imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

k9870 11-14-2012 04:42 PM

it would be sillier to have a uss jimmy carter. But obama is till a dumb name. They should have just had it be the regain

funkychinaman 11-14-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 36760)
it would be sillier to have a uss jimmy carter. But obama is till a dumb name. They should have just had it be the regain

There IS a USS Jimmy Carter. My only objection is that it's the USS "Jimmy" Carter, not the USS James Carter. I'm always bothered when an adult uses "y" or "ie" at the end of his name.

Every president from FDR to George H.W. Bush except for Nixon has either had, or will have in the near future, a warship named for him. From Truman on, all of those ships are either currently in commission or will be within a few years.

SPEMack618 11-14-2012 05:45 PM

And it makes sense that the USS Jimmy Carter is a Seawolf class submarine, being that before ole' Jimmy went loony liberal on us, he wore the Dolphins.

funkychinaman 11-14-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36762)
And it makes sense that the USS Jimmy Carter is a Seawolf class submarine, being that before ole' Jimmy went loony liberal on us, he wore the Dolphins.

And the only president who ever graduated from the Naval Academy.

SPEMack618 11-15-2012 10:38 PM

And the only one from Georgia. And let me tell you how proud we are of him. But mainly Billy

funkychinaman 11-15-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 36768)
And the only one from Georgia. And let me tell you how proud we are of him.

And the only one to ever claim to see a UFO.

Excalibur 11-15-2012 11:45 PM

I just finished playing Black Ops 2. Why were they using an M16A1 variant in 1989? The A2 was already out by that time. I wished they kept the CAR-15 or some kind of shorty AR-15 variant for the past missions in the 80s. Woulda made more sense for spec ops guys using them.

funkychinaman 11-16-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 36770)
I just finished playing Black Ops 2. Why were they using an M16A1 variant in 1989? The A2 was already out by that time. I wished they kept the CAR-15 or some kind of shorty AR-15 variant for the past missions in the 80s. Woulda made more sense for spec ops guys using them.

A buddy of mine who's a reservist was complaining about switching to A1s from A2 in the LATE NINETIES. (He liked the A2 sights better.)

So how is the game? How does it compare to BO1? Or MW3?

Excalibur 11-16-2012 02:17 AM

The controls feels a lot smoother than BO1. It handles a lot like MW.

You can actually pick your loadout before starting a mission in the singleplayer, which is really cool. I can go into 1986 with an AN94, which is a sweet rifle. There's perks and everything for you to pick from.

The story is rather take it or leave it. It did explain the motive of the villain...he's bat shit insane and wants the world to burn, but it doesn't explain how the FUCK did he gain this much power and technology.

The game has a couple alternate endings depending on choices you make throughout the campaign, including a sort of secret ending which you will miss if you don't look on youtube.

Most of the guns are pretty good, though the full auto rate of fire on all the guns is a bit unrealistic. The full Auto FAL's recoil is too managable on full auto and I was surprise the game has the old fashion FAL and the modern FAL.

A lot of the gadgets are cool if not broken at times, like the MMS optic which pretty much allows you to see through walls and cover when you look down, the Storm sniper rifle which sees through everything and shoots through everything. One hit, instant kill.

The wrist launching grenade is cool.

funkychinaman 11-16-2012 05:39 PM

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...chise-our-time

I did not realize that they're basically doing the Highlander thing where every sequel ignores the previous sequel. I loved the first movie, it was the first DVD I ever bought. I think it's ripe for a remake.