imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zombie Survival - Choice of Firearm (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=248)

Gunmaster45 05-25-2009 09:03 PM

I have a gunshop and lots of ammo. I'm set. :D

Krel 05-25-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 3042)
I have a gunshop and lots of ammo. I'm set. :D

Just be sure you have plenty of food and water on hand. It wouldn't do you much good if you were trapped in your shop, and die of starvation before you could fight your way out to get some provisions. :o

David.

Gunmaster45 05-25-2009 10:34 PM

If I needed provisions, I'd hop in one of my dad's pickup trucks, put some guys in the bed with high capacity weapons or shotguns, and drive to the closest grocery store. The closest one is only a mile away, and we could fill the bed up and drive back or something, I don't know. I don't think I'm too prepared for a zombie invasion, but it doesn't matter anyway.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-26-2009 12:26 AM

I'm thinking about using a kneeling bus as a portable wall. If you drop it on it's tires there's only an inch or two left between the chassis and the ground.
One of the two segment bus dealies could be parked across a road, and people could fire out of the windows high on the side, which open so you can look down or straight out(not up).

Panwich Krauser 05-26-2009 11:57 AM

double barrel 12 gauge. never jam, most common ammo for a shotgun, cheap and easy to use. i'd have a .22 pistol on my side with as many bullets that'll fit in the mag if the my boomstick fails (yeah right) or i can't reload in time. that's for the real zombies, as in fast as molasses.

if they're sprinting everywhere which seems to be the new cool thing in undead flicks, i'd have a striker street sweeper and a glock 18c. not for the full auto but the fact it's 9mm and had a 30 round mag.

k9870 05-26-2009 04:33 PM

A glock 17 can take the 33 rounder too. And pistol calibers aren't that common now a days, as you see. Id carry a .45 since i could get some off local police. Id love a .357 mag, one to the chest should be all it takes. Havent seen 38/357 around though....:( May get that dan wesson CBOB at Cabelas.

For a main gun, Id get any rifle i could get my hands on. .308 is a great combat round but id be fighting so many people id need smaller ammo unfortunately. The mini 14 is the way to go, rugged and quick pointinbg for me (much more so than ar-15s)

Excalibur 05-26-2009 05:14 PM

What do you mean pistol calibers aren't that common now a days? And a lot of police forces uses 9mm handguns, some uses .40 so it's really some chance if you find .45 ACP just because it's a police station.

And remember, these are zombies, they don't feel pain and even if you blow a hold through them, unless you get a bullet that knocks them on their asses, it's just going to be harder on you to shoot.

k9870 05-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

What do you mean pistol calibers aren't that common now a days
Well, look at the shelves. Me and my friend have been dying to take his kimber out but theres no .45, anywhere. The only pistol cal anyone has in stock in any big is 5.7x28mm. Theres shortages everywhere. Just ask anyone with a .380.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-26-2009 10:55 PM

I have heard that the Armsel Striker is pretty much the counterpart to peanut butter.
(Jam)

That might not be the best tactic.

Gunmaster45 05-27-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 3110)
I have heard that the Armsel Striker is pretty much the counterpart to peanut butter.
(Jam)

Clever. :D

I'd want this custom SPAS-15 I saw on a shooting competition once, the guy built a 25 round drum custom for it. Or any other gun like the AA-12 (but not on full auto, it's a waste).

k9870 05-27-2009 05:03 PM

Hey gunmaster, you going to make a IMFDB page for your movie? Maybe even one now, just pictures of the guns you paln to use.

Gunmaster45 05-27-2009 08:42 PM

Well, IMFDB only allows REAL movies to be made for pages, but I'll devote a section of my profile for it.

I'll try to take some pictures of the guns I'll use, but we are still in the planning phase. I just got my Mossberg 500 Cruiser fixed so its ready for action.

k9870 05-27-2009 08:46 PM

You have a list? I know the cruiser, you said some type of 10 ga. Im guessing your ruger ranch rifle ( i remember you mentionin you have a blank adaptor for that) and of course gladys needs to come out to play.

Im sure you could make your own legit page.....would be kind of cool.

Gunmaster45 05-27-2009 09:31 PM

Here's the guns I thought up so far:

(for shooting at friends houses, where real guns are a NO NO)

A UHC Beretta 92FS spring action pistol. Looks real enough for the scene. I use it to shoot a religous zealot in the medula oblongata when he holds one of my guys hostage, since we want some people to people gunfights.

A UHC H&K USP pistol with a locking slide. Looks realistic enough.

A H&K Mark 23 SOCOM spring pistol, looks kind of fake but some perminant marker can fix that.

