imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Evil Tim 02-11-2013 01:23 PM

Something that bugs me is bad console conversions with no FOV settings. Like Crysis 2, which I was playing though yesterday. It's always annoyed me how big the guns appear in that game, so I figured I'd try to get the guns about the same size in screenshots from it and its predecessor and see what that got me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psd823aa2e.jpg

And if anything I'm being too nice to Crysis 2 there because the SCAR is still bigger. Supposedly this is because console gamers sit on the other side of the room rather than in front of the monitor. Actually this is because they want to draw as little as possible to take the load off the hardware and made a halfassed PC conversion.

Excalibur 02-11-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37982)
And if anything I'm being too nice to Crysis 2 there because the SCAR is still bigger. Supposedly this is because console gamers sit on the other side of the room rather than in front of the monitor

I tend to sit dead center of my screen.

Evil Tim 02-11-2013 07:25 PM

Playing through again I'm very much reminded of how dumb the plot is, especially given it was written by a professional sci-fi author with an absurdly high opinion of himself. Starting with claiming the US government could somehow cover up an incident which happened right in front of observers from the UN and China, had extensive radio coverage and debate, and ended with a nuclear strike and the loss of the KPA and US' entire taskforces and two whole carrier battlegroups with all hands. And thousands of alien gunships streaming away from the island in all directions. Apparently neither North Korea, the UN, the actual natives of the Lingshan Islands, or the families of any of the deceased servicemen cared to enquire what had happened and nobody cared why a nuclear strike was ordered or why a -200 degree sphere of absolute coldness appeared just beforehand

TL:DR: Richard K. Morgan is a hack.

funkychinaman 02-11-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 37984)
Playing through again I'm very much reminded of how dumb the plot is, especially given it was written by a professional sci-fi author with an absurdly high opinion of himself. Starting with claiming the US government could somehow cover up an incident which happened right in front of observers from the UN and China, had extensive radio coverage and debate, and ended with a nuclear strike and the loss of the KPA and US' entire taskforces and two whole carrier battlegroups with all hands. And thousands of alien gunships streaming away from the island in all directions. Apparently neither North Korea, the UN, the actual natives of the Lingshan Islands, or the families of any of the deceased servicemen cared to enquire what had happened and nobody cared why a nuclear strike was ordered or why a -200 degree sphere of absolute coldness appeared just beforehand

TL:DR: Richard K. Morgan is a hack.

This is Crysis 2? I played a bit of Crysis 2, but I just couldn't get into it. I just remember fighting aliens in NYC. There must be a lot more game after that.

Evil Tim 02-11-2013 07:39 PM

Yeah, Crysis 2. Though since it ignores the original's plot except for a few elements and it's tone completely and has a totally different feel, I'm tempted to say Crysis 2 is called Warhead.

Basically to get the plot to the most overused city setting on Earth they ignore almost everything that happened in the original; it's so bad that at one point later on they actually show a cutscene from the first game and lie to you about what's happening in it.

Evil Tim 02-12-2013 06:28 AM

Well, Aliens: Colonial Marines was released on PC with no executable file on Steam, and still doesn't have one in the UK it seems.

How in the world do you make a mistake like that?

Excalibur 02-12-2013 06:57 PM

Playing Aliens CM and I am writing this while the game is paused. The game is so bad, it couldn't hold my attention long enough before I had to pause and write about it.

It's cool that I could carry ALL the weapons in the game on me, but attachments can only be added if you unlock points which you get doing challenges.

The graphics are horrible. I mean, these look like the graphics from the Alpha images we got a look at over a year ago! Everything looks very dated.

Why are we shooting at people? The purpose of an Aliens game is that we shoot at Aliens, which means mostly Xenos and occasionally a Predator here to do a crossover. We get to shoot at people?

I can't even begin with the story...

funkychinaman 02-12-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38002)
Playing Aliens CM and I am writing this while the game is paused. The game is so bad, it couldn't hold my attention long enough before I had to pause and write about it.

