imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

commando552 06-10-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42705)
Harley is not really much of a stand alone character. I remembered in the cartoon, they added her with 2 other female villains, Poison Ivy and Live Wire and that was a fun episode

There was a good run called "Gotham City Sirens" or something like that which focused on Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Catwoman, and they have stuck with these 3 being friends (with benefits in the case of HQ and PI) up until today in the New 52. I can see them doing something like this in a film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42707)
I don't think she even had her own book until this year.

She had a solo run for a few years in the early 2000s, but until the New 52 she was mostly used as part of a team or ensemble. She is massively popular these days though, and currently there are 3 different Harley Quinn comics running along with her appearing in the Suicide Squad comic. During a Rebirth panel somewhere Jim Lee (i think) said that Harley Quinn was now the "forth pillar" of the DC comics universe after the Trinity, so wouldn't be surprised if they really try and push a solo movie.

If you go to conventions, Harley Quinn is possibly the most common costume that you will see people wearing (or possibly second to Deadpool, but the Harley Quinn cosplayers are a whole lot less annoying).

funkychinaman 06-10-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 42708)
There was a good run called "Gotham City Sirens" or something like that which focused on Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and Catwoman, and they have stuck with these 3 being friends (with benefits in the case of HQ and PI) up until today in the New 52. I can see them doing something like this in a film.

She had a solo run for a few years in the early 2000s, but until the New 52 she was mostly used as part of a team or ensemble. She is massively popular these days though, and currently there are 3 different Harley Quinn comics running along with her appearing in the Suicide Squad comic. During a Rebirth panel somewhere Jim Lee (i think) said that Harley Quinn was now the "forth pillar" of the DC comics universe after the Trinity, so wouldn't be surprised if they really try and push a solo movie.

If you go to conventions, Harley Quinn is possibly the most common costume that you will see people wearing (or possibly second to Deadpool, but the Harley Quinn cosplayers are a whole lot less annoying).

Pretty good for a character created for Batman: The Animated Series.

Excalibur 06-20-2016 02:54 PM

So I saw the Warcraft movie....it wasn't bad, but it holds no hands and you will be confused as to who, what and where. It's trying to throw so much plot and characters all at once and rushing into the next movie

Spartan198 06-20-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42709)
Pretty good for a character created for Batman: The Animated Series.

And has yet to master the finer points of hand to hand combat.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a4dafeca1...3pljo1_500.gif

Excalibur 06-21-2016 06:39 PM

Assault on Arkham was a good movie

Excalibur 06-29-2016 07:22 PM

Behind the scenes from the next fast and furious movie https://www.yahoo.com/movies/first-l...212430467.html

Excalibur 08-08-2016 03:39 PM

Saw Suicide Squad....the gun play was pretty good but the story was all over the place, disjointed and they kept dropping music in every scene change like they were trying to be Guardians of the Galaxy but sucking at the editing

commando552 08-08-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42848)
Saw Suicide Squad....the gun play was pretty good but the story was all over the place, disjointed and they kept dropping music in every scene change like they were trying to be Guardians of the Galaxy but sucking at the editing

A friend of mine actually went to a test screening before they did the re-shoots, and apparently it was SIGNIFICANTLY different, with the original version being much better in her opinion. Despite what David Ayer says it is clear that there were two different cuts of this film that just got smooshed together in the edit, and it really shows. At least he is towing the party line though rather than doing a Josh Trank.

SPOILERS AHEAD: The biggest change from the original test screening cut that she could remember is with the Joker and Harley, where in the original version the Joker was kind of abusive to Harley (for example there were more flashbacks showing how he knocked her around) , and in that cut of the film she ends up actually leaving him in favour of the Squad. Apparently rather than that really odd moment where the Joker pushes her out of the Chinook to save her, in the original cut she wants to help the other squad members so the Joker pushes her out. This actually makes all the stuff from this point on with her make a lot more sense in hindsight.

This story change is also why a few of the scenes in the trailer that disappeared, such as the Joker with the half burned face was him surviving the helicopter crash and coming to get Harley at the subway station but the Squad protect her so he throws a flashbang and escapes. I would have preferred this version, and the story going this way would have made a lot more sense for that Harley Quinn spin-off that Margot Robbie wanted to do.

As for the random wierdly edited music, I imagine that this was due to the fact that it ended up having an edit done by the company that made the trailers, rather than somebody who actually knows how to do a feature film.

Did anyone who has seen it happen to notice if the shot from the trailer where Deadshot is slding along the floor firing his Glock 18s and wrist guns at the same time is in the final cut? This is in the subway station when they are fighting Incubus/Enchantress, but the only time I remember him using his Glock 18s in that scene is when he does a mag dump of one then the other rather than firing them both at the same time.

