imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

AdAstra2009 12-21-2017 04:14 AM

Thank you, got it for $600 using the buy now option off gunbroker.

Jcordell 12-21-2017 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 43953)
Thank you, got it for $600 using the buy now option off gunbroker.

That's about right for the price. I bought mine back in 2003 and 2004. I paid $450.00 for both of them (each) thirteen years ago.

AdAstra2009 12-31-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 43950)
And you have an Armscor Model 206 as well. I have to assume you got new grips for it.

Indeed I did, much better looking and handles much better too. I just wish I could do something about the finish.

]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4635/...11ee2d3b_k.jpg

funkychinaman 01-01-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 43972)
Indeed I did, much better looking and handles much better too. I just wish I could do something about the finish.

]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4635/...11ee2d3b_k.jpg

I got Hogue grips for mine. I don't have any RIA branding on mine though, only Armscor.

S&Wshooter 01-27-2018 06:19 PM

https://i.gyazo.com/7704efc656a053c2...82c35e3807.png

$99 H&R 732. Looks rough but it locks up great and the timing is dead on, barrel is good

StanTheMan 02-11-2018 03:39 AM

For a long while I've only ever handled or shot guns, even technically possessed them. But now I have finally taken the plunge of being an 'evil' firearms owner. And so to show what I hope will be the start of many to come.

First, a Smith revolver. Always intended to make one of them my first handgun, and really couldn't ask for more. Was planning on a 686, but this boy was there at a damn nice price and for its age is still sharp and tight. The nickle finish is still quite solid. My idea of a fidget spinner. :p

(Mind the crappy cell phone images.. Hey, its what I got!)

Smith & Wesson Model 13-1
http://www.imfdb.org/images/c/cd/SWModel13-1N.jpg

And I was lucky enough to then spot this about a hundred below the norm, all new in-box. Wasn't cleaned out so had to hit it up too. Just in case I have to go all Alternate 1985 Strickland on some slackers.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/ac/Moss500PStd.jpg

S&Wshooter 02-13-2018 01:02 AM

Those are pretty awesome first guns, super versatile

I got a Concealment Express kydex holster for my PT111 G2, it's awesome so far

StanTheMan 06-25-2018 03:02 AM

Another purchase, my first AR. Honestly wasn't planning on getting one this soon but saw this at the show and aside from a decent price, really just liked the overall look and feel of it, this coming from a guy who mainly likes things as plain Jane as possible.

AM15 VTAC Tungsten.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/b/bb/Stan-AM1503.jpg

AdAstra2009 06-25-2018 11:41 PM

Nice start for some first guns Stan.

Jcordell 06-26-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44027)
https://i.gyazo.com/7704efc656a053c2...82c35e3807.png

$99 H&R 732. Looks rough but it locks up great and the timing is dead on, barrel is good

The old H&R revolvers are neat little wheel guns.

Jcordell 06-26-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 44079)
For a long while I've only ever handled or shot guns, even technically possessed them. But now I have finally taken the plunge of being an 'evil' firearms owner. And so to show what I hope will be the start of many to come.

First, a Smith revolver. Always intended to make one of them my first handgun, and really couldn't ask for more. Was planning on a 686, but this boy was there at a damn nice price and for its age is still sharp and tight. The nickle finish is still quite solid. My idea of a fidget spinner. :p

(Mind the crappy cell phone images.. Hey, its what I got!)

Smith & Wesson Model 13-1
http://www.imfdb.org/images/c/cd/SWModel13-1N.jpg

And I was lucky enough to then spot this about a hundred below the norm, all new in-box. Wasn't cleaned out so had to hit it up too. Just in case I have to go all Alternate 1985 Strickland on some slackers.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/ac/Moss500PStd.jpg

A nickel plated Model 13. Very cool indeed.

StanTheMan 06-26-2018 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 44405)
A nickel plated Model 13. Very cool indeed.

I agree. Hence why I got it. Everybody seems to enjoy it. Not that I'm planning to let go of it, at least not anytime soon - but still get a kick out of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 44403)
Nice start for some first guns Stan.

Thanks, we all gotta start somewhere.

