imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Medal of Honor (2010) (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=989)

Spartan198 03-20-2010 01:18 AM

Medal of Honor (2010)

Quote:

The past week has seen several major news stories centered on Afghanistan, culminating in last night's announcement by President Obama that is he is dispatching 30,000 more troops to the war-torn nation. Today, Afghanistan figured prominently in the game world, when Electronic Arts announced it would be the setting for the long-rumored reboot of its Medal of Honor franchise, titled simply "Medal of Honor."

Due out in fall 2010 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, Medal of Honor will be the first installment in the once-top-selling series to not be set during World War II. The first-person shooter will instead focus on a member of the most elite group inside the modern-day US Special Operations Command, the shadowy Tier 1 Operators.

EA says its Los Angeles studio has been working closely with actual Tier 1 Operators, whose real-life experiences will provide the basis for Medal of Honor's story. Presumably one such solider is the inspiration for the game's cover soldier, who sports a distinctly non-military backwards baseball cap and bushy beard in addition to his assault rifle. However, such outfits were indeed sported by US Special Forces in Afghanistan, as shown in a 2002 Life magazine photo feature, to better blend in with the heavily bearded local population. Later that year, soldiers were ordered to shave, according to CNN.

In a statement, executive producer Greg Goodrich said EALA is emphasizing realism in the game. "When we first set out to reinvent Medal of Honor, we wanted to stay true to its roots of authenticity and respect for the soldier but bring it into today's war," he said. The most popular military shooter to date, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, took some criticism from reviewers for having a highly implausible storyline. Its developer, Infinity Ward, was created by former Medal of Honor developers who left EA in 2002.

While EALA will focus on Medal of Honor's single-player campaign, another internal studio, EA DICE, will be handling the multiplayer mode. The Swedish studio, formerly known as Digital Illusions CE, is renowned for the multiplayer modes of its Battlefield series, which will continue next March with Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

EA did not announce any further details on the game other than its cover art. However, the game's official Web site shows its setting will be in eastern Afghanistan, just southwest of the mountain stronghold of Tora Bora where Tier 1 Special Forces almost captured Osama Bin Laden in 2001. Last fall, that battle was recounted by a member of the unit involved on 60 Minutes on CBS, GameSpot's parent company.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6241872.html

So far, it's looking like MoH might blow CoD out of the water. Let's now just hope we get a half-way decent list of weapons that are relevant to the setting and forces involved, like no P90s or AA-12s...

And here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1njQ...eature=channel

Excalibur 03-20-2010 03:42 AM

We can only hope, but they'll most likely have some variety in weapons, otherwise, it'd be a boring selection.

S&Wshooter 03-20-2010 04:11 AM

Hopefully I will be able to bust some terrorist domes wide open with a Makarov or an FAL

Spartan198 03-20-2010 06:01 AM

Are there any instances if FALs being used by al-Qaida or the Taliban? :confused:

S&Wshooter 03-20-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 12570)
Are there any instances if FALs being used by al-Qaida or the Taliban? :confused:

I dunno. Probably

Excalibur 03-20-2010 04:29 PM

We'll probably be seeing MP5s, M9s, 1911s, M4s, M16s, SAWs, etc. The typical guns used by the military today. But since this is a game, there will most likely be odd guns coming into the picture.

S&Wshooter 03-20-2010 07:48 PM

Maybe a few CZ-75's?

Excalibur 03-20-2010 08:08 PM

A CZ-75...You wish

S&Wshooter 03-20-2010 08:15 PM

If they added a CZ-75, it'd make up for that crap pile that was MOH: Airborne, where it took 3 mags to kill enemies sometimes and you only get to use the C96 twice

Excalibur 03-20-2010 10:38 PM

Weren't C96s kinda rare in WWII Germany?

S&Wshooter 03-20-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 12580)
Weren't C96s kinda rare in WWII Germany?

If a gun's in a game, I would like to be able to use it more than a few times

Spartan198 03-21-2010 02:45 AM

The game is set in 2002, so hopefully we won't be seeing XM8s, SCARs, and ACRs, among others. At least not in single player. I could care less what appears in multi-player personally.

Excalibur 03-21-2010 02:29 PM

Really? 2002? I thought it's set today

Bugabear 03-22-2010 03:09 AM

I think it'd be like Bad Company 2 and MW2 combined minus the destructable enviroments. Looks like you can drive stuff around. Liking that guy's beard.

Nyles 03-22-2010 09:08 AM

No FALs in Afghanistan, and very few C/96s in WW2 Germany.

