imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 03-18-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38377)
Which one do you think can do an American accent, Kevin McKidd or Gerard Butler? If you think Kevin McKidd, watch Jorneyman and you'll change your mind.

I have not, but I didn't think it was fair to give Gerard Butler a free pass.

Excalibur 03-18-2013 03:24 PM

So while I'm waiting for Gears of War Judgement come out, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs

funkychinaman 03-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38379)
So while I'm waiting for Gears of War Judgement come out, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs

My buddy and I play coop online together, so we're big fans of both GoW and Army of Two, so we're really torn about both franchises releasing new games so close to each other. I think we're just going to go with whichever game gets its price slashed first.

Spartan198 03-19-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38376)
You think Kevin McKidd is too Scottish? Gerard Butler is the reason why a whole generation of kids think that ancient Greeks all spoke with thick Scottish brogues. To me, he's one of the few Brits who can't pull off an American accent. (Sean Connery and Jason Statham being another two.)

McKidd's accent is a lot thicker than Butler's, though. 300 is the only exception I can think of; he sounds relatively... uh... normal in most of his other films.

Not to imply there's anything abnormal about being Scottish.

funkychinaman 03-19-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38383)
McKidd's accent is a lot thicker than Butler's, though. 300 is the only exception I can think of; he sounds relatively... uh... normal in most of his other films.

Not to imply there's anything abnormal about being Scottish.

I've never heard McKidd try an American accent. I know he was in Journeyman, and I think he was in Grey's Anatomy, but I didn't watch either. He pulled off an English accent when he wanted to in Rome though.

I'm still recovering from watching Butler in Machine Gun Preacher.

Spartan198 03-20-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38386)
I'm still recovering from watching Butler in Machine Gun Preacher.

I take it you would encourage me to avoid it?

funkychinaman 03-20-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38391)
I take it you would encourage me to avoid it?

It's not a bad movie, and he otherwise does a good job, but his wandering accent is a bit distracting.

funkychinaman 03-22-2013 01:19 AM

While we're on the topic of Brits who can't play Americans, I just found out today that Sean Bean's real name is... Shaun Bean? (If you're going to go for a stage name, go all in, like Vin Diesel.)

funkychinaman 03-22-2013 07:36 PM

This is $15 I'll be spending.

Excalibur 03-22-2013 09:18 PM

Just saw Olympus has Fallen. Very emotionally charged. They were one step away from saying it was North Koreans and just said they were Korean terrorists...lame.

Another movie where we say the President is more important than an entire country.

So a C-130 enters US airspace and doesn't constantly get bombarded with questions on what its doing there 30 minutes out from the White House?

The terrorists pulled out a super anti air weapon out of their asses, which the plot tells us belongs to...the US and it was taken down by one RPG from Butler

They made a system where at the touch of a button, someone under the White House can self destruct ALL our nukes while they are still in their silos even though they clearly stated it was designed to stop nukes in flight.

Man, Gerald Butler is really trying to be an asshole character throwing insults and banter. It's like Die Hard all over again.

EDIT: Whatever they were firing from those MP5s either were supposed to be armored piercing or the movie forgot the Secret Service guys in plain clothes do wear body armor which should at least defeat 9mm rounds even at close range.

Chitoryu12 03-25-2013 10:39 PM

Watching some of the early walkthroughs for BioShock Infinite. It's a lot different from the previous games, but in a good way. Protagonist is something other than a silent marauder doing whatever he's told over the radio, and Columbia is fully functional (despite the civil war) instead of being a total warzone from the first seconds. It's nice to have a world where you don't just murder everything and everyone that you see before they try to kill you.

Spartan198 03-25-2013 11:10 PM

Does anyone here know if the new weapons included in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier's DLC packs usable in single-player?

Excalibur 03-26-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 (Post 38425)
Watching some of the early walkthroughs for BioShock Infinite. It's a lot different from the previous games, but in a good way. Protagonist is something other than a silent marauder doing whatever he's told over the radio, and Columbia is fully functional (despite the civil war) instead of being a total warzone from the first seconds. It's nice to have a world where you don't just murder everything and everyone that you see before they try to kill you.

I think Infinite was worth the wait unlike other series that took several years. Your character having a voice is a plus. Though I wonder should any of the guns be considered anachronistic because of the steam punk setting

Excalibur 03-28-2013 03:04 AM

Metal Gear Solid 5...enough said


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSZy12EOSs

funkychinaman 04-01-2013 07:22 PM

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/04/the...-bathing-suit/

I'm glad that Roger Moore is still working.

