imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Excalibur 04-29-2016 02:29 PM

Really wished they got Thomas Jane to come back for this role. I liked him as the Punisher more than any of the other ones including the current guy.

SavageGerbil 04-30-2016 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42499)
Really wished they got Thomas Jane to come back for this role. I liked him as the Punisher more than any of the other ones including the current guy.

Since I'm brand new, I don't know the rules on posting links on the forum, but you should look up "Dirty Laundry Bootleg Universe" on Youtube. Adi Shankar made an independent sequel/story kinda thing from that Punisher world with Thomas Jane.

I'm with you, he was awesome in the role, and it was a nice little treat to see him playing the character again....even if it was for a 10 minute short film.

funkychinaman 05-01-2016 02:48 AM

I honestly never thought that "action star" would be in John Krasinski's career trajectory.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/john-kra...se-1201746919/

funkychinaman 05-02-2016 06:45 PM

So is Infinity Ward abandoning the Ghosts storyline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

Excalibur 05-02-2016 06:51 PM

And apparently remastering COD4. Time to dust off the old COD4 page

Mandolin 05-02-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42516)
I honestly never thought that "action star" would be in John Krasinski's career trajectory.

http://deadline.com/2016/04/john-kra...se-1201746919/

Oh great, yet another Jack Ryan adaptaion no one asked for. And its another stupid "contemporary re-imagining", because why not double down on the stupid.

Either do Jack Ryan right or stop doing him. Do they really thing that fifth try is the charm?

Excalibur 05-02-2016 09:13 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-3056785

Judging from these 2 screen caps, it looks like we can expect the exact same guns and look, but just with an updated texture look...which going back I've never liked the 2 other red dots for the M4. The EOtech, I understand as now a standard in electronic optic, but that flat almost NCstar looking red dot and that...I don't even know what it is. It isn't an Aimpoint.

funkychinaman 05-06-2016 09:21 PM

Meanwhile, Battlefield decides to go in the other direction...

http://kotaku.com/the-next-battlefie...-al-1775120917

Excalibur 05-07-2016 05:51 AM

So anybody watching season 7 of Archer? I'm having a fun time

Evil Tim 05-07-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42521)
So is Infinity Ward abandoning the Ghosts storyline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

Given it was heavily criticised for being utterly stupid even by the standards of the series, I wouldn't blame them.

Also seems to be some kind of internet campaign to dislike the trailer given it's been getting an average of about 120,000 dislikes a day, though it still has more likes than any CoD trailer to date apparently. Though I still think Capcom getting their own comments on the DmC trailer flagged as spam is vastly more pathetic :D

Also I'm not exactly enthused by the trailer showing off the radical new remastered CoD4 with a closeup of War Pig's drive sprocket rotating faster than its treads.

funkychinaman 05-08-2016 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 42544)
Given it was heavily criticised for being utterly stupid even by the standards of the series, I wouldn't blame them.

I can't recall an ending to any other CoD game that set up a sequel as much as the ending of Ghosts did. Hated or not, it's weird that they would just walk away like that.

Evil Tim 05-08-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42545)
I can't recall an ending to any other CoD game that set up a sequel as much as the ending of Ghosts did. Hated or not, it's weird that they would just walk away like that.

Eh, I kind of like that the ending of The Dread Doughy Man vs Strikeforce Dad just has you stuck in a hole in the ground. I mean it's not like it's any better than leaving the dog on an exploding aircraft carrier.

funkychinaman 05-09-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 42546)
Eh, I kind of like that the ending of The Dread Doughy Man vs Strikeforce Dad just has you stuck in a hole in the ground. I mean it's not like it's any better than leaving the dog on an exploding aircraft carrier.

I think it's clear that Activision is beyond traditional hate, they're all about numbers, and Ghosts had the numbers. I thought maybe it sold poorly for an Infinity Ward game, but according to the link, it sold more than MW2.

Looking at the numbers, is Advanced Warfare going to be a standalone as well?

Evil Tim 05-09-2016 05:15 PM

I wouldn't doubt that AW is since it does at least have a self-contained story. I'm betting Activision is probably busy bullying Treyarch into working on a WW1 game because of all the good feedback Battlefield 1 is getting right now, and probably trying to get Sledgehammer to make whatever they're doing right now less futurey.

That said, Ghosts is probably the most heavily-mocked CoD game (with AW following for the whole "press F to pay respects" thing) and I can't imagine IW never heard any of the writeups on how the SP campaign's characters were boring and the scenario didn't make any sense (an action involving "our last carrier" and multiple space shuttle launches?). Plus I'm not convinced even they knew where they were going with it.

