imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 08-21-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 39542)
*Tries desperately to forget Rambo: The Force of Freedom ever happened*

Holy crap, I *DID* totally forget about that! Ah, the heady days of the eighties and early nineties when you can adapt a violent rated R movie into a children's cartoon series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLop82LjV48

NOTHING IS OVER! NOTHING!

funkychinaman 08-23-2013 02:36 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...atman/2690301/

He may be a great director now, but I'm not sure he's improved as an actor since Daredevil or The Sum of All Fears.

predator20 08-23-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39547)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...atman/2690301/

He may be a great director now, but I'm not sure he's improved as an actor since Daredevil or The Sum of All Fears.

God help us.

S&Wshooter 08-23-2013 04:05 AM

I don't even give a shit about Batman, but c'mon

funkychinaman 08-23-2013 04:10 PM

The reaction to the Ben Affleck/Batman announcement has been overwhelming. I was just disappointed and puzzled. Most people seem to be outraged.

commando552 08-23-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39551)
The reaction to the Ben Affleck/Batman announcement has been overwhelming. I was just disappointed and puzzled. Most people seem to be outraged.

It's pretty much just the Daredevil thing I reckon (to be fair, Affleck's acting was by far not the only reason that film was a failure). TBH, I think it is OK. If he works out a bit he will look the part, particularly the Bruce Wayne half. However, especially considering what they were saying about wanting an older Batman I was hoping for someone a bit "toughter", like Jeffrey Dean Morgan or Josh Brolin, more of a "Dark Knight Returns" Batman.

commando552 08-23-2013 05:07 PM

Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming film called "The Englishman"? It is an adaptation of the Will Scully novel "Once a Pilgrim", the true story of an ex SAS military contractor who is in Sierra Leone during the 1997 coup and ends up defending a hotel full of various foreigners from rampaging militia until they can be evacuated. Could make for a really good story if done right, only thing I can find out about it is that it will be directed by John Moore who did Die Hard 5 which has me worried though.

funkychinaman 08-23-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39553)
Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming film called "The Englishman"? It is an adaptation of the Will Scully novel "Once a Pilgrim", the true story of an ex SAS military contractor who is in Sierra Leone during the 1997 coup and ends up defending a hotel full of various foreigners from rampaging militia until they can be evacuated. Could make for a really good story if done right, only thing I can find out about it is that it will be directed by John Moore who did Die Hard 5 which has me worried though.

Oh come on, John Moore also did Max Payne, Behind Enemy Lines, oh okay, I see what you mean there...

Spartan198 08-24-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39551)
The reaction to the Ben Affleck/Batman announcement has been overwhelming. I was just disappointed and puzzled. Most people seem to be outraged.

The more I think about it, I'm willing to give them some slack (though I'm by no means happy with the choice) because they're following the Nolan trilogy which, while it has its flaws, pretty much blew every live action adaption of the character out of the water IMO. Not an easy task.

funkychinaman 08-24-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 39555)
The more I think about it, I'm willing to give them some slack (though I'm by no means happy with the choice) because they're following the Nolan trilogy which, while it has its flaws, pretty much blew every live action adaption of the character out of the water IMO. Not an easy task.

I've always argued that the Nolan trilogy killed the Batman movie franchise, because it set the bar way too high, like Aliens or Terminator 2 did with their franchises.

funkychinaman 08-29-2013 03:22 AM

http://io9.com/the-dinobots-are-goin...oba-1216027709

So how will Michael Bay ruin the Dinobots?

Chitoryu12 08-29-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39462)
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00061039.html

I know Winter Soldier in the comics has a bionic arm, because Bucky lost his arm before he "died." But I don't recall Bucky losing his arm in the movie. Didn't he just plunge into the abyss?

He fell off a train and then off a cliff into a rocky abyss. What do you think his arm looked like when they pulled him out?

funkychinaman 08-29-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 (Post 39562)
He fell off a train and then off a cliff into a rocky abyss. What do you think his arm looked like when they pulled him out?

I imagine his arm would be in the same condition as his other three limbs.

funkychinaman 08-29-2013 04:44 PM

http://marvel.com/news/story/21099/e...#ixzz2dNC6HN6j

I don't know what to make of this. I don't think I saw him in anything between Stargate and The Office. If he's villainous, it's only in a creepy sort of way.

Swordfish941 08-30-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39564)
http://marvel.com/news/story/21099/e...#ixzz2dNC6HN6j

I don't know what to make of this. I don't think I saw him in anything between Stargate and The Office. If he's villainous, it's only in a creepy sort of way.

I prefer Brent Spiner or Lance Henrikson.

funkychinaman 08-30-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 39565)
I prefer Brent Spiner or Lance Henrikson.

I don't think it has to be someone with experience playing robots, but if it's just a voice role, Henrikson has a great voice.

funkychinaman 09-03-2013 10:29 PM

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108456

So they're going to have the British actor play the American guy, and the American actor play the Russian guy?

commando552 09-04-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39567)
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108456

So they're going to have the British actor play the American guy, and the American actor play the Russian guy?

Reminds me of Strike Back, where an American plays a Brit whilst an American is played by an Australian.

funkychinaman 09-04-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39568)
Reminds me of Strike Back, where an American plays a Brit whilst an American is played by an Australian.

Really? You usually only seen Brits playing Americans, and not the other way around. Is he any good at it?

Evil Tim 09-04-2013 01:22 PM

I picked up Call of Juarez: Gunslinger the other day, expecting it to be another bad game to schadenfreude my way through, and...It's actually really good, particularly for the price they're asking.

funkychinaman 09-04-2013 04:06 PM

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.260620700

For anyone interested, the MS store is offering GTA 5 for $60 with a $20 XBLA credit. (I don't know why they're still offering points, considering they killed off the points system last month.)

Excalibur 09-04-2013 04:18 PM

Money's been tight for me, so I'm just gonna rent it.

commando552 09-04-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39569)
Really? You usually only seen Brits playing Americans, and not the other way around. Is he any good at it?

I'm British and I didn't know he (Philip Winchester) was American before I read it, so I think so. The only thing I had seen him in before was Camelot, where he also played a Brit.

funkychinaman 09-04-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39573)
I'm British and I didn't know he (Philip Winchester) was American before I read it, so I think so. The only thing I had seen him in before was Camelot, where he also played a Brit.

His Wikipedia page says his mom was English and he moved to London after high school, so I guess that would explain how he could pull it off.

Some people take to it pretty quickly. I remember watching a documentary about Tornado pilots, and one of them was a US Navy pilot on an exchange program, and he already had some sort of hybrