imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Accessories to your rifles make them capable (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1069)

Excalibur 05-25-2010 02:23 AM

Accessories to your rifles make them capable

I read an article in SWAT magazine about the positives of having the red dot sights, foregrips, a rail system to attach a flashlight, etc and how it should be noted on the effectiveness of such a setup over plain KISS carbines.

What are your thoughts on the matter of setting up your rifle? Be it AR-15, AK, or other brands.

S&Wshooter 05-25-2010 03:06 AM

A scope is all I need. For me, anything else would be pointless

Excalibur 05-25-2010 03:10 AM

How powerful is the scope? What if you have to use it in close quarters? Would you have back up iron sights?

I'm looking at the rifle not just for shooting targets down range.

S&Wshooter 05-25-2010 03:13 AM

I have shitty back up sights and the scope is medium powered. I only use my AR to plink though. If I were going to fight, I'd probably prefer to use a plain jane AR

Excalibur 05-25-2010 02:50 PM

Reading the article made me think that just a KISS rifle during actual combat might not be the best thing anymore. It is harder to sight while moving and aiming at moving targets. A RDS can help with that. Flash light can help with low light, foregrip for better firing stability, etc

MT2008 05-25-2010 03:17 PM

Having some type of rail forearm is nice, at least for attaching a vertical grip.

As for sights: Personally, I still don't trust anything besides iron sights. Maybe if I were not in combat, but if I were infantry, I'd rather just have iron sights over some expensive optical or holographic sight that might get damaged. That being said, it would be nice to have both the carry handle (or at least flip-up iron sights) and a more hi-tech scope just in case.

Are combat troops are in the habit of carrying back-up iron sights even when they have an Aimpoint or Holosight on their weapon?

Excalibur 05-25-2010 03:40 PM

I guess you're right about that, but there's nothing stopping our troops from getting their own back up iron sights and attaching a red dot or ACOG.

S&Wshooter 05-25-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 13801)
Having some type of rail forearm is nice, at least for attaching a vertical grip.

As for sights: Personally, I still don't trust anything besides iron sights. Maybe if I were not in combat, but if I were infantry, I'd rather just have iron sights over some expensive optical or holographic sight that might get damaged. That being said, it would be nice to have both the carry handle (or at least flip-up iron sights) and a more hi-tech scope just in case.

Are combat troops are in the habit of carrying back-up iron sights even when they have an Aimpoint or Holosight on their weapon?

I am, suprisingly, more accurate with an AR that has open carry handle type sights than I am with a scoped AR

Excalibur 05-25-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 13807)
I am, suprisingly, more accurate with an AR that has open carry handle type sights than I am with a scoped AR

At what range?

S&Wshooter 05-25-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13811)
At what range?

100 yards and less