Chitoryu12 04-01-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38429)
I think Infinite was worth the wait unlike other series that took several years. Your character having a voice is a plus. Though I wonder should any of the guns be considered anachronistic because of the steam punk setting

I think it's just instinctual on IMFDB now to comment on every anachronistic gun.

Mr.Ice 04-01-2013 10:56 PM

Just got Far Cry 3 and its pretty good. It honestly reminds me of Dead Island but without the zombies and melee weapons.

Excalibur 04-02-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Ice (Post 38466)
Just got Far Cry 3 and its pretty good. It honestly reminds me of Dead Island but without the zombies and melee weapons.

It's better than Dead Island

funkychinaman 04-02-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Ice (Post 38466)
Just got Far Cry 3 and its pretty good. It honestly reminds me of Dead Island but without the zombies and melee weapons.

So it's nothing like Dead Island?

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 03:26 AM

And the top debut in Bruce Willis' career is... G.I. Joe 2.

That's just ...unbelievable. It's astounding.

Excalibur 04-03-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38498)
And the top debut in Bruce Willis' career is... G.I. Joe 2.

That's just ...unbelievable. It's astounding.

So the movie is...bad?

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38500)
So the movie is...bad?

It's more that I just can't believe that with all of the good movies he's made in all these years, the biggest one is where he plays third lead behind The Rock and Channing Tatum.

Evil Tim 04-03-2013 04:06 PM

Can't say I'm that impressed by Bioshock Infinite, it plays like a knock-off of the original made by people who didn't really understand why it worked. When the second Vigor is the amazing power to throw grenades you get the distinct impression they're running out of ideas.

Excalibur 04-03-2013 04:17 PM

Ok, I'll admit the Vigor and Salt powers is the developers ripping off themselves from their previous games. I used returned to sender and possession over any other power. I didn't like the fact that you can only have 2 weapons at a time when in previous games you can have all of them.

I do like the character you play can talk and has a personality and history, be it very confusing and kinda contrived at the end. Elizabeth is a wonderful character. She's very animated and once you get her at your side, it doesn't become one big escort mission. You don't need to protect her from being shot or captured and she actually helps you, throwing you money, health and ammo, opens doors for you. She has a very charming personality.

The world of Columbia is very impressive and bright compared to the dark, dank and deary underwater world of Rapture, which I got really bored of after a couple hours because you go down the same dark, dank, wet corridor over and over again. Very little variants in enemy types and you don't get to see what the world of Rapture was like before the chaos. In Infinite, you slowly see the city unravel into the chaos. Everything about Columbia is very alive and interesting.

The racism bids are...meh. If you are over sensitive, you'll hate it cause you've never lived in the time and bringing up racism means you are automatically racist in the eyes of some people. I still run into people for calling Resident Evil 5 racist for taking place in Africa. People need to chill out.

S&Wshooter 04-03-2013 05:32 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to "borrow" my brother's copy while he is at school Friday

commando552 04-03-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38500)
So the movie is...bad?

I quite liked it. It was ridiculous but fun. I think it suffered quite badly from editing it down to under 2 hours though (probably due to that extra Channing Tatum stuff), making some of the exposition very rushed and possibly hard to follow if you weren't familiar with the source material. There were parts I remembered from the trailers and promo images that weren't in the film. In the credits they even had little clips and freeze-frames from the film, some of which were from scenes which weren't in it at all. Oh, and RZA was absolutely awful as The Blind Master.

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38507)
I quite liked it. It was ridiculous but fun. I think it suffered quite badly from editing it down to under 2 hours though (probably due to that extra Channing Tatum stuff), making some of the exposition very rushed and possibly hard to follow if you weren't familiar with the source material.

One of the reviews I read said that was a positive thing though, that it was a G.I. Joe film for G.I. Joe fans.

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 06:36 PM

I DL the Unjustice: Gods Among Us demo and played as Batman (of course.) Graphically, it's a very beautiful game, although I wasn't a fan of Batman's costume. It's a mix of the movie Batman and Arkham City Batman costumes, using the cowl/helmet from the films with the suit from Arkham City, and it looked a bit off. The demo only featured three playable characters, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor, and a boss, Doomsday. The fact that Batman beat Doomsday is absolutely ridiculous.

Batman's always been a bit out of place next to the rest of the Justice League, because he has no powers. I know it's a pipedream, but I'd like to see a DC fighting game with just people from the Batman books, who all have similar powers and abilities. Nightwing wouldn't stand a chance against Superman, but Nightwing versus Red Hood, Robin, Red Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, etc, would be interesting.

commando552 04-03-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38508)
One of the reviews I read said that was a positive thing though, that it was a G.I. Joe film for G.I. Joe fans.