I also agree that H&R is a nice little spinner as well.

S&Wshooter 07-10-2018 02:34 AM

I got a Taurus 605 as an alternate carry gun/gun to leave at my friend's just in case (later on down the line I'm going to put together a bag of stuff like clothes, spare glasses, etc). It shoots well, is way better made than similar Taurus offerings of the past decade, and 100% definitely needs some new grips because it's much too small for me to get a good hold of. I have a holster, speedloaders, and a speedloader carrier on the way

MT2008 11-28-2018 12:19 AM

My 9mm Glock collection is finally complete*: I finally found a Glock 19 Gen 2. It's an LEO trade-in gun, so it has a bit of wear, but I'm happy to have it. It was apparently made during the 1994-2004 AWB, as it came with an LE stamped magazine. I'll post pics later.

* No, I don't yet have the -43, the -45, the -17L, or the myriad variations of the 9mm models (i.e. any of the "C" models). But, at least I now have the four major 9mm model sizes: service (-17), compact (-19), carry (-26), and competition/tactical (-34), so I doubt I'll get any others.

Excalibur 11-28-2018 10:30 PM

I've been thinking about selling my G43

S&Wshooter 01-05-2019 06:14 AM

Traded my Browning SA-22 to my father for my grandfather's Remington Speedmaster. Shot it a little, so far so good

Rockwolf66 01-29-2019 04:46 AM

Not a complete firearm but I did score an 'A2 upper with an 11.5" barrel for my AR15 pistol. Originally it had a 5.5" flash suppressor seemingly pinned and soldered on. In sanding off the finish of the base of the Flash suppressor no pin was found. After cutting and grinding off the flash suppressor(Without fragging up the threads no less) it was discovered that it had been epoxied on. Upper then got a thorough cleaning as inside it was filthy. Once clean it passed a quick 20 round function test with flying brass.

Removing the hand guard indicates that the barrel is a thicker 'A2 style to boot.

MT2008 03-02-2019 06:50 PM

It's official: After putting aside money from every paycheck for the better part of a year, I finally purchased a Geissele Upper Receiver Group Improved (URGI) just today, though I won't actually receive it until almost the end of the month. I'm finally going to start building my M4 Block III clone (yes, I know that it's still an unofficial designation right now, but I think everyone's expectation is that the URGI will become the basis of SOPMOD Block III).

I'm planning to buy a new lower receiver instead of retrofitting the URGI to the lower from my DPMS AR-15 that I bought in 2010, so I'm taking recommendations on new late-2010s lowers if anyone has any. I saw on YouTube that Garand Thumb set up his URGI on a Radian lower, but I've seen mixed reviews in my research so far, so I dunno if I'll buy one of those. I do expect that, like him, I'll choose a B5 stock, though.

Rockwolf66 03-27-2019 03:42 AM

I just ordered a S&W Model 629 Classic.

If I can get a second complete AR15 I am thinking one in 9mm Built by Sasquatch arms of Grants Pass. They are much cheaper than a Noveske and they are dominating the local firearms competitions.

MT2008 05-04-2019 07:01 PM

I had a bit of a supplier problem for the Geissele URGI (as in, ran out of stock after I sent in my order). So, it never came, and I was refunded in full.

It's actually not the worst thing because Brownell's had a sale on the Daniel Defense M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone build, so I wound up buying that instead, in light of my current interest in that particular build. My rifle is currently fitted with an EOTech XPS-3-0, Surefire M600DF, VTAC sling on QD swivels, and tons of Magpul accessories (MBUS sights, RVG, ladder rail covers, etc.) I'll post pics in a bit.

I need recommendations for a new charging handle and bolt extension. I was thinking about buying a BCM Gunfighter for the charging handle. For the bolt release, I thought about a Magpul BAD, but it seems as though the YouTube video reviewers I've watched have stories about them coming loose without LocTite.

commando552 05-05-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44591)
I thought about a Magpul BAD, but it seems as though the YouTube video reviewers I've watched have stories about them coming loose without LocTite.

To me the bigger issue with the Magpul BAD is that nothing belongs in the trigger guard except the trigger. My police force got some MCXs a couple of years ago and the standard kit had them fitted with BADs. They didn't last long, probably because I heard people ND'd in training while using them.

