imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Randomness 3 (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1977)

k9870 09-09-2012 08:06 PM

the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.

The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.

BTW anyone know of any other DI service rifles. Seems no toher countries have made one, and its all pistons. I think pistons rule, on weapons designed around a piston. An ar was not made to be a piston gun so keep it di.

Spartan198 09-09-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 36032)
the lack of a forward assist aint that bad, many trainsers move away from them and even state they have limited to no use. If a rounds not going in rack another in.

That's today, though, and the M16 today is a completely different animal.

Quote:

The m16's original problems were mostly peoples stupidity.

"its self cleaning, no need for cleaning kits."

yeah, right.
This was mistaken info based on the AR-10, which had a good reputation for ruggedness and reliability. It's an understandable error considering the mistaken assumption that the AR-15 was just a "downsized" AR-10. Direct-impingement was also used to good effect in a couple of WWII weapons, IIRC.

The Wierd It 09-09-2012 09:09 PM

It could just be that 5.56 isn't powerful enough to run a DI system properly if it's fouled.

SPEMack618 09-10-2012 12:16 AM

Kokalis? That guy still alive? I sorta stopped putting any stock into him when I read his little spill about the FAL.

That being said, th M-60 is a piece of junk. About the only thing it has over th -240B and G is weight, and even then that's kinda iffy.

In six years of using either an M-16A2, -A4, or M-4A1 I have never used the foward assist.

My only issue with the weapon system is bullet type. FMJ sucks more than Hoover.

MT2008 09-10-2012 05:41 PM

So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.

The Wierd It 09-10-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 36047)
So I finally got my hands on "No Easy Day", and am reading it now. Mark Owen took a picture of his weapons which is included in the book. He used a suppressed HK416 D10RS with Magpul P-Mags and Magpul stock, an MP7 with a suppressor, and a sawed-off M79. All of his weapons were painted desert MARPAT camouflage, same as his fatigues. I had read previously that the DEVGRU operators who killed Bin Laden were mostly using H&K kit, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the weapons.

Strictly speaking it's NWU-II camo, not MARPAT. It's close enough that the Marines complained and got it restricted to NSWC personnel only though.

Spartan198 09-10-2012 07:49 PM

I'm intending to get that book myself. Watched a 60 Minutes interview with him about the raid early this morning. Really insightful and finally good to hear it from the point of view of someone who was actually there.

How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?

commando552 09-10-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 36049)
How was that M79 sawed off? Barrel or stock?

Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.

SPEMack618 09-11-2012 12:24 AM

The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.

Spartan198 09-11-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 36052)
Both, it also had a red dot sight. Here is another picture of his kit also showing the suppressed P226 and HK45C.

That M79 = win. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36058)
The whole thing sorta leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like that guy should have waited before he wrote his book.

Maybe. I think he wanted to get the shooters' story out due to Obama's heavy politicizing of the raid, though. Lady friend of mine has a friend in the SEALs and she's told me that they're none too happy about all the credit Mr. Yes-We-Can is taking for it.