imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suppressors (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=279)

Excalibur 05-29-2009 04:41 AM

Suppressors

I don't remember if we have a thread about the general knowledge of suppressors and the difference between real ones and what we hear in the movies.

I just wonder about that laser blasting sound we hear with the generic suppressors in films. When I first heard suppressors in real life, I was stunned when they didn't sound like they did in movies.

Alcatrazz 05-29-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 3235)
I just wonder about that laser blasting sound we hear with the generic suppressors in films. .

Like the "Thwip" from pistols, and the "PRZZ PRZZ PRZZ" from SMG?

jdun 05-29-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 3235)
I don't remember if we have a thread about the general knowledge of suppressors and the difference between real ones and what we hear in the movies.

I just wonder about that laser blasting sound we hear with the generic suppressors in films. When I first heard suppressors in real life, I was stunned when they didn't sound like they did in movies.

Suppressor is one of those items that the general public think what they are hearing/seeing in the movie is real.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

Gunmaster45 05-30-2009 01:07 AM

Well in movies you always hear that "Pew" noise, which is wierd because when a suppressor is added, all you hear is the action cycle and the air leaving the muzzle. It's like an echo sound, not particularly quiet in an open field... If the gun doesn't cycle at all, all you hear is the air leaving the muzzle, which is pretty quiet as long as you don't use supersonic ammunition.

I learned recently suppressors reduce recoil greatly, and make shooting a .308 like shooting a .22 (according to the show I was watching). It was pretty cool.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-30-2009 05:42 AM

My initial knowledge of silencers was from Goldeneye(the game).
I remember fondly the way all silenced weapons sounded like the "pew" sound.
It's such a wet sound, isn't it? Just sounds squishy or something.

Excalibur 05-30-2009 10:14 AM

I remember the cliche pew sound, but when I hear how a real suppressor sounds like, that is music to my ears than how movies portray "silencers"

Alcatrazz 05-30-2009 02:34 PM

Even better than the laser sound from silencers is the laser sound from ricochet. For an example, see every action movie from 1965-1992.

MT2008 05-30-2009 07:03 PM

Yeah, suppressed guns don't sound like they do in movies. I'm not sure who came up with that retarded sound that's been used in so many movies.

In the other topic, 4570guy explained that suppressors in movies are all fake cans. Which is part of the reason that most suppressed guns in movies tend to have huge muzzle flash (which they wouldn't have in real life if the cans on them were real).