Excalibur 05-05-2019 01:18 AM

My other rifle has a BAD lever, but the only time I use it is for clearing malfunctions. I don't use it to drop the bolt unless I do one hand and even then, you practice safety rules. Put the rifle on safe before reloading. Some people think they can skip that step during reloads

commando552 05-05-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44593)
My other rifle has a BAD lever, but the only time I use it is for clearing malfunctions. I don't use it to drop the bolt unless I do one hand and even then, you practice safety rules. Put the rifle on safe before reloading. Some people think they can skip that step during reloads

If you are getting shot at most people don't though. The way I was taught in the British military is that the safety does on for normal or administrative loading and unloading but for "tactical" in combat reloads it doesn't. Part of this is the ergonomics of the safety of the SA80 being very quick to disengage but relatively slow to engage, but it is still taught the same on AR platforms. The problem is that when you install a BAD lever you are going from reloading with the safety off being a "relatively" safe practice to now being a dangerous one, and to me building in a new risk is not worth the time saving.

Personally, I also just don't like the idea that some administrative action is now being done inside the trigger guard. To me, to only reason a finger should ever be in there is to pull the trigger, if you start putting it in there for other things I worry that it would start to erode that deeply ingrained muscle memory particularly when under stress.

MT2008 05-05-2019 06:12 PM

So, here's my DD M4A1 (photographed, as always, on my yoga mat):

http://www.imfdb.org/images/d/db/MTDDM4A1-1.jpg
http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/71/MTDDM4A1-2.jpg

Note that while I wanted an M4A1 Block II clone, I know that this rifle isn't as "clone correct" as that of some cloners out there. I'm already not clone correct by virtue of the fact that the rifle is a Daniel Defense instead of a Colt. Some other discrepancies between my build and the real deal:

- My rifle has the standard continuous RIS II, rather than the RIS II FSP. Apparently, the RIS II FSP is far more common in the field nowadays (at least in USASOC), which I find very odd - I once burned my hand on the A-frame FSP of my DPMS AR-15 after running about 600 rounds through it, and that was long before I began shooting with the C-clamp grip. Nowadays, I'd be even more nervous about burning my thumb (even with gloves on) on any rifle that has the FSP. So, needless to say, I far prefer the regular RIS II and don't care that it isn't the more common version IRL.
- My EOTech EXPS-3-0 is the black version, rather than the tan version that was adopted by SOCOM as the SU-231/A. I wanted the tan version, but Brownell's had the black version on sale for $100 off, plus a 10% promo code discount, so I got it for just $512 new. I have actually seen at least one pic of a Green Beret using a black XPS on his rifle (which I'm guessing was a personal purchase before the formal adoption of the XPS-3-0 by SOCOM), though, so I guess it's not impossible to find this version in the field, just unlikely.
- I'm running Magpul MBUS sights because I like those much better than the KAC sights - both in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Again, unlikely but not impossible to find in the field.
- I also have a Magpul vertical grip, which I use as more of a handstop. I know that a real SOCOM Block II would have either a tan TangoDown or KAC grip (if any at all). I'm probably going to buy a Magpul hand stop cover set in the future.
- Currently not running a pressure switch on my Surefire M600DF, though I'll get one eventually (though it means I'll probably have to remove or at least cut down the ladder rail cover on top).
- I'm using Magpul QD swivels (attached at the front with a Troy mount), instead of CQD mounts, which are far more common in the field.
- Rifle came with a standard A2 flash hider, which is of course pinned and welded. IRL, the Surefire 4-prong is now far more common (but almost no cloner has one because they're so pricey - I see far more 3-prong versions in the civilian market).
- I use the Viking Tactics sling mostly because I got it on sale - I realize that it's something of a dated design, and the Blue Force Gear slings are more common nowadays, though I'm sure plenty of SOCOM personnel still use VTACs. I also have a single-point sling with multiple detach points that I originally bought for my DPMS AR, and I've used that one, too.