Excalibur 05-09-2016 06:58 PM

I really didn't have a problem with the press F for respects. We are playing a game where we immerse ourselves in a Marine who lost a brother in arms and I think we should pay respects as part of the game.

I actually liked the premise of Ghosts but the game later devolved into forget about this epic war between a beaten US vs a more powerful country and giving us a single villain to chase after. why can't be just fight the losing war against the Federation in ruined American cities were we are not the top dogs of the world.

Swordfish941 05-09-2016 08:27 PM

I've pretty much given up on the Call of Duty franchise since aren't doing anything new or different with the games.

Anyway, I've been playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt a lot as of lately (I got the game for Christmas), and I've got to say that it's now has to be my favorite fantasy RPG game, and ranks up as one of my favorite games of all time. Hell, I've now recently gotten into the books that inspired the games.

Excalibur 05-09-2016 08:35 PM

I am excited for Uncharted 4 coming out tomorrow.

Evil Tim 05-10-2016 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42552)
I really didn't have a problem with the press F for respects. We are playing a game where we immerse ourselves in a Marine who lost a brother in arms and I think we should pay respects as part of the game.

Yeah, I just thought it was kind of insulting to have the prompt explain what you're doing by pressing it rather than have you infer that someone laying a hand on a coffin isn't trying to marry a vampire or whatever.

Also, want to know what happens when you have three neural network AIs trying to make Magic the Gathering cards? Well, um, this:

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater

Excalibur 05-10-2016 03:16 PM

So it wouldn't be insulting if they didn't add a description to what you are supposed to do and just put a prompt of whatever the action button is?

Evil Tim 05-10-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42558)
So it wouldn't be insulting if they didn't add a description to what you are supposed to do and just put a prompt of whatever the action button is?

Yeah, I never like it when someone tells you to do something like get in a car and a prompt appears that says "get in" like you've forgotten what happened one second ago.

Excalibur 05-12-2016 03:40 PM

So finally a trailer....I hope this doesn't suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJVoF5ko1Y

S&Wshooter 05-12-2016 10:51 PM

Being part of the Assassin's Creed meme series, I think that's a given

Swordfish941 05-13-2016 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42564)
So finally a trailer....I hope this doesn't suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJVoF5ko1Y

It looks more to the games than the Resident Evil movies.

Excalibur 05-13-2016 02:23 PM

Well when the best video game adaptation so far is Prince of Persia (ironically the game that inspired Assassin's Creed), you can only go up from there.

Spartan198 05-14-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42567)
Well when the best video game adaptation so far is Prince of Persia (ironically the game that inspired Assassin's Creed), you can only go up from there.

Prince of Persia wasn't bad, though. It wasn't going to garner any Golden Globes, but it wasn't bad. I think people are just too critical of video game movie adaptions as a whole.

Excalibur 05-16-2016 04:49 PM

You can thank the Mario Bros movie back in the 90s. It pretty much destroyed any credibility for video game adaptations since. It was so bad, Nintendo never tried another attempt

funkychinaman 05-17-2016 12:14 PM

I watched this trailer just to be sure that it was actually Damon Wayans Senior playing Murtaugh, because this guy doesn't appear to age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZdEmvcFdU

Excalibur 05-17-2016 03:13 PM

Yeah...I was upset when I saw this. They hired one of the Wayans brothers to play Danny Glover....that's gotta be a sin. It's like hiring a fat unfunny black chick to play Ernie Hudson in Ghostbuster...oh wait.

funkychinaman 05-17-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42580)
Yeah...I was upset when I saw this. They hired one of the Wayans brothers to play Danny Glover....that's gotta be a sin. It's like hiring a fat unfunny black chick to play Ernie Hudson in Ghostbuster...oh wait.

I'm not necessary upset by this, Damon Wayans Sr just doesn't look like he's too old for this shit.

Excalibur 05-18-2016 02:21 PM

That too, but also he doesn't give off the charm of Danny Glover.

Evil Tim 05-18-2016 04:09 PM

Well, the new Doom game is awesome except the bosses, which have a nasty case of Featureless Circular Arena Syndrome.

Excalibur 05-18-2016 04:45 PM

I'm playing Homefront the Revolution

funkychinaman 05-19-2016 01:59 PM

If it's true he turned down almost $100 million for TWO movies, then I guess he really doesn't want to do it.

