imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 05-24-2016 09:41 PM

I've always thought the video game was the 3rd movie

funkychinaman 05-24-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42613)

I thought so too. Aykroyd should've just left it at that.

StanTheMan 05-25-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42613)

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42615)
I thought so too. Aykroyd should've just left it at that.

Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42610)
"The premise is absurd?" It's a comedy about hunting ghosts with portable nuclear reactors, what's the expectation here?

I'm just not willing to dismiss it based on one trailer (I haven't seen the second one.) I like the writer/director, and I like most of the cast (not a huge fan of Leslie Jones.) I'm just going to keep an open mind.

I believe he was talking about specific aspects to the premise for this one. That said, the thing isn't that it's absurd but that they made it work in the original. Not so sure here, though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't look for any movie to suck, but I also can only go by what I see. And what I see, simply put, doesn't look all that good. Feig indeed isn't some chump which is why I have any hope myself.

I do think Akyroyd does have a hard time letting go - But it can't all rest on him; somebody still had to say 'yes'. In any event I wouldn't have minded something new for GB, despite my default disdain for reboots but again, I'm not not overly optimistic on this. If nothing else then because of the argument that if it's good, it'll be all about the women, while if it's bad, it's because nobody accepted the women. That will loom regardless.

Bah. I'm no huge GB fan so I don't have much a dog in this fight. Again, just calling the shit like I see it. If nothing else though there will be other things that will arise for the franchise, which is good.

StanTheMan 05-25-2016 07:31 PM

On the other hand, the Independence Day sequel looks even better with this latest extended clip. Still think something seems a bit off.. can't put my finger on it. But again, looks like it'll be pretty good.

And on games, I'm not seeing what the big deal is with Overwatch.

Excalibur 05-25-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 42618)
Still think something seems a bit off.. can't put my finger on it..

Yeah, Will Smith is not in the movie

Evil Tim 05-26-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 42618)
On the other hand, the Independence Day sequel looks even better with this latest extended clip.

MAGAZI...oh sorry, reflex action. :D

funkychinaman 05-29-2016 04:10 PM

I finally got around to watching Spectre, and I liked it, but Bond shooting down a helicopter from a speedboat with his PPK might be the most unbelievable scene in the history of the franchise.

StanTheMan 05-30-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42620)
Yeah, Will Smith is not in the movie

Lol, that's not really it. Though Smith not coming back when practically everybody else is does suck though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 42623)
MAGAZI...oh sorry, reflex action. :D

Hey, I'm that way too man, but I used the proper term here. Promise!

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42634)
I finally got around to watching Spectre, and I liked it, but Bond shooting down a helicopter from a speedboat with his PPK might be the most unbelievable scene in the history of the franchise.

I agree but that said that sounds like more reason for me to get around to watching it..

Still wonder who the next will be. I heard Gillian Anderson make a blurb the other day about wanting to go for it as the first female Bond. I'm hardly some PC type but honestly that's hardly the worst suggestion I've heard, she might be quite good - if they go that way about it, that is.

Finally, on the game tip, still don't see the big deal with Overwatch, and No Man's Sky has been delayed, which kinda sucks. Civ VI coming out looks good, at least as far as Civ games go anyway.

S&Wshooter 05-31-2016 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 42636)

Still wonder who the next will be. I heard Gillian Anderson make a blurb the other day about wanting to go for it as the first female Bond. I'm hardly some PC type but honestly that's hardly the worst suggestion I've heard, she might be quite good - if they go that way about it, that is.

Or, you know, they could make a new franchise rather than changing a fundamental part of a character (Bond is outright stated to have been meant to be a white, womanizing, borderline alcoholic) just so that they can make a low-effort movie no one can criticize without people ripping them a new asshole over "misogyny" (hey, just like the new Ghostbusters!)

Excalibur 05-31-2016 07:17 PM

Well yeah, Ian Fleming has reportedly said Sir Christopher Lee's career during WWII was a direct inspiration for James Bond.

I hate how they think if they reverse gender iconic character for the sake of being PC, that it makes a good character. As a parody, sure. Even as something serious...maybe.

But really? Does everyone want a female James Bond to be pretty much Black Widow? She's pretty much a badass assassin spy type who has no personal love interest and most likely have slept around.