Excalibur 08-08-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 42849)

Did anyone who has seen it happen to notice if the shot from the trailer where Deadshot is slding along the floor firing his Glock 18s and wrist guns at the same time is in the final cut? This is in the subway station when they are fighting Incubus/Enchantress, but the only time I remember him using his Glock 18s in that scene is when he does a mag dump of one then the other rather than firing them both at the same time.

Nope. In fact, A LOT of scenes from the trailer was cut. I don't even know how Boomerang got that can of beer during the first fight. And they took out the scene in the bar where everyone asked for drinks.

Excalibur 08-11-2016 03:55 PM

Just saw Kong: Skull Island trailer and wondered how many times they can remake a movie...then I saw the first photo of BTS for the new Mummy movie with Tom Cruise and judging from the military clothing someone was wearing, it looks like this movie will take place in a more modern time.

Spartan198 08-12-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42857)
Just saw Kong: Skull Island trailer and wondered how many times they can remake a movie...

I think Skull Island only uses the basic framework of the original rather than being a true remake. Kind of like Clash of the Titans 2010.

Excalibur 08-12-2016 01:54 PM

I used to find it weird that I paid less attention to Kong in a lot of these movies and focused on the humans and what kind guns they are shooting. It started for me, with the Peter Jackson King Kong when I saw all those Tommy Guns being passed around.

funkychinaman 08-16-2016 04:38 PM

Tainted by the presence of Michael Bay, however.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/16/entert...ski/index.html

funkychinaman 09-06-2016 02:16 AM

Daniel Craig is good, but $75 million a picture good?

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-new...es-bond-films/

Excalibur 09-06-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42944)
Daniel Craig is good, but $75 million a picture good?

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-new...es-bond-films/

So, no Tom Hiddleston then?

funkychinaman 09-06-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42946)
So, no Tom Hiddleston then?

As far as I can tell, they just made the offer. He may turn them down. He'd be an idiot to do so, but it can happen.

Mandolin 09-08-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 42872)
Tainted by the presence of Michael Bay, however.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/16/entert...ski/index.html

Can Hollywood please stop trying to make Jack Ryan a thing? They clearly can't do him right, why not do a Without Remorse movie?

Excalibur 09-08-2016 06:19 PM

If it's an web series, it means there's gonna be a lot of talking, walking, standing around in places and no action at all

funkychinaman 09-08-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42963)
If it's an web series, it means there's gonna be a lot of talking, walking, standing around in places and no action at all

It's not a webseries, it's an Amazon series. If they're willing to spend some money, and if they've got John Krasinski and Michael Bay, they are, then it'll be closer to Bosch and Man in the High Castle and less like that awful Zombieland pilot.

Excalibur 09-08-2016 06:50 PM

I don't know. The Man in the High Castle was kinda lacking in a lot of places, mostly on being creative in how they want to perceive this alternate world.

Spartan198 09-13-2016 11:25 PM

Not exactly new per se, as most of my "new" games are these days, but I got the Mad Max game that came out last year. If you like Mad Max and/or post-apocalyptic fiction and GTA like I do, you'll love this because it's just that---a post-apocalyptic GTA centered around our favorite road warrior, just with more focus on hand-to-hand combat instead of gunplay because of the limited supply of ammunition.

The voice actor for Max does a pretty good impression of Tom Hardy (though I'm not sure if it's intentional or not) and you can customize Max with various jackets and heads with varying hair/beard length and goggles or no goggles, but the character model looks a little too much like Resident Evil's Chris Redfield IMO.

The V8 Interceptor which I assume we all love gets wrecked in the opening cutscene and you don't get it back until the end of the game, but the car you do drive the majority of the time can be customized with different bodies including one resembling the Falcon XB GT Coupe that the Interceptor was based on (though I'm partial to the Mustang Fastback myself, not quite sure why ;)) and the rest of the customization is pretty deep as well. Engines, wheels, superchargers, suspension, etc..

The game world is every bit of what you'd expect in Max's world: desolate, littered with the skeletal remains of civilization, full of roving bands of marauders, and so on. It's actually quite beautiful, in a dystopian kind of way.

Excalibur 09-16-2016 03:08 PM

I really don't like how Capcom is essentially capitalizing on the whole first person horror games with the new Resident Evil. It can be called any other game but so far, I don't see any ties to the previous games and it begin a first person type of game with obvious PT elements to try to creep you out...not impressed. I played the demo, it was like Silent Hill

Swordfish941 09-16-2016 09:56 PM

And speaking of Silent Hill, I've recently saw the trailers for Silents Hills, and I have to say that it was a fucking crime that this game was canceled. It looked really damn spooky and would of been interesting to play.

Hopefully Death Stranding will make up for this.

