imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 09-10-2020 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 45071)
You gotta know somebody out there in Hollywood is throwing a fit because both black actors got smaller percentages than any of the white ones. :rolleyes:

I'm mostly rolling my eyes when the recent Dune trailer revealed a character has been both gender swapped and race swapped

Spartan198 09-10-2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 45073)
I'm mostly rolling my eyes when the recent Dune trailer revealed a character has been both gender swapped and race swapped

Funny how no one bats an eyelash at a black actor cast as a white character (e.g., Deadshot), but when the opposite occurs there's endless outrage over "whitewashing." :rolleyes:

Anyway, in much more bizarre news, we have a RoboCop TV show in the works that will focus on ... Dick Jones? :confused:

https://moviehole.net/exclusive-mgm-...ng-dick-jones/

funkychinaman 09-10-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 45074)
Funny how no one bats an eyelash at a black actor cast as a white character (e.g., Deadshot), but when the opposite occurs there's endless outrage over "whitewashing." :rolleyes:

No one bats an eyelash? People freaked out over a black stormtrooper.

funkychinaman 09-10-2020 03:00 PM

And no one cared about Deadshot because A)he's Deadshot, who cares, and B) it was Will Smith, who is one of the few black actors who fits into any role. And Deadshot went back to being white in the DC animated movies because he's Deadshot, who cares.

Spartan198 09-11-2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 45075)

Finn isn't an established character like Bond, though. And I'm pretty sure they freaked because First Order stormtroopers weren't clones like the Empire's were.

Excalibur 09-12-2020 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 45075)

And no one cared when all the Clone troopers were the same Samoan, which means Boba Fett is also that same Samoan

Spartan198 09-12-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 45078)
And no one cared when all the Clone troopers were the same Samoan, which means Boba Fett is also that same Samoan

Erm, yeah, so Boba Fett isn't race-swapped. Which is the opposite of what I'm talking about.

funkychinaman 09-13-2020 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 45079)
Erm, yeah, so Boba Fett isn't race-swapped. Which is the opposite of what I'm talking about.

Well, he was played by a white guy in the original trilogy. It wasn't until the prequels that he's established as the clone of a Maori guy.

Spartan198 09-14-2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 45080)
Well, he was played by a white guy in the original trilogy. It wasn't until the prequels that he's established as the clone of a Maori guy.

Boba Fett as a character in the original trilogy was basically raceless and just a costume since we never saw the face of the actor in it. He could have been a Rodian like Greedo beneath it, for all we knew.

I just don't see why race-swapping a white character is okay, but doing the same to a black character is some grievous offense or "cultural appropriation." It's a double standard.

Excalibur 09-15-2020 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 45081)
Boba Fett as a character in the original trilogy was basically raceless and just a costume since we never saw the face of the actor in it. He could have been a Rodian like Greedo beneath it, for all we knew.

I just don't see why race-swapping a white character is okay, but doing the same to a black character is some grievous offense or "cultural appropriation." It's a double standard.

If you have to actually ASK, that means you have some sense but of course you'd be attacked for it as a racist bigot and I, an Asian would be called "domesticated" for "standing up for the white man"