A G36 spring rifle, looks realistic, needs some sharpy touching up.

A metal Marui knock off AK-47 with the stock broken off (so now it is an AKS-47 I guess...)

An all metal tutone SIG P226 pistol. Looks very real as long as the slide isn't pulled back and the tiny barrel is revealed.

And my gun during the majority of scenes at others houses is a Denix replica Single Action Army revolver one of my friends owns.

Now for the REAL guns:

Of course I grab Gladys as soon as we reach my place in the story, and I'll show a cool loading up scene as we grab my guns (I'll use dummy rounds for those scenes). Since Gladys can't fire blanks, I'll either fake fire with CGI flashes or fire real rounds at a safe target and edit the scenes with quick cuts so it looks like I'm shooting at zombies/zealots.

I have the Mossberg 500 Cruiser, which once MPM sends me the directions, I'll make blanks for.

I have a single shot 10 Gauge with a very long barrel. It looks like a mean gun and would make Burt Gummer proud.

I'm giving one of the guys a Sentinel Deluxe .22 revolver, since .22 blanks are pretty easy to aquire.

I'll give someone a .38 special Smith & Wesson K-14 Masterpiece (which is a very nice Model 14) and either buy blanks or use CGI.

If it isn't sold immediately, I suppose I could put the Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel in.

I plan to use my Remington M1903A3 rifle and don't need blanks since I can cycled dummy rounds and spent shells and add in the flash later.

Also, if my dad has the reloading dyes, I'll add in a 20 Gauge Bolt action Stevens shotgun.

I'll add pictures when I start towards the end of June (June 29th, my birthday party, so I figured it'd be a good time to start)

k9870 05-27-2009 09:34 PM

No ranch rifle and Ar?

Gunmaster45 05-27-2009 09:36 PM

Whoops, I forgot.

I'll be using the Ruger Mini-14 in the movie without a doubt, or will let someone else use it, since it works with blanks if I rack the action.

Same with the AR, unfortunately the muzzle break isn't an A1 Birdcage, so the huge supply of BFAs I have for those are useless. :(

k9870 05-27-2009 09:52 PM

where do you get adaptors? And rack the action? Does that mean after each shot? You'd need some serious editing. To get Gladys to eat blanks couldnt you just but in an adaptor or is more work needed?

Gunmaster45 05-28-2009 12:04 AM

Yeah, I'll just hide it when he fires single shots with the Ruger.

I'd have to permanantly destroy Gladys in order to get the gun to fire blanks reliably. I'd need to thread inside the barrel so I could put an adapter in and then I'd have to mill the top of the barrel down (you can see this on MPM's prop 1911s and in movies if you look in the ejection port) and this would ruin it. And I have no .45 ACP blanks anyway.

As for were to get adapters, hell if I know. I just found an ammo can in my grandparent's basement with lots of .223 blanks and AR-15 adapters that you can only fix to A1 Birdcage muzzle breaks.

k9870 05-28-2009 01:53 AM

Just wondering, what do you use for mags in gladys? Do the modern 8 rounders work well in the old guns?

Yournamehere 05-28-2009 02:06 AM

Fair enough, but wouldn't it be odd to have both an impossible-to-find German Assault Rifle like a G36 with old rusty firearms like the 10 Gauge and your 1911? You're going to the farthest corners of reality here.

k9870 05-28-2009 02:19 AM

A G36 could easily be "liberated" from a patrol car or something. Theres even one PD down south that issues p90s as patrol rifles.

Then the older guns are more common amongst us civilians, and have infinitely more character than the tacticool stuff.

Yournamehere 05-28-2009 02:25 AM

Oh I've seen cops pack weird stuff, but I have never seen a G36 in person, or for that matter a lot of those old beaters. You sort of have to go for a theme with a setting, rural or modern. Does everyone have a SIG Rs or do they all carry wheel guns, you get the idea.

Gunmaster45 05-28-2009 03:23 AM

We pick up all the airsoft guns at someone elses house in the story who owns a Class III liscense and has it as some type of tour bringback. Most people who watch the movie won't know the difference anyway. I don't have any other airsoft rifles handy so I'll have to make do.

The older guns are mine, like said, they are old and have sentiment.

As for mags, I usually keep an older seven rounder in it, but for the sake of the movie I'll use 8, or at least fake 8. Both magazine types fit the old guns well, the 8 rounder was an ingenious design that is exactly the same size as a 7 but fits one more in.

sillybunz13 09-27-2010 04:15 AM

My Choices of Firearms for Zombie Survival

Primary:
A DSA SA58 FAL PARA Elite Compact Rifle, .308 Cal. hollow points with an EOtech sight, ITC cheek rest, Extreme Duty scope mount, a SureFire M900, a SAW pistol grip, a three point sling, and 6 extra 30 round magazines.