Spartan198 09-18-2016 04:41 AM

Yeah, I had high hopes that Silent Hills would revive the horror genre, too. Resident Evil is no longer horror, despite what Capcom and its loyalists say. I had one guy claim after RE5 that "there's horror in the sense that you have to survive it." To this day, I still have no clue what that even means. :confused:

Excalibur 09-19-2016 06:52 PM

RE5 was the last OK Resident Evil game. It was more like RE 4.5 with updated graphics and just as bad as an inventory system. RE6 broke the camel's back

I've just recently started playing the Resident Evil Remastered HD game. Widescreen and in 1080p and it's pretty awesome. Reminded me why I loved the series so much.

S&Wshooter 09-22-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42983)
RE5 was the last OK Resident Evil game. It was more like RE 4.5 with updated graphics and just as bad as an inventory system. RE6 broke the camel's back

It stops being scary when you get the infinite ammo S&W revolvers and can just gently molest even the bosses with no issue

Excalibur 09-22-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 42984)
It stops being scary when you get the infinite ammo S&W revolvers and can just gently molest even the bosses with no issue

Well, that's during the second playthrough. When you first start playing RE4, it is pretty brutal.

S&Wshooter 09-26-2016 06:23 PM

I got Day of Infamy, and man is it hard. Seems like only full sized rifles do anything, too, since quite a few times I've popped people in the face with 12 gauge, 9mm, and 8mm Kurz to no effect, blood spray and all

Excalibur 09-29-2016 02:59 PM

Anyone want to do Siege of Jadotville when it comes out on Netflix next month?

SPEMack618 09-29-2016 03:04 PM

Ahem, according to Michael Gross' facebook there will be a tremors six

Excalibur 09-29-2016 03:45 PM

I was really disappointed at the season 2 finale of Narcos...

S&Wshooter 10-03-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 43005)
Anyone want to do Siege of Jadotville when it comes out on Netflix next month?

Yeah, going to be rooting for the Katanganese and their mercs. I read Mad Mike Hoare's book about all that fighting in the Congo, and the UN was useless, and the communist insurgents were inhuman monsters

Excalibur 10-07-2016 02:42 PM

So...waiting for the actual trailer for John Wick 2...Gonna be awesome

Excalibur 10-12-2016 02:26 PM

So I just saw Jadotville. Not a bad movie

S&Wshooter 10-18-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 42989)
I got Day of Infamy, and man is it hard. Seems like only full sized rifles do anything, too, since quite a few times I've popped people in the face with 12 gauge, 9mm, and 8mm Kurz to no effect, blood spray and all

REFUND, that game sucks dick. Reckon I'll put the credit towards something when a sale rolls around

funkychinaman 11-07-2016 11:59 PM

YESSSSSSSSS<takes breath>SSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

https://deadline.com/2016/11/young-j...-3-1201850391/

Swordfish941 11-14-2016 01:39 AM

The first trailer for the Ghost in the Shell movie has dropped. It honestly looks better than I was expecting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the complaints about the Major getting whitewashed is fucking stupid? Especially when you consider the fact that the Major has no ethnic identity.

Excalibur 11-14-2016 03:27 PM

I am cautiously optimistic about this movie. I am judging it on adaptation and as a movie by itself. As a fan, I have to compare it to the source material and how well it adapts it. So far, I've seen at least 3 different version of this story. The first movie, Stand Alone Complex and Arise. Each one has a slightly different kind of character for the Major with the recent one being the most human.

Since it looks like they are adapting parts of the first movie with elements of SAC's story I think. I heard the behind the scenes, they are using plot elements from 2nd GiG story arc with Kuze.

My first nitpick already with the first trailer is that they had The Major go Hollywood and have her chamber her pistol before jumping...I need to rewatch the scene again in the anime movie to see what she does but I remember in the first episode of SAC, she took her handgun out and flicked the safety off.

commando552 11-14-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 43096)
Also, am I the only one who thinks that the complaints about the Major getting whitewashed is fucking stupid? Especially when you consider the fact that the Major has no ethnic identity.

Well, her brain is Japanese, but that is it. They are sticking to that part I assume, as her mother is played by Kaori Momoi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 43097)
My first nitpick already with the first trailer is that they had The Major go Hollywood and have her chamber her pistol before jumping...I need to rewatch the scene again in the anime movie to see what she does but I remember in the first episode of SAC, she took her handgun out and flicked the safety off.

In the original she either chambers a round or is doing a brass check, not really sure. looks more like a brass check as the round inside doesn't move around, but the slide moves back much farther than necessary. When checking I originally put in my 2.0 disk by mistake, forgot how shitty that redone CGI opening scene was.

Its nice to see a lot of real guns as well, especially Batou's shotgun being the first live action appearance of a Crye Six12.

Excalibur 11-14-2016 07:41 PM

Yeah, I checked. She was brass checking her gun, which I think would have been a better dramatic effect thing to do, but I am not sure if the gun she's using in the movie trailer was a real gun.

Does anybody want to start screen capping?