imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Time for a new new revolver (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2485)

Jcordell 12-01-2016 05:15 AM

Time for a new new revolver

The only problem with collecting vintage revolvers is the need to not inflict too much wear and tear on the grand old shooters. Regardless of the quality of the four screw S&W Model 19 or the pre-war (WWII) S&W Heavy Duty revolver I just don't like running a box (or more) of fire breathing loads through them. Yes they are very well made revolvers, but they are also fifty, sixty eighty and ninety year old handguns. A few months ago I realized that I've ended up with a bunch of revolvers that I am very proud of, but that I also treat with kid gloves. Sometimes you just have to have a shooter. I realized that meant I had to buy a modern high-quality revolver. A new new revolver. So today I withdrew some cash from my savings account (also known as my Toy Account) went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse and purchased a brand-new stainless steel Ruger GP-100. Thought about buying a Smith & Wesson, but Ruger makes a strong, reliable, no frills revolver and that's what I've been needing. So $700.00 later I now own a workhorse revolver. Now this I can shoot without feeling guilty because this sucker is designed to be used and used hard. My hothouse revolvers will just have to adjust.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...pslwrs19t2.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9h2xejoh.jpg

funkychinaman 12-01-2016 12:21 PM

I've got the same thing, but blued. I love it. If you're out of ammo, you can throttle someone with the beast. My only complaint is that mine is a very early version, so it's really hard to put Hogue grips on it.

Jcordell 12-01-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 43120)
I've got the same thing, but blued. I love it. If you're out of ammo, you can throttle someone with the beast. My only complaint is that mine is a very early version, so it's really hard to put Hogue grips on it.

Yeah I'm going to put Pachmayrs on it. Doesn't mean anything though. I've always preferred Pachmayr grips. Dad always used Pachmayr products and when I started shooting it was Pachmayr that I started with.

funkychinaman 12-01-2016 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43121)
Yeah I'm going to put Pachmayrs on it. Doesn't mean anything though. I've always preferred Pachmayr grips. Dad always used Pachmayr products and when I started shooting it was Pachmayr that I started with.

I wanted to put on new grips, but I have to stick with the factory one, which aren't bad. I also swapped out the springs so I get a lighter DA trigger pull.

Jcordell 12-02-2016 05:03 PM

It's interesting to look at some of the responses that I've gotten from folks on a couple other forums. Some posters understand exactly where I'm coming from while there are those who seem to take it as a personal insult that I want to go easy on my older revolvers - even the ones from the seventies. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Nyles 12-05-2016 06:46 PM

Totally makes sense to me - there's a reason my Artillery Luger and C/96 stay in the safe but my Hi Power comes every time. I actually don't mind the GP100s, they're not nearly as nice as a Smith buy they're built like a bank vault and that has its own kind of charm. Besides, there's nothing wrong with just wanting something a little different - I occasionally toy with the idea of buying a Glock.

Jcordell 12-05-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43129)
Totally makes sense to me - there's a reason my Artillery Luger and C/96 stay in the safe but my Hi Power comes every time. I actually don't mind the GP100s, they're not nearly as nice as a Smith buy they're built like a bank vault and that has its own kind of charm. Besides, there's nothing wrong with just wanting something a little different - I occasionally toy with the idea of buying a Glock.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a 4" GP100 stainless for several years. Everytime I have the money something neat comes along. This time I finally just went and got the money and drove to Sportsman's. Well that's not totally true. I did stop at a couple of my favorite LSG's, but they didn't have anything for once. So I was destined to buy it. You're right it does have it's own kind of charm with it's vault like physique. You should go crazy and buy a Glock. Truth be told I like my G19. When I retire from my agency it will be gifted to me and I'm okay with that. Don't feel the need for more Glocks, but I like the one I carry.

StanTheMan 12-07-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 43129)

Seconded almost entirely. Only hitch is the part about the Glock, which I'd even also agree with if I could find one that actually felt comfortable in my hands. But 'something different sometimes' point I hear absolutely.
Otherwise spot-on - S&W man though I be I like Rugers a lot also (little more partial to the older Six series, but still), and I'm with ya entirely on your point JCordell. I'd say take the oldies but goodies out for fun once in a while but serious shooting, well, you got it - get a 'daily driver' piece. And you certainly got a good a one. ;)

Yournamehere 12-08-2016 12:41 AM

Damn, the new production GP100 is a very good looking gun. All of the markings are really tastefully done, and I hate just about every marking on every current production gun. Have fun with it.

S&Wshooter 12-10-2016 09:51 AM

What, were they sold out of 686's?

Ruger protip: if the cylinder starts to bind up, screw in the ejector rod, they tend to back out once the gun has a ton of rounds through it

Jcordell 12-10-2016 03:30 PM

Honestly I don't like the "look" of the newer S&W revolvers. I have no doubt that the tolerances of the new models are amazing thanks to CNC and the steel is of the highest quality, but I just prefer the older models. I actually like the look of the Ruger GP100. Especially the 4" model.

S&Wshooter 12-12-2016 06:50 AM

The GP's do look pretty boss. I thought about getting one or an SP101 but then I had a BUNCH of bad experiences with Ruger revolvers, which blew because some of the worst were with one of my most favorite guns, an old .38 only Speed Six

Jcordell 12-13-2016 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43141)
The GP's do look pretty boss. I thought about getting one or an SP101 but then I had a BUNCH of bad experiences with Ruger revolvers, which blew because some of the worst were with one of my most favorite guns, an old .38 only Speed Six

I can see how that would be a deal breaker.

S&Wshooter 12-15-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43143)
I can see how that would be a deal breaker.

There are always more guns, right?

Jcordell 12-16-2016 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43162)
There are always more guns, right?

