imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Article on the Infuriating Pop Culture and the fact that so many people like crap (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1077)

MoviePropMaster2008 06-01-2010 05:33 PM

Article on the Infuriating Pop Culture and the fact that so many people like crap

Read a funny article about Infuriating Pop Culture CRAP. The film commentary is right on. I don't know much about the music quotes, but I share his dislike of reality TV shows.

S&Wshooter 06-01-2010 05:44 PM

This is why I don't watch TV (despite the fact that I work for a TV ratings Co. and it's pretty much my job), listen to newer music or watch new movies.

MT2008 06-01-2010 11:12 PM

There's a lot of stuff I hate about modern pop culture (I agree with MPM about reality shows), but I still get tired of hearing constantly about how each decade is worse than the last. I'm young, but I am old enough to remember how much people bitched about pop culture in the 1990s (when I was a teenager). Nowadays, I often meet teenagers who idolize the 1990s because of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, while forgetting about the Backstreet Boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13925)
This is why I don't watch TV (despite the fact that I work for a TV ratings Co. and it's pretty much my job), listen to newer music or watch new movies.

Dude, we've already established that most of what you like was made in the 1980s. I can't think of any other pop culture decade that's aged as badly as the 80s. You gotta stop listening to what middle-aged "Rocky" fans tell you. If you ask those dumbfucks, Survivor and Kenny Loggins represent the pinnacle of American music (no kidding, either...I've met a bunch of those people).

S&Wshooter 06-02-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 13928)

Dude, we've already established that most of what you like was made in the 1980s. I can't think of any other pop culture decade that's aged as badly as the 80s. You gotta stop listening to what middle-aged "Rocky" fans tell you. If you ask those dumbfucks, Survivor and Kenny Loggins represent the pinnacle of American music (no kidding, either...I've met a bunch of those people).

Kenny Loggins sucks and I don't really care for Rocky. As a matter of fact, I have never even met anyone who likes Rocky that much.

S&Wshooter 06-02-2010 12:19 AM

You know what really gets under my skin? Hipsters.

[curmudgeon] Those damn kids and their music! (shakes fist; continues watching 60 minutes and eating beets) [/curmudgeon]

MT2008 06-02-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13932)
Kenny Loggins sucks and I don't really care for Rocky. As a matter of fact, I have never even met anyone who likes Rocky that much.

"Rocky" is good. I just hate people who act like it's the greatest movie ever. It's good for what it is, no more.

Likewise, I hate when people act as though Survivor is the most profound band ever.

S&Wshooter 06-02-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 13935)

Likewise, I hate when people act as though Survivor is the most profound band ever.

Who? Never heard of them

predator20 06-02-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13937)
Who? Never heard of them

Ever hear "Eye of the Tiger"?

S&Wshooter 06-02-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 13939)
Ever hear "Eye of the Tiger"?

Yep. One of my least favorite songs

predator20 06-02-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13940)
Yep. One of my least favorite songs

Well that's Survivor.