Due to the cutting though some of the exposition is really clumsy and rushed. In particular there is a bit were Snake Eyes is sparring with Jinx and the Blind Master is giving this info dump about how Jinx is the cousin of Storm Shadow who Snake Eyes doesn't trust because he killed the Hard Master but they must work together to save the G.I. Joes and restore honour to the Arashikage (with no explanation of what the Arashikage are). It really doesn't help that the whole thing is delivered by an awful actor with an American accent doing an Asian accent that is so bad its almost racist. It would have also been nice If Cobra Commander had a bigger part as he isn't really the main villain it is more Zartan, but as they are now confirmed for a sequel I imagine he will be more front and centre in that. It had HISS tanks though, so I don't care about any of this.

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38510)
Due to the cutting though some of the exposition is really clumsy and rushed. In particular there is a bit were Snake Eyes is sparring with Jinx and the Blind Master is giving this info dump about how Jinx is the cousin of Storm Shadow who Snake Eyes doesn't trust because he killed the Hard Master but they must work together to save the G.I. Joes and restore honour to the Arashikage (with no explanation of what the Arashikage are). It really doesn't help that the whole thing is delivered by an awful actor with an American accent doing an Asian accent that is so bad its almost racist. It would have also been nice If Cobra Commander had a bigger part as he isn't really the main villain it is more Zartan, but as they are now confirmed for a sequel I imagine he will be more front and centre in that. It had HISS tanks though, so I don't care about any of this.

In the comics, Blind Master IS black, but I don't know where the Asian accent would come into play.

Evil Tim 04-03-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38510)
a bit were Snake Eyes is sparring with Jinx and the Blind Master is giving this info dump about how Jinx is the cousin of Storm Shadow who Snake Eyes doesn't trust because he killed the Hard Master

Wait, which Metal Gear game are we talking about here now?

commando552 04-03-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38512)
In the comics, Blind Master IS black, but I don't know where the Asian accent would come into play.

Both Jinx and the Blind Master are American, yet they both have these weird hard to pin down accents in the film. I can forgive Jinx what with Elodie Yung being French/Cambodian, but to me it just seemed like RZA felt he needed to Asian it up a bit because he was talking about ninja stuff.

Spartan198 04-03-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38513)
Wait, which Metal Gear game are we talking about here now?

Metal Gear JOE: Rock Bottom

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38515)
Both Jinx and the Blind Master are American, yet they both have these weird hard to pin down accents in the film. I can forgive Jinx what with Elodie Yung being French/Cambodian, but to me it just seemed like RZA felt he needed to Asian it up a bit because he was talking about ninja stuff.

My first inclination would've been to cast Jim Kelly (from Enter the Dragon and Black Belt Jones) as Blind Master. I think a kung-fu movie connoisseur like the RZA would understand.

Excalibur 04-03-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38508)
One of the reviews I read said that was a positive thing though, that it was a G.I. Joe film for G.I. Joe fans.

Fans of the old GI Joe shows are probably too old to appreciate this film

funkychinaman 04-03-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38518)
Fans of the old GI Joe shows are probably too old to appreciate this film

Almost all of the ninja backstory comes from the comics, which has been running on and off since the early eighties. I don't recall Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes ever squaring off in the Sunbow series, and they never go into their backstories.

SPEMack618 04-03-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38518)
Fans of the old GI Joe shows are probably too old to appreciate this film

Don't say that....I loved the cartoons and the comics. :(

S&Wshooter 04-03-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38521)
Don't say that....I loved the cartoons and the comics. :(

Well now you can't go see the movie. If you wouldn't have said anything, everything would have been fine

SPEMack618 04-03-2013 10:54 PM

In one of the cartoons, a very dark one that I could have sworn was a Sunbow, Snake Eyes kills Storm Shadow, after it is revealed that they trained together under the same ninja master, who Storm Shadow murdered. Snake Eyes then kills Storm Shadow.

Bazooka was also killed in that cartoon.

Quite a change from the comics, where it took like three years before a Joe was killed off for real, and it was General Flagg, and it took atleast 14 issues before that story line was resolved.

Smith, how can you be so cruel and insentive? I already have to deal with Duke being portrayed by a male stripper.

S&Wshooter 04-03-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 38525)
Smith, how can you be so cruel and insentive?

Dammit, someone's killed SPEMack and replaced him with a double. One of y'all go get the axe


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.