Very true.

SPEMack618 12-17-2016 02:09 AM

I feel you. I've already decided that my next gun purchase maybe another S&W trade in from Gander Mtn. They have a 5946 that is sort of screaming for me to take it home so it can live with my Model 10, Model 66, and Model 910.

S&Wshooter 01-01-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 43179)
I feel you. I've already decided that my next gun purchase maybe another S&W trade in from Gander Mtn. They have a 5946 that is sort of screaming for me to take it home so it can live with my Model 10, Model 66, and Model 910.

You can practice shooting and get a good forearm workout at the same time!

StanTheMan 01-11-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43139)

Honestly I don't like the "look" of the newer S&W revolvers. I have no doubt that the tolerances of the new models are amazing thanks to CNC and the steel is of the highest quality, but I just prefer the older models. I actually like the look of the Ruger GP100. Especially the 4" model.

Bah, been a bit here, but nail on the head. Although the 'look' is part of the reason I prefer the older Rugers to the GP100 (just a tad). In any case, I really don't like the full-lug look. My old man even less. Nevermind the rather tricked out style some pieces they got goin' these days.

I loved when they put the 520/620 out, got the classic Smith aesthetic while still having the 7 shot. Of course they're both gone now but bringing back the 66 is nice too. In the end though it's like you said, different strokes and so on.

Mike Searson 01-13-2017 09:41 PM

Just got this from UPS:
3" GP-100, 5-shot 44 Special with an unfluted cylinder
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/u...psubfrm91d.jpg

StanTheMan 01-15-2017 09:42 PM

Now that's a nice spinner, son! For some reason I'm particularly intrigued by 3" barrels.. not sure why, but just about all of them look real good. Likin' the chambering, too - Forgot they got those in .44 Sp.

All-told, real nice one!

AdAstra2009 01-15-2017 11:10 PM

nice, hows .44 special compared to other rounds?

SPEMack618 01-16-2017 02:25 AM

I love the .44 Spl. I think it and the .41 Magnum are what all revolvers should be chambered in. Well them and .38-44 High Velocity.

Ruger makes a good six gun.

Neat piece!

S&Wshooter 01-16-2017 09:13 AM

I think a .44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog would be a neat gun to like tape to the back of my toilet tank or stick to a magnet behind somewhere; cheap enough you won't care that it's stashed, .44 is pretty potent, and I don't think it'd be as HORRIFYINGLY LOUD (by a little) as a .357 indoors

Mike Searson 01-24-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 43261)
Now that's a nice spinner, son! For some reason I'm particularly intrigued by 3" barrels.. not sure why, but just about all of them look real good. Likin' the chambering, too - Forgot they got those in .44 Sp.

All-told, real nice one!

They were just released earlier this month.
I love the 3" bbl, too, on a DA gun, they seem to balance just right.

Mike Searson 01-24-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 43263)
nice, hows .44 special compared to other rounds?

I went without shooting it for the longest time.
Bought my first 44 Magnum in the mid 90s (Redhawk) and eventually Smiths, Desert Eagle, Thompson Center, etc.

I overlooked the Special for years as the price difference was only a few dollars less than the Magnums. until 3 or 4 years ago when I bought a S&W Model 24 and it took Specials.

I compare it to a 45 ACP or a 45 Colt at a sub-magnum level. Took me twenty years to try it, but when I did, I finally got it.

I'm supposed to have the 8-shot Ruger Redhawk in 357 Magnum soonish.

StanTheMan 01-29-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Searson (Post 43349)
They were just released earlier this month.
I love the 3" bbl, too, on a DA gun, they seem to balance just right.

I had heard they were bringing that caliber, but I thought it had been out for a wee bit already. Guess I was wrong, either way though! But it just looks great. I remember the S&W Model 696 they had for a minute a few years back, and thought it looked good, even with the full underlug.

I agree 3" does have a good balance and feel on most revolvers, though I think 4" works pretty well too overall.

Agree about the Bulldog, would be a good piece to put up somewhere, like that.

I like the special both itself but also as a Smith man - In all honesty I'd probably shoot it more in the wheelguns. Though I'd probably also have some Magnums, though those would be more for shoulder pieces - Lever-action carbines and such.

Jcordell 07-01-2017 10:34 AM

Replaced the factory installed front sight with a high-viz front sight that I ordered directly from Ruger. Replaced the Houge grips with Altamont grips. The grip panels are made of "bonded ivory" which I ordered as well. Altamont is one of a few companies that makes the original rubber grips that Ruger used to put on the GP100. The older style grips fit my hands better and I just like the look of them.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0sw8qh5t.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...psd0idat0l.jpg

funkychinaman 07-01-2017 11:48 AM

That's ironic, I was trying to replace my original wood and rubber grips on my GP100 with a Hogue grip, but I can't since I have an early model. I got lighter springs on mine to lighten the DA trigger pull. I'll have to look into the high viz front sight.

Jcordell 07-01-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 43658)
That's ironic, I was trying to replace my original wood and rubber grips on my GP100 with a Hogue grip, but I can't since I have an early model. I got lighter springs on mine to lighten the DA trigger pull. I'll have to look into the high viz front sight.

My eyes are getting older along with the rest of me and I find that the red front site is just easier to see plus I'm more of a traditionalist.

Jcordell 10-09-2017 09:20 PM

Well I was worried that my sole Ruger GP100 was getting lonely so when I found this 3" GP100 I had to take it home for company. Incidentally I don't have large hands and the smaller grips that used to be standard on the 3" movel fits the full-size model as well. Fits my smallish hands very nicely. Reminds me of the Pachmayr Compac grip.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...psrv8hclod.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...psjzkgpq7y.jpg