imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Script errors in Firefox. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2463)

Rockwolf66 07-08-2016 09:58 PM

Script errors in Firefox.

Hey all,
I'm surfing via Firefox and whenever I go on IMFDB I get hit by a bunch of "Script errors" where the little popup tells me that a script is unresponsive or has stopped working. It then takes hitting the "Continue/Debug/ Stop" script button repeatedly.

I don't know if it's just my desktop and Laptop or there are bugs using Firefox?
Desktop is currently windows 7( soon to be windows 10)
Laptop is windows 8

Both have at least a terabite of HD space and 4 GB of RAM.

Spartan198 07-09-2016 07:18 AM

I'm not having any such issues.

commando552 07-09-2016 04:12 PM

Do you generally see ads on the site? If so then my guess is that there is one of them that is having some sort of issue for you. To get rid of the adds you can use an add blocker, or more simply just change your appearance preferences for imfdb to anything but the default (e.g. change it from Vector to Monobook).

Rockwolf66 07-09-2016 10:40 PM

Welp it seems that an Adblocker stops the errors. Plus it seems that it's time for me to upgrade all my computers as I'm getting low memory messages when I do graphics heavy stuff.

StanTheMan 07-10-2016 06:37 PM

I get that on rare occasion on the odd page or two, but not here - In the case of our pages I agree it's likely ads causing a conflict.

As for the memory issue, FireFox is quite the memory hog, I know given it's what I've used for the longest and still use. Might wanna hunt around some tech sites and read up some ways to optimize your FF use, via changes and a mod or two - It can help quite a lot let me tell ya. (Though a memory upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.)

Evil Tim 07-19-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 42802)
Hey all,
I'm surfing via Firefox and whenever I go on IMFDB I get hit by a bunch of "Script errors" where the little popup tells me that a script is unresponsive or has stopped working. It then takes hitting the "Continue/Debug/ Stop" script button repeatedly.

I don't know if it's just my desktop and Laptop or there are bugs using Firefox?
Desktop is currently windows 7( soon to be windows 10)
Laptop is windows 8

Both have at least a terabite of HD space and 4 GB of RAM.

This would normally happen due to a slow computer encountering something like a video ad (my ancient laptop does it all the time) but check yourself for viruses just in case they're malicious popups pretending to be system dialogs, we've had problems with those before.

Spartan198 07-24-2016 08:20 AM

Malwarebytes is probably the most comprehensive program I've ever used. If there are any viruses hiding on your machine, chances are this will find and clear them. The premium version is dirt cheap, to boot.

MT2008 07-30-2016 02:26 PM

I've had the same problems recently (I'm an Opera user, not a Firefox user). I have cleaned up a lot of malware on my laptop, but I still get script errors.

I mostly browse IMFDB on my iPad these days, but the fact that it's so slow on my laptop is one of the reasons that I don't edit IMFDB much anymore.