imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Favorite Directors (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1411)

Swordfish941 12-17-2010 05:24 PM

Your Favorite Directors
 
I've started this thread to talk about directors we admire.

I'm personally a big fan of Danny Boyle. He's very diverse with his work and gets great performances out of his actors (Trainspotting is probably Ewan McGregor's best performance). Plus he doesn't have the desire to make big budget movies (he says he's good at making films on a smaller budget).

I also like David Fincher. He's taken possibly the stupidest subject to make a movie about (the founding of Facebook) and made something that's getting Oscar buzz. Plus he's launched the careers of Brad Pitt and Kristen Stewart.

AdAstra2009 12-17-2010 06:46 PM

Don't really have a favorite but Christopher Nolan seems to consistently make good films.

funkychinaman 12-17-2010 07:13 PM

Nolan and P.T. Anderson. (Although, sadly, I've yet to see There Will Be Blood. I have it, I just haven't popped it in yet.)

Reach 12-17-2010 07:20 PM

Christopher Nolan, Danny Boyle, David Fincher, Clint Eastwood
loved all of Christopher Nolan's masterpeices
Loved 127 hours, 28 days later, trainspotting
Loved fight club, best movie ever IMHO
and clint eastwood is a badass, loved Gran Torino, Letters from Iwo Jima/Flag of our Fathers

Swordfish941 12-17-2010 08:29 PM

I used to like Michael Bay until I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I then realize the bastard ignores plot, character driven scenes, and character development. He just focuses on explosions and and action sequences with slow motion. Why the hell is he still working? The only good film of his is Bad Boys.

AdAstra2009 12-17-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 23211)
The only good film of his is Bad Boys.


You didn't like The Rock?

MT2008 12-17-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 23211)
I used to like Michael Bay until I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I then realize the bastard ignores plot, character driven scenes, and character development. He just focuses on explosions and and action sequences with slow motion. Why the hell is he still working? The only good film of his is Bad Boys.

It took you until "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" to figure this out? I figured it out by the time I saw "Armageddon", and that was 12 years ago now. Of course, I know you would have been too young to watch Bay movies 12 years ago, but your post implies that you watched plenty of his movies before "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

Swordfish941 12-17-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23213)
It took you until "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" to figure this out? I figured it out by the time I saw "Armageddon", and that was 12 years ago now. Of course, I know you would have been too young to watch Bay movies 12 years ago, but your post implies that you watched plenty of his movies before "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

I have only seen Bad Boys and Bad Boys II (the sequel was decent). When The Island was released, I wanted to see it because I was hyped on Ewan McGregor when I was 10. Me and my Dad saw Transformers when I was 12, and I enjoyed it (my dad said he liked the special effects, but he thought the plot was stupid). My little brother got the second one on DVD, I watched and thought "This was a waste of my goddamn time".

funkychinaman 12-17-2010 09:55 PM

It all went downhill after Pearl Harbor. It was the most disappointing movie I ever saw in a theater, and I saw Rocky V in the theater. Pearl Harbor was so bad, they wrote a song about it.

Swordfish941 12-17-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 23215)
It all went downhill after Pearl Harbor. It was the most disappointing movie I ever saw in a theater, and I saw Rocky V in the theater. Pearl Harbor was so bad, they wrote a song about it.

Bay just bastardized one of the most tragic events in American history and tried to add a Titanic-esque love story to it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.