Connery got fed up and walked away too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...two-films.html

Excalibur 05-19-2016 02:12 PM

I think 4 movies is a pretty good run for a Bond actor. I think this current generation of Bond movies needs to stop and needs to go back to the roots.

The Man From Uncle is sorta like the classic Bond spy movie we need.

StanTheMan 05-24-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42592)
I think 4 movies is a pretty good run for a Bond actor. I think this current generation of Bond movies needs to stop and needs to go back to the roots.

The Man From Uncle is sorta like the classic Bond spy movie we need.

Seconded. Craig was good but it'll be nice to have some new blood in there.

BTW, new Doom does look pretty kickass. Also seems to play pretty good, too - I was a bit skeptical there at first. Really wish I had means to play current stuff. Getting there.

New GB trailer.. was better than the first one but that really isn't saying much. Still looks like shit. Really hope it isn't but still not holding my breath there.

Excalibur 05-24-2016 06:43 PM

First impressions is everything. SJWs are throwing bad reviews out. I criticize the actresses because they look like they suck as actresses...this is not going to be a good movie. If those were the best lines they could throw as jokes for 2 trailers...I'm done

Apparently the Bond creator didn't want the next Bond to be Idris Elba..he would have been awesome!

funkychinaman 05-24-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42607)
First impressions is everything. SJWs are throwing bad reviews out. I criticize the actresses because they look like they suck as actresses...this is not going to be a good movie. If those were the best lines they could throw as jokes for 2 trailers...I'm done

Apparently the Bond creator didn't want the next Bond to be Idris Elba..he would have been awesome!

Do you mean John Gardner? Because Ian Fleming died before Idris Elba was born.

I'm willing to give the new Ghostbusters a chance. I liked Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy's previous collaborations like The Heat and Spy. I don't get the knee-jerk "eww, girls" opposition to the film.

StanTheMan 05-24-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42608)
I don't get the knee-jerk "eww, girls" opposition to the film.

"I don't like gender being used as a gimmick. This is perfect: they've created a movie beyond reproach. If anyone criticizes it, they're instantly sexist. Nevermind that the jokes fell flat, the Ecto-1 looks even more dated than the original, the premise is absurd and they rely on slap gags--nevermind all of that. If the movie fails--it's not their fault for making a bad movie, it's the fault of the patriarchy for being sexist. There's no universe in which this movie could be criticized without the specter of "sexism" looming in the minds of people who defend it. It's the perfect alibi for failure."

Granted, 'eww girls' might the root of some opposition of the film, but there's plenty of other legitimate shit to criticize as the above quote points out, especially after seeing two trailers (this statement was made back at the first trailer, mind you).

Ultimately, it just looks bad. As I said, I HOPE I'm wrong and it is better than what I'm seeing. Of course I said/desired the same about the RoboCop remake which was also produced by Sony. Bah.

funkychinaman 05-24-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan (Post 42609)
"I don't like gender being used as a gimmick. This is perfect: they've created a movie beyond reproach. If anyone criticizes it, they're instantly sexist. Nevermind that the jokes fell flat, the Ecto-1 looks even more dated than the original, the premise is absurd and they rely on slap gags--nevermind all of that. If the movie fails--it's not their fault for making a bad movie, it's the fault of the patriarchy for being sexist. There's no universe in which this movie could be criticized without the specter of "sexism" looming in the minds of people who defend it. It's the perfect alibi for failure."

Granted, that might the root of some opposition of the film, but there's plenty of other shit to criticize as the above quote points out (this was back at the first trailer, mind you), especially after seeing two trailers. Excalibur said it, it just looks bad. And that's about all I'll say in that regard.

As I said, I HOPE it is better than what I'm seeing. Of course I said/desired the same about the RoboCop remake which was also produced by Sony. Bah.

"The premise is absurd?" It's a comedy about hunting ghosts with portable nuclear reactors, what's the expectation here?

I'm just not willing to dismiss it based on one trailer (I haven't seen the second one.) I like the writer/director, and I like most of the cast (not a huge fan of Leslie Jones.) I'm just going to keep an open mind.

funkychinaman 05-24-2016 07:19 PM

And if does suck, I'm putting the blame on Dan Ackroyd. He kept pushing and pushing for a sequel to a film most people were disappointed in, and he just wouldn't let it go. Then again, he made a sequel to The Blues Brothers almost two decades after half the act died, so he seems to have a hard time moving on.