imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Most Viewed Pages (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=88)

Gunmaster45 02-16-2009 06:00 AM

Most Viewed Pages

Am I the only one who thinks the top 5 viewed pages should be limited to movie pages only? While the gun pages are important and worked on just as hard (mainly by MPM and his great pics), this is the Internet Movie Firearms Database, and if people visit for the first time, shouldn't they see our top five movie pages, not the gun pages too? I only mention this because the M1911 pistol series page is slowly creeping up on Heat, and soon a gun page will defeat Heat. While I love 1911s, I think the top page should be a movie, not a gun page. If there is anyway to cancel out the gun pages from the top 5, I think it would be great.

What is everyone else's opinion on this matter?

Excalibur 02-16-2009 09:38 PM

I thnk we should make 2 seperate pages then. Most visited movie pages and most visited gun pages.

Gunmaster45 02-17-2009 02:53 AM

speaking of most viewed, IMFDB has been viewed almost a MILLION times. When it reaches that mark, should we celebrate, maybe just write it on the main page or maybe all the main admins. have a page ready to screencap. That'd be cool.

MT2008 02-17-2009 03:11 AM

Eh, I'm not sure. It would look pretty bad if we had one for movies/TV and one for guns crammed into the main heading. But I wonder why people visit our 1911 page so much. Must be really interested in movies that have 1911s, I guess...

MT2008 02-17-2009 04:53 AM

Wow, the 1911 page is now only 150 views away from being our most popular page. Damn! Good thing I fixed the issue with the spacing. It would have sucked if the page was getting so much attention and not up to par...

Gunmaster45 02-17-2009 06:06 AM

I'm not a fan of Ex's idea, I just think we should have top MOVIE pages, since it is the IMFDB, not the IFDB. Guns come second to the films they are in, IMO.

MT2008 02-17-2009 08:08 PM

Less than 70 views before the 1911 page passes "Heat".

What do we make of this? I'm just amazed that page is of such interest. I wonder if it has anything to do with MPM's latest pictures?

MoviePropMaster2008 02-18-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 695)
Less than 70 views before the 1911 page passes "Heat".

What do we make of this? I'm just amazed that page is of such interest. I wonder if it has anything to do with MPM's latest pictures?

It has happened. A gun page is at the top. There must be TONS of M1911 fans out there. I'm not opposed to a split out. But who knows how to fix the main page? I think a top GUNS page and a top MOVIE page list would be cool. Anyone know how to do that? :)

MT2008 02-18-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 712)
There must be TONS of M1911 fans out there.

Well, yes, most of our readers are Americans, and the 1911 is probably the most popular pistol ever made amongst our gun-owning public.

But still, the rise in viewing is astronomical. As recently as a few weeks ago, I remember it being around 60,000 views, and it was ranked below the "Scarface" and "Matrix" pages. So, we've literally had over 20,000 new views within the past month, or less. I don't know what that corresponds to besides your recent uploading of the 1911 from "Pulp Fiction".

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 712)
I'm not opposed to a split out. But who knows how to fix the main page? I think a top GUNS page and a top MOVIE page list would be cool. Anyone know how to do that? :)

Here is the code on the Main Page for the Top 5 articles list:

Quote:

|<DynamicArticleList>
type=hot
count=5
It looks like what we would need is a sub-set for the "type=hot" command which singles out pages based on either "Category:Movie" or "Category:Television". I'll see if I can find a way to do that.

MT2008 02-18-2009 08:11 PM

Interesting:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TopTenPages

When I come back, I'm gonna try some experiments with the "offset" command to see what I can do.