imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Glock Gen 5 to be available soon (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2528)

Spartan198 08-29-2017 01:14 PM

Glock Gen 5 to be available soon

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter

It's basically just the same as their -M series military/LE pistols, though.

Excalibur 08-29-2017 06:54 PM

Not really impressed. If they somehow many the mag release button ambi instead of just reversible, I'd be a bit more impressed. They didn't follow the trend of front cocking serrations even though they are releasing Gen 4s with them. They could have made the peep holes in the mag bigger

Mazryonh 08-30-2017 12:58 AM

What kind of perfection needs 5 versions to get right?

Why, it's "Glock Perfection," of course!

Does the Gen 5 release mean that Gen 4's production time will be short-lived?

Jcordell 08-30-2017 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazryonh (Post 43767)
What kind of perfection needs 5 versions to get right?

Why, it's "Glock Perfection," of course!

I like my G19 Gen 4. I hope my agency lets us older officers keep the Gen 4.

Excalibur 08-30-2017 08:46 PM

I just recently test fire this gun at my local gun range. I shot the G19 one.

Didn't noticed the lack of finger grooves much, but the flared magwell did force my grip to change just a bit. The gap in the front bottom of the grip is noticeable. Other than the orange follower that reminded me of the Glock mags, there's nothing really different. My shots are pretty descent so I did not notice anything real different, though I hate the Glock sights since I don't have them on my G19. Everything else about it feels the same. I didn't accidentally hold the slide stop up by accident. The present of an ambi slide stop was a bit irrelevant to me since I don't use the slide stop to release it during reloads. I understand why but without the present of a true ambi mag release, I feel this thing was half designed and they just slapped whatever was easier for their factory to make.

MT2008 10-10-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 43763)
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter

It's basically just the same as their -M series military/LE pistols, though.

Actually, the Gen 5 and the "M" series are not the same, contrary to my expectations (I would have figured that "M" was just an early designation for the FBI's Gen 5 guns before the latter hit the commercial market). I had the chance to handle both versions at a trade show recently, and I asked the Glock rep what's the difference. The "M" series have different barrels and different finishes on most of the parts than the Gen 5. I personally couldn't see any difference other than slide markings, even when I held a -17M and a -17 Gen 5 in each hand, but I trust that the guy knew what he was talking about.

Personally, I'm glad that they finally got rid of the finger grooves (aside from reminding me of the Gen 2s, it simply feels better in my hand), but there are still some things I feel could have been done better. I don't know why they haven't standardized extended slide releases yet, for example - the factory slide releases have always been too small. I'm debating whether to buy a Gen 5 G19, which would be the first G19 I own. (Right now, I have all the other major 9mm variants except the -19.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazryonh (Post 43767)

I doubt it; they haven't even stopped producing most of the Gen 3 models yet (which is impressive, when you consider that the Gen 3s have been around since the Clinton White House). Also, I asked if there were plans to introduce the .40-caliber models in Gen 5, and the Glock rep told me probably not yet - because they also got rid of the locking block pin (another throwback to the Gen 2 days), which was primarily added for the .40-caliber and .357 SIG Glocks. So at the very least, they'll have to keep producing Gen 4 Glocks in the larger calibers until they solve the engineering challenges associated with removing the locking block pin on the 9mm Gen 5s.

Jcordell 10-10-2017 11:12 PM

There comes a time in one's life when it just isn't important to buy the next year's model. Unless I have no choice I'm sticking with my G19-gen 4. I can start collecting my full pension on July 1, 2024. I don't see the need for the next variation with only 7 years left. Do I really have to change models....again? :rolleyes:

Spartan198 10-11-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 43855)
There comes a time in one's life when it just isn't important to buy the next year's model. Unless I have no choice I'm sticking with my G19-gen 4. I can start collecting my full pension on July 1, 2024. I don't see the need for the next variation with only 7 years left. Do I really have to change models....again? :rolleyes:

Ultimately, they're both just [insert preferred caliber] pistols and a Gen 5 probably isn't going to be any better or worse than a 3 or 4.

I'm personally too obsessed with the P320 right now to be concerned with another Glock. :D

Jcordell 10-11-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 43858)
Ultimately, they're both just [insert preferred caliber] pistols and a Gen 5 probably isn't going to be any better or worse than a 3 or 4.

I'm personally too obsessed with the P320 right now to be concerned with another Glock. :D

I get it. The G19 is one of my work-tools. My interest is revolvers. Don't care about the little tweaks that Glock is doing. Hopefully my agency will just leave my gen-4 with me. When the New York Times ran an in-depth article on the old NYPD officers who were still carrying revolvers (December 2004) I thought the old-timers were odd. Well guess what? Thirteen years later I'm older and I get it. I'll stick with what I've been carrying for many years now. Thanks.

Excalibur 10-12-2017 04:58 AM

Since I carry a Glock 19, a "newer" model would interest me, but the Gen 5 is a real bore now that I look deeper into it. I don't like the cut in the front bottom of the grip because I don't strip a stuck mag from there. I pinch the sides of the base plate and pull down. The flared magwell kinda makes it harder to seat flush mags if you don't send it home hard enough.

S&Wshooter 10-17-2017 07:51 PM

I heard a few places that the little grip cut out is annoying

MT2008 02-03-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 43862)
I heard a few places that the little grip cut out is annoying

Not sure why; the Gen 2s and most Gen 3s had the grip cutout, and it never seemed to bother anybody. It has never bothered me on my G17, which is a Gen 2, though the -17 is also the Glock I shoot least.

I guess I can see how it would be annoying on a shorter grip, like that of a G19, especially for anyone with bigger hands.