Secondary:
A Sig Sauer P220 Elite Dark TB, .45 ACP hydrashoks with an STL-100C tactical light, 6 extra 10 round magazines, and an IWB holster.

I would have a Molle Tactical Vest to fit all the magazine pouches and other accessories.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-27-2010 04:24 AM

Did you go out of your way to find an old thread to bring back?

predator20 09-27-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 19821)
Did you go out of your way to find an old thread to bring back?

I don't think anybody cares if he did but you.

Markost 09-27-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunz13 (Post 19820)
and 6 extra 30 round magazines.

Thatīs heavy. I mean, our guys in the army complains all the time about carrying 5x20 round magazines, carrying 6x30 would be a pain in the ass.

Mandolin1 09-27-2010 01:34 PM

I'll go for some M4gery with 20+ 30 round magazines

k9870 09-27-2010 01:45 PM

against zombies you dont need 40 pounds of armor, so might as well load up on mags. but a .308 with a 11-13 inch barrel? nope. something more practical is in order.

Markost 09-27-2010 02:26 PM

Donīt forget the kevlar globes and clothes.

k9870 09-27-2010 02:44 PM

zombies you just shoot COM and drop like any other human, i mean, that headshots only crap is stupider than the idea of zombies themselves. "only the brain is working nahnahnahnahnah.....then how is the body walking? only zombies that are people infected by a virus, like rage in 28 days, make any sense....

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-27-2010 06:36 PM

Here's my zombie survival strategy. Take a few levels in Cleric, choose Pelor to worship so I can have access to the Healing domain for extra cure spells, spend the extra gp on a high quality silver holy symbol, take Improved Turning and Extra Turning as my feats.

You fools, headshots won't do shit to zombies. Undead are immune to critical hits. Using slashing weapons like swords and axes, they overcome the zombie's damage reduction.

AdAstra2009 09-27-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markost (Post 19830)
Thatīs heavy. I mean, our guys in the army complains all the time about carrying 5x20 round magazines, carrying 6x30 would be a pain in the ass.

Standard combat load for a U.S. Army Rifleman is 210 rounds or 7 30 round magazines, so thats actually normal.

Despite what the "zombie survival guide" says I'd still obtain a select fire weapon.

Fully automatic is useful for things other than suppressive fire according to a U.S. Army Manual from the 1980s

* Adjusting fire with tracers
* Close range reflexive firing
* Multiple targets in close proximity (to e/o)
* Some method that involved guiding your weapon as if you were using a "garden hose"

Not to mention that you likely will come up against human adversaries in a post apocalyptic world anyways

k9870 09-27-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Standard combat load for a U.S. Army Rifleman is 210 rounds or 7 30 round magazines, so thats actually normal.
Of course every army soldier i know who was in a combat unit carried way more, i know one who loaded his vest up, then bdu pockets, the sleeve pockets on the blouse, a stock pouch, anywhere you could shove a mag, saying that it doesnt matter if it weighs a lot when your patrolling around in a humvee. But you want as much ammo as possible when in combat.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-27-2010 07:27 PM

How is everybody gonna gear up when the unicorn apocalypse happens? I think I'll bring a super soaker full of lingonberry juice. Unicorns hate lingonberries. Oh and also a spindle of teal silk ribbon to tie around their horns when they're sleeping, it suppresses their powers.

funkychinaman 09-27-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 19843)
Of course every army soldier i know who was in a combat unit carried way more, i know one who loaded his vest up, then bdu pockets, the sleeve pockets on the blouse, a stock pouch, anywhere you could shove a mag, saying that it doesnt matter if it weighs a lot when your patrolling around in a humvee. But you want as much ammo as possible when in combat.

I worked with a guy who was stationed in Germany during the 80's who told me the same thing. Carry as much ammo as you possibly can.

AdAstra2009 09-27-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 19845)
I worked with a guy who was stationed in Germany during the 80's who told me the same thing. Carry as much ammo as you possibly can.

I was told to carry the bare minimum, extra ammo won't help you if your fatigued and tired.

Excalibur 09-27-2010 07:54 PM

I'd go with whatever the hell I can find.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-27-2010 07:59 PM

I'm pretty sure "zombie apocalypse" is just code for "race war".

funkychinaman 09-27-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 19846)
I was told to carry the bare minimum, extra ammo won't help you if your fatigued and tired.

I think he said he was mechanized infantry with the 2nd AD, back when it still existed. So I guess you'd carry more if you were getting a ride.