imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 12-12-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37110)
Seen a new set of preview shots for the eternally delayed Aliens: Colonial Marine. Seems they've put ghost ring sights on the pulse rifle (+10 sacrilege points right there) and the motion sensor is a silly handheld thing that you can't use a weapon with. Because everyone loved that in Doom 3 and it's not like the duct tape mod was one of the most popular PC mods of all time.

This is going to hurt. :(

Well, the motion sensor was a separate handheld unit in the movie, although I suppose they could've let you use a pistol with it.

Evil Tim 12-12-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37116)
Well, the motion sensor was a separate handheld unit in the movie, although I suppose they could've let you use a pistol with it.

Well yeah, but it worked fine having in the HUD in AVP2, since they were clever and made sure absolutely every moving object set it off as a blip (including every opening door, which they also made sound like they were whispering your character's name). It was another way to increase the tension. The fact that they're making you make a sacrifice to equip it makes me think it's just going to be magic aliens here shoot aliens radar.

Excalibur 12-12-2012 03:58 PM

I think a lot of future tech of that movie didn't quite age well with how the world has changed since then like optics on rifles or having the motion sensors be smaller and maybe even strapped to an arm instead of a heavy separate item you carry.

MT2008 12-14-2012 04:06 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger + David Ayer = "Ten". Anyone besides me wonder whether that's really such a good match?

Though to be fair, the way that Arnold changed his look for the part suggests that he's at least trying to play an actual character in this movie (instead of playing a version of himself, which is what he's done for most of his career):

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploa...arzenegger.jpg

MT2008 12-14-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37119)
I think a lot of future tech of that movie didn't quite age well with how the world has changed since then like optics on rifles or having the motion sensors be smaller and maybe even strapped to an arm instead of a heavy separate item you carry.

Yeah, I first saw "Aliens" when I was about 12, by which point the movie was already more than 10 years old. The weapons and military technology still seemed futuristic then, especially the pulse rifles. But now that accessory rails and optical/red-dot sights have become standard issue on infantry weapons, the M41A is finally starting to seem dated rather than futuristic.

It's still one of my favorite movie guns, though.

Excalibur 12-14-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 37166)

I don't know what movie this is but wow, I had to look twice to see that it's Arnold. Damn he looks so different from The Last Stand where he's just completely out of it. This one, he looks really cool.

funkychinaman 12-14-2012 08:17 PM

You have to wonder why it took this long:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._eastwood.html

Swordfish941 12-14-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37170)
You have to wonder why it took this long:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._eastwood.html

Cool. This is like a reversal of how The Magnificent Seven was adapted from Seven Samurai and A Fistful of Dollars was adapted from Yojimbo.

Evil Tim 12-15-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 37167)
Yeah, I first saw "Aliens" when I was about 12, by which point the movie was already more than 10 years old. The weapons and military technology still seemed futuristic then, especially the pulse rifles. But now that accessory rails and optical/red-dot sights have become standard issue on infantry weapons, the M41A is finally starting to seem dated rather than futuristic.

My main issue with it is that the sights simply do not look like they belong on the gun. I'm sure you could think of a way to put a sight on it that didn't blatantly clash with the rest of it.

Also, I've just seen this trailer and I want to watch that movie and possibly marry it.

funkychinaman 12-15-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37172)
My main issue with it is that the sights simply do not look like they belong on the gun. I'm sure you could think of a way to put a sight on it that didn't blatantly clash with the rest of it.

Also, I've just seen this trailer and I want to watch that movie and possibly marry it.

The rear sight seems okay, but that front sight, wow.

And holy crap, I saw that trailer last night, and yeah, that might make my must-see-in-theater list. (Although they did mess up the location of the gun ports on the F-22...)

Swordfish941 12-15-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37172)

I want to see that badly. If it's successful, it could lead to other Giant Robot movies.

MT2008 12-15-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37169)
I don't know what movie this is

Um, I just told you the name of the movie in the post, dude...it's called "Ten" and it is directed by David Ayer. They're filming it in Atlanta now.

Excalibur 12-16-2012 05:04 AM

I thought you were spelling out the number...I know, stupid me.

You know what else caught my eye about Arnold in this photo? For the first time ever, Arnold is displaying trigger discipline

Evil Tim 12-16-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37173)
The rear sight seems okay, but that front sight, wow.

Maybe it's supposed to double as a tiny bayonet?

MT2008 12-16-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37180)
You know what else caught my eye about Arnold in this photo? For the first time ever, Arnold is displaying trigger discipline

If it's a David Ayer movie, I would imagine that Arnie and the rest of the cast went through extensive firearms training, exactly as Keanu Reeves did for "Street Kings". So expect a similar level of realism here.

Swordfish941 12-17-2012 05:06 AM

I may get shit for this, but I absolutely hated Neon Genesis Evangelion. Too much angst and nihilism, and I couldn't fucking stand Shinji. I got sick of him quick with his spinelessness and feeling sorry for himself all of the time.

I don't mean to piss any Evangelion fans off. I'm just saying that its not my cup of tea.