Markost 03-22-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 12607)

There are some FALs in hands of private contractors in Iraq. But not in Afghanistan, I guess that the 7.62x51 is hard to find in hands of the insurgents.

Rockwolf66 03-22-2010 03:11 PM

No FN FAL rifles in Afganistan but there are lots of G3 rifles to be had. Pakastan makes the G3 and the Taliban gets them through contacts in Pakastan's Tribal region. Hopefully they have the G3 and don't make it semiautomatic only.

MT2008 03-22-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 12610)
Pakastan makes the G3 and the Taliban gets them through contacts in Pakastan's Tribal region.

Most likely, Iranian contacts. Their state arms plants have been building G3s for almost as long as the Germans have.

Excalibur 03-22-2010 07:02 PM

So these aren't really H&K G3s

S&Wshooter 03-22-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 12607)

Guess my dreams of bustin' caps with an FAL are once again squashed

Nyles 03-23-2010 02:19 AM

I would not be shocked to see a G3 clone in Afg, but they've never been reported. The Iranians wouldn't sell them either, it's too obvious, as they do not officially provide aid. Espescially when they also make AKs.

Insurgent weapons, by and large, are the Ak-47, RPD, RPK, PKM, RPG-7, DShK, B-10 recoilless rifle, and various 82mm mortars. Getting correspondingly rarer as they heavier. Sniper rifles and Soviet legacy AK-74s have been reported but at exceptionally rare.

Markit 03-23-2010 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 12611)
Most likely, Iranian contacts. Their state arms plants have been building G3s for almost as long as the Germans have.

Pakistan has also been building G3s under license since the 1960s, and it seems far more likely that the Taliban could acquire them in the tribal regions, whether through arms sales or capturing them from security forces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 12610)
No FN FAL rifles in Afganistan but there are lots of G3 rifles to be had. Pakastan makes the G3 and the Taliban gets them through contacts in Pakastan's Tribal region. Hopefully they have the G3 and don't make it semiautomatic only.

Here's a picture of a Taliban with a G3 (probably of Pakistani manufacture, since Iranian G3s continue to have the old vented handguards).

Markost 03-23-2010 03:28 AM

The problem is the logistic, itīs easier to have a standard caliber (in this case the 7.62x39) for most of the weapons than having a mixture of cartridges.

Quote:

Here's a picture of a Taliban with a G3 (probably of Pakistani manufacture, since Iranian G3s continue to have the old vented handguards).
Note the scope, itīs obviously used as a designated marksman rifle.

Excalibur 03-23-2010 04:29 AM

Seeing the these guys using anything bigger than an AK is scary. Instead of inaccurate rapid fire, troops get precise shots from a good rifle.

Nyles 03-23-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markit (Post 12651)
Pakistan has also been building G3s under license since the 1960s, and it seems far more likely that the Taliban could acquire them in the tribal regions, whether through arms sales or capturing them from security forces.

Actually, he's not Afghan Taliban, he's Tekrik-i-Taliban (TTP, AKA Pakistani Taliban), they're not the same thing. They don't recognise Mullah Omar's authority and they don't operate in Afghanistan. There's some association with the Afghan Taliban, and their overall aims are parallel, but not identical. I suspect that G3 was captured in fighting with the Pakistani army, which the Afghan Taliban do not take part in.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a G3 over here, but it's never been reported. I wouldn't espescially worry though, they can't shoot for shit anyways.

Rockwolf66 03-24-2010 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 12657)
Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a G3 over here, but it's never been reported. I wouldn't espescially worry though, they can't shoot for shit anyways.

Still even the worst shot can get lucky. I have a friend in the 101st who got shot in the upper leg/Buttock from a Taliban fighter who was at least 800+m away. How does he know it was 800+m well the bullet that went through his leg and caught in the back of his pants was a 7.62X39mm Tracer round and his pants were not burning. He was shot in the middle of the night while his unit was moving to support a unit under fire about 300m from his position. IE. Some Taliban shooting at random got lucky.

Nyles 03-24-2010 07:49 AM

Of course, I'm not gonna stand up in the middle of a firefight no matter how inaccurate the shooting is. The point is a Talib with a G3 is no bigger threat than one with an AK-47, nor any other rifle.

Excalibur 03-24-2010 11:36 PM

So when does this Metal of Honor game takes place? Someone here said 2002

Nyles 04-21-2010 03:23 PM

Ok, we found a G3. Haven't examined it in person yet, but it's Iranian or Pakistani.