It's cool that I could carry ALL the weapons in the game on me, but attachments can only be added if you unlock points which you get doing challenges.

The graphics are horrible. I mean, these look like the graphics from the Alpha images we got a look at over a year ago! Everything looks very dated.

Why are we shooting at people? The purpose of an Aliens game is that we shoot at Aliens, which means mostly Xenos and occasionally a Predator here to do a crossover. We get to shoot at people?

I can't even begin with the story...

Seven years and that's the best they could do?

S&Wshooter 02-12-2013 09:44 PM

I just got it, and half of my pre-order bonus codes don't work

S&Wshooter 02-13-2013 03:58 AM

I just gibbed a We-Yu merc with Gorman's VP70. I don't see how that works

Excalibur 02-13-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 38007)
I just gibbed a We-Yu merc with Gorman's VP70. I don't see how that works

Apparently Vasquez's handgun is another 1911...even though we know it wasn't.

funkychinaman 02-13-2013 04:11 AM

So I guess that's going to be a page that'll be incomplete for a long time.

funkychinaman 02-13-2013 04:17 AM

I was skeptical that ONLY 60% of gamers said they'd never buy a console that didn't allow used games, but the Kotaku poll is pretty close, with 65% voting no.

And to top that off, it looks like the next generation of consoles probably won't be backwards compatible.

S&Wshooter 02-13-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38008)
Apparently Vasquez's handgun is another 1911...even though we know it wasn't.

Yup. I was kinda hoping to run around and pop people with a sweet Model 39, but I guess that's not happening

S&Wshooter 02-13-2013 04:24 AM

The auto shotgun is like "Yo dawg, I heard you like shotguns, so I put a shotgun in your shotgun so you can shotgun while you shotgun"

Evil Tim 02-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38003)
Seven years and that's the best they could do?

Well come on, a game that's stuck in development hell for seven years has something very badly wrong with it, the best you can hope for is that the guys tasked with finishing it can pull it through in a reasonably functional and playable state (eg Body Harvest or Dark Sector) which will result in a good-but-flawed game.

When it became obvious that Aliens: Colonial Marines was being postponed every time another major FPS came out that kind of set off alarm bells for me.

Excalibur 02-13-2013 05:18 PM

There's a lot of in game things it took from other shooter series that was clearly a last minute add on. The challenges from Call of Duty, the attachment system being earned through points throughout the game which is like Crysis 2. O'Neal looks like Frank Woods from Black Ops.

We are shooting at people! This is an Aliens game. We fight Aliens. I don't want to fight some bullshit PMC guy the villains pulled out their asses. How does that work anyway? Does Weyland have a number he calls like 1-800-henchmen and pay them lots of money to shoot at US Marines. I was always under the impression that the "Corporation" in these kinds of movie sorta own the military. It doesn't make sense. Dear God the story sucks.

Every time your captain says "We have 100 Marines to get off this planet", I look around the room...dude, all I've seen so far is like 6 Marines. There is no rank structure at all. Your character is a corporal but the captain talks to him like you're supposed to be of someone higher ranked and there are no sgts, no lieutenants in the squads. And when Hicks showed up, they called him a "soldier"

Evil Tim 02-13-2013 06:34 PM

I'm fairly sure there were human enemies in the Marine campaign in AVP2, though it's been a while, and it's kind of dumb for a company to hire another company to provide security rather than just having their own like W-Y has had in every other Aliens adaptation ever. I just found it funny that once again Weyland-Yutani are going for the Steve Irwin school of dealing with hideous aliens. "These are the most dangerous life form we've ever seen! Let's try poking them with a stick."