S&Wshooter 02-10-2018 04:27 PM

So is the Gen 5 9mm only for the time being?

MT2008 02-11-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44072)
So is the Gen 5 9mm only for the time being?

Very likely, for the reason I mentioned in a previous post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 43854)
I asked if there were plans to introduce the .40-caliber models in Gen 5, and the Glock rep told me probably not yet - because they also got rid of the locking block pin (another throwback to the Gen 2 days), which was primarily added for the .40-caliber and .357 SIG Glocks. So at the very least, they'll have to keep producing Gen 4 Glocks in the larger calibers until they solve the engineering challenges associated with removing the locking block pin on the 9mm Gen 5s.

Excalibur 02-12-2018 11:06 PM

Since I don't have a G26, I'll just get it in Gen 5

S&Wshooter 02-13-2018 01:04 AM

I mean, I can see why they wouldn't make .40's, but c'mon now get them 10mms and .45s out on the market, Gaston

MT2008 02-15-2018 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 44089)
I mean, I can see why they wouldn't make .40's, but c'mon now get them 10mms and .45s out on the market, Gaston

While Glock doesn’t release sales data, I imagine that their .40 S&W pistols are still outselling the 10mm and .45 ACP models (though of course, sales have probably started dropping since the market is moving away from .40). So economically, it would make more sense to produce the .40s first.

S&Wshooter 02-15-2018 04:38 AM

Yeah but everyone needs a longslide 10mm or .45, even if they don't know it yet

MT2008 11-22-2020 01:34 AM

So...three years after the Gen 5s hit the consumer market, Glock has finally (and quietly) started releasing .40-caliber Gen 5 models as of last month (it was previously announced back in July). This has been accompanied by an announcement that they plan to end production of the 9mm and .40-caliber Gen 4s for the U.S. market; however, their web site still seems to indicate that the Gen 3s and Gen 4s remain in production as of now.

Meanwhile, now that they put out the limited production P80s, I'm hoping that they'll do another limited production run of Gen 2s for those of us who are nostalgic for the 1990s. :D

Jcordell 11-24-2020 05:35 AM

I retire in 4.5 years. I don't plan in trading my Gen 4 GLOCK 19 for a Gen 5. Don't see a reason to do that. Hopefully my department will just let this grumpy old officer have his way.

MT2008 11-26-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 45175)
I retire in 4.5 years. I don't plan in trading my Gen 4 GLOCK 19 for a Gen 5. Don't see a reason to do that. Hopefully my department will just let this grumpy old officer have his way.

Guess it depends on whether it means a lot to you to have a grip with no finger grooves and/or an ambi slide release. Does your department even have plans to make a purchase of Gen 5s any time soon? Where I live, I still see most officers carrying Gen 4 Glocks, even though the Gen 5s have been out for several years now. I feel like the Gen 5s have not sold nearly as well to local and state law enforcement as the Gen 3s and 4s, though I'm basing that conclusion on observation, not data.

Spartan198 11-26-2020 05:06 PM

It's hilarious how many times Glock has revised and improved "perfection," isn't it? ;)

Jcordell 12-14-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 45177)
Guess it depends on whether it means a lot to you to have a grip with no finger grooves and/or an ambi slide release. Does your department even have plans to make a purchase of Gen 5s any time soon? Where I live, I still see most officers carrying Gen 4 Glocks, even though the Gen 5s have been out for several years now. I feel like the Gen 5s have not sold nearly as well to local and state law enforcement as the Gen 3s and 4s, though I'm basing that conclusion on observation, not data.

I switched the mag release to the right side of my pistol (since I shoot with my left) and I don't use the slide release lever (I use the overhand technique). I also prefer the finger grooves. They work for me. Since my last post I learned that my agency is switching over to the GLOCK Model 45 (9mm) and a few of our new officers are already carrying the G45.

The only detectives who are slated to get the G45 are the ones still carrying the various 45acp Glock models. Mostly the G36 and a couple are hauling around the G21! Those of us who carry the G19 will continue to carry it.

Eventually all the uniformed officers will carry the G45. A few detectives have asked if they can purchase the G45 and they have been told no; the G36 guys have to wait to be issued the G45. I don't think they would be able to get one right now even if the department said yes to private purchases.

Excalibur 12-16-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 45178)
It's hilarious how many times Glock has revised and improved "perfection," isn't it? ;)

I think a more accurate motto is "proven".

MT2008 12-28-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 45181)
I switched the mag release to the right side of my pistol (since I shoot with my left) and I don't use the slide release lever (I use the overhand technique). I also prefer the finger grooves. They work for me. Since my last post I learned that my agency is switching over to the GLOCK Model 45 (9mm) and a few of our new officers are already carrying the G45.

Yeah, I hear ya. Though I don't like using the slightshot reloading technique in most circumstances (even though there are Glock fanboys who insist that this is the way Glocks are meant to be reloaded, hence why Glock still hasn't standardized longer slide stops, i.e. slide releases).

Finger grooves, I'm kinda divided. I like how the straight frontstrap looks much better, but the grooves work fine for me, so I've never taken them off the Glocks I own that have them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcordell (Post 45181)
The only detectives who are slated to get the G45 are the ones still carrying the various 45acp Glock models. Mostly the G36 and a couple are hauling around the G21! Those of us who carry the G19 will continue to carry it.

Eventually all the uniformed officers will carry the G45. A few detectives have asked if they can purchase the G45 and they have been told no; the G36 guys have to wait to be issued the G45. I don't think they would be able to get one right now even if the department said yes to private purchases.

G45 should be a good choice, but yeah, good luck to them trying to find one right now. (I considered buying one myself a few months back, and they were out of stock everywhere.)