ending is weird though, gota make some changes for the next avengers

Well, RDJ fulfilled his contractual obligations with Iron Man 3. I have no doubt that he'll be back in The Avengers 2, but the guy's getting old. He'll be 50 by the time that movie comes out, and he seriously hurt himself and got laid up for 6 weeks during Iron Man 3's filming from a simple wire stunt. He keeps himself in great shape, but exercise only does so much to keep you in good physical condition. He'll have to tone down the big action flicks at some point, probably very soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38959)

Most people didn't use a firearm at all in the first movie. There were exactly two times where anyone fired a gun: shooting M16s into the raptor cage in the intro and Grant firing a few SPAS-12 shots off-screen before dropping it from a jam. The only other time anybody even touched a gun was Muldoon setting up for the raptors and getting ambushed.

Lost World got stymied mostly by the protagonists being horrible people (essentially the real villains of the piece) and endangering the hunters, to the point of pulling the powder from the elephant gun's ammo just to stick it to him....and then he couldn't defend the camp from a rampaging T-Rex.

Third film was, again, barely anything. The mercs got almost 100% killed off at the start, though admittedly a Spinosaurus isn't exactly something you want to chase after with an assault rifle and handgun.