MT2008 05-05-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 44592)
To me the bigger issue with the Magpul BAD is that nothing belongs in the trigger guard except the trigger. My police force got some MCXs a couple of years ago and the standard kit had them fitted with BADs. They didn't last long, probably because I heard people ND'd in training while using them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44593)

I appreciate your thoughts (both of you). I'm thinking I'll skip the BAD lever and get a Wilson Combat bolt release instead.

Excalibur 05-18-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44596)
I appreciate your thoughts (both of you). I'm thinking I'll skip the BAD lever and get a Wilson Combat bolt release instead.

The OEM paddle isn't so small that you'd miss it. I usually do the slap

S&Wshooter 05-22-2019 03:09 AM

Getting a new .22 automatic pistol this week, idk what yet. Only "real" contenders are the S&W 22A/Model 41/Victory, the Ruger 22/45, and the Browning Buckmark. As always, I'm leaning towards a S&W but will see what they got

I also bought new speedloader pouches for my 605, and a Don Hume S&W 645 holster (new, for only like $25) that fits all my S&W autos like it was made for them. Soon I'll get a Bigfoot gunbelt and set up a neat little pistol rig

Jcordell 05-22-2019 09:54 PM

Picked up a Savage Model 1907 pistol (32 auto) and a Smith & Wesson First Model 32 Safety Hammerless (32 S&W) at auction last week. The 1907 was made in 1910 and the Smith & Wesson was made in 1901. Both in pretty good shape. Paid $375 for the two of them. They might be pocket handguns, but they're neat in their own way.

MT2008 05-25-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44608)
The OEM paddle isn't so small that you'd miss it. I usually do the slap

I'm already finding that it doesn't work very well when I'm wearing my gloves. I'd rather have a bigger bolt face of some kind.

Excalibur 05-28-2019 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44628)
I'm already finding that it doesn't work very well when I'm wearing my gloves. I'd rather have a bigger bolt face of some kind.

Maybe if you wear gloves. Have you tried just press the paddle when you reload?

Spartan198 05-29-2019 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 44628)

Aren't there aftermarket bolt release levers you can get that are bigger than standard?

MT2008 05-29-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44630)
Maybe if you wear gloves. Have you tried just press the paddle when you reload?

All the time, when I'm not trying to do speed reloads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44631)
Aren't there aftermarket bolt release levers you can get that are bigger than standard?

Yep, which is why I'm asking for people's experience with specific makes/models for recommendations.

Excalibur 06-01-2019 01:19 AM

Have you thought about running the charging handle during a reload if you can't consistently hit the paddle under stress?

S&Wshooter 06-05-2019 12:10 AM

Ended up getting a S&W M&P9c instead because I found one new with 3 spare mags for like $30 more than I was seeing used police trade-ins. Also it felt wrong not carrying a S&W. I'll get the Victory within the year, I bet, though, because my P22 is driving me up the wall

Excalibur 06-05-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44651)
Ended up getting a S&W M&P9c instead because I found one new with 3 spare mags for like $30 more than I was seeing used police trade-ins. Also it felt wrong not carrying a S&W. I'll get the Victory within the year, I bet, though, because my P22 is driving me up the wall

You could have bought an M&P 2.0 Compact

Spartan198 06-06-2019 02:29 AM

Pfft! S&W 500 w/ 10.5" barrel or bust.

Excalibur 06-07-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 44654)
Pfft! S&W 500 w/ 10.5" barrel or bust.

They make those in that length?

S&Wshooter 06-07-2019 01:03 AM

I got the 1.0 and 3 spare mags (NIB mind you, so all the goodies and whatever too) for about $100 less than just a 2.0 and whatever comes with it. I also like the size of the 1.0 better, and it's the exact same weight as the beater-ass PT111 I carry sometimes so I'll be used to its size and weight (also the mags will fit in my little pouch ezpz). I was about to get a 2.0 for $299 from a liquidator but I asked him a question and he immediately tacked another $140 to his price

Spartan198 06-07-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44655)

Yeah. We have a pic of one on the gun's page.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/4/4f/S%26W500.jpg

Mike Searson 06-12-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 44655)

They make a 14" version, too.
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/sho...th-sw-460-xvr/