Evil Tim 12-17-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37198)
I may get shit for this, but I absolutely hated Neon Genesis Evangelion. Too much angst and nihilism, and I couldn't fucking stand Shinji. I got sick of him quick with his spinelessness and feeling sorry for himself all of the time.

You're not actually supposed to like Shinji, the show is about what would happen if you put a real nervous loser into the situation depicted in giant robot anime (ie he would become a nervous loser with severe shellshock).

Excalibur 12-17-2012 01:16 PM

Actually the manga adaption and the new Rebuild series, Shinji is actually tolerable and much less emo and whiny

Evil Tim 12-17-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37206)
Actually the manga adaption and the new Rebuild series, Shinji is actually tolerable and much less emo and whiny

Well yeah, but that's in part because Anno isn't clinically depressed anymore and so can make characters he doesn't actively hate.

Swordfish941 12-17-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37206)

Does he still masturbate to comatose girls?

The Wierd It 12-17-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37210)
Does he still masturbate to comatose girls?

Not in Rebuild as far as I have seen.

Excalibur 12-18-2012 01:33 AM

They really made Shinji not so much of a wuss in 2.22

The Wierd It 12-18-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37221)
They really made Shinji not so much of a wuss in 2.22

It helps that the Super Robot Wars games did that already.

Excalibur 12-18-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 37227)
It helps that the Super Robot Wars games did that already.

The manga adaptions and alternate stories of Eva have already done that for me

funkychinaman 12-19-2012 03:32 PM

Okay, I can buy that. Can we now try explaining away The World is Not Enough]?

Excalibur 12-19-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 37243)

Never send me Eva fanfics ever again....in fact never send me fanfics ever again

Swordfish941 12-19-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37246)
Never send me Eva fanfics ever again....in fact never send me fanfics ever again

Okay. I'll go and delete my post.

The Wierd It 12-19-2012 06:25 PM

And this is why I don't pimp my own work.

Excalibur 12-19-2012 08:28 PM

I write fanfics on occasion, but I try not to read other fanfics unless there's a good reputation behind it. So I joke that every fanfic is either bad mary sue stories or bad romances and smut

The Wierd It 12-19-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37250)
bad mary sue stories

My work in a nutshell.

S&Wshooter 12-19-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 37211)
Not in Rebuild as far as I have seen.

Just assume that he's still doing it and that they just aren't showing it to the viewer

funkychinaman 12-21-2012 08:57 PM

Gamefly has their end of year used game sale on right now. Free shipping on all used games. Gamefly used games have the advantage of having all of the codes that normally come with a new game still intact.

Evil Tim 12-22-2012 08:32 AM

I see THQ has finally managed to go bankrupt after years of spirited attempts to do so. Also Steam sale, yay.

Excalibur 12-22-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37281)
I see THQ has finally managed to go bankrupt after years of spirited attempts to do so. Also Steam sale, yay.

That explains the THQ collection bundle. Over a dozen games that can easily equal in value up to 180 plus dollars for 24 on Steam

S&Wshooter 12-29-2012 05:30 AM

Jack Reacher was not as good nor as faithful to the book as it could have been, but it is still worth seeing

funkychinaman 01-02-2013 05:11 PM

Finally played and beat Black Ops 2 over the holiday weekend. So they did their homework and properly rendered a KH-9 satellite, but their C-130 was a C-17 with propellers?

And wasn't Da Nang in SOUTH Vietnam prior to 1972?

Overall, a fun game, but zombies is a pain in the ass if people aren't talking to each other.

Excalibur 01-02-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37380)
Finally played and beat Black Ops 2 over the holiday weekend. So they did their homework and properly rendered a KH-9 satellite, but their C-130 was a C-17 with propellers?

And wasn't Da Nang in SOUTH Vietnam prior to 1972?

Overall, a fun game, but zombies is a pain in the ass if people aren't talking to each other.

I had fun with this game a lot better than MW3. The controls right off are better than Black Ops 1. I love how you can actually select your loadout before each mission start like in multiplayer even with perks. Though I still have no idea who the hell Menendaz is or how he got so powerful or what Cordis Die actually means.

funkychinaman 01-02-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 37381)
I had fun with this game a lot better than MW3. The controls right off are better than Black Ops 1. I love how you can actually select your loadout before each mission start like in multiplayer even with perks. Though I still have no idea who the hell Menendaz is or how he got so powerful or what Cordis Die actually means.

In the ending that I got, it revealed that Cordis Die was Latin for "Judgment Day."

Selecting the loadout was probably my favorite feature of the game. No more searching dead bodies for guns.

SPEMack618 01-04-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 37358)
Jack Reacher was not as good nor as faithful to the book as it could have been, but it is still worth seeing

I agree. Wasn't directly faithful to the story, but in my opinion, still true to the spirit of the book and Maj Reacher (ret.). I saw with it my Lady Friend and will probably see it again with Pops who is a huge Jack Reacher fan.

Swordfish941 01-04-2013 04:51 PM

I've decided to watch One Piece, and this was my reaction finding out there are over 500 episodes:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcqeexaGKR1qa12ro.gif