Also the "scary" ones walking like leperous T-rexes was hilarious.

k9870 02-13-2013 07:14 PM

i wanted aliens to be good, i put it in for rental ongamefly but wont buy

i hope the tyranny of king washington is a good expansion to ac3, alternate history is fun

S&Wshooter 02-13-2013 07:15 PM

Colonial Marines was not as good as it should have been, and it wasn't worth what I paid for it, but I liked it better than the last couple cookie-cutter FPS' that I've played through

Excalibur 02-13-2013 07:17 PM

Homefront was a better shooter and it had really bad story telling, but at least the gameplay was good.

S&Wshooter 02-13-2013 07:22 PM

Not enough people got head-bit

funkychinaman 02-14-2013 03:24 AM

Yikes.

Surprisingly, the next lowest is Die Hard with a Vengeance, not Die Hard 2, which most people seem to dislike the most, or Die Hard 4, which I dislike the most.

S&Wshooter 02-17-2013 08:51 AM

"Alex Cross" is pretty much a 1:30-ish Cadillac commercial

Spartan198 02-17-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38032)

Audience rating, which I'm more inclined to pay attention to, is much higher, suggesting more people liked it than not liked it.

funkychinaman 02-17-2013 09:52 PM

Not a real upcoming movie, but I'd wait in line to watch it.

k9870 02-17-2013 11:51 PM

Yeah, its supposed to be a fun, entertaining movie, not one with deep thoughts and themes or oscar worthy acting. I'll see it, ive liked every die hard.

The Wierd It 02-18-2013 09:30 AM

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States"

Evil Tim 02-18-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 38068)
"Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States"

That's nothing, it tells me I'm using an anonymous proxy tool.

Excalibur 02-18-2013 03:43 PM

So I've finished playing Dead Space 3 and trying it in Co Op. It's a good game. A lot better than Colonial Marines. I do argue against the cheesy cliche religious fanatic villain because...it seems very out of place compared to previous games but other than that, the game's pretty solid and the co op mode so far is pretty good, though a lot of the tight quarters work against co op because more than one time we actually struggle to go through doorways.

funkychinaman 02-18-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 38068)
"Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States"

Sorry for the Hulu link. It might be on youtube, but it won't be for long.

Evil Tim 02-18-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38071)
So I've finished playing Dead Space 3 and trying it in Co Op. It's a good game. A lot better than Colonial Marines. I do argue against the cheesy cliche religious fanatic villain because...it seems very out of place compared to previous games

Um, wasn't the bad guy in the original a silly Iranian religious fanatic doctor with an Elmer Fudd voice that made him impossible to take seriously?

Because I beweve. Do you beweve? Do you, Tewwenfth?

k9870 02-19-2013 01:44 PM

Cars in the shop so im going to play the tyrrany of king washington, since i cant go pick up crysis 3

Excalibur 02-22-2013 05:55 AM

I've just finished Crysis 3 and damn I wished Aliens CM's game play was this good. I had a fun time but the story was...confusing.

Now I'm playing MGS Rising Revengence

k9870 02-25-2013 08:19 PM

i wanted the tyrrany of king washington to be awesome, but it was all frontier gameplay, you didnt get to see any of the cities.

Spartan198 02-26-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 38114)
i wanted the tyrrany of king washington to be awesome, but it was all frontier gameplay, you didnt get to see any of the cities.

This is just the first of three parts to it, isn't it?

k9870 02-26-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38115)
This is just the first of three parts to it, isn't it?

yes, but a fairly weak intro, hope the rest is better

Spartan198 02-26-2013 07:31 AM

Olympus Has Fallen looks like it might be pretty good.

Excalibur 02-26-2013 11:53 AM

Olympus Has Fallen...the joke is "This is The White House!"

SPEMack618 02-26-2013 04:27 PM

Yeah, it looks like it might be good, provided I can supress my urges to shout how stupid various things are.

But I like all three of the main actors.

I mean SSgt Nantz, King Leonidas, and Dr. Fox? What can possibly go wrong?

And the new Tommy Lee Jones movie where he plays General of the Army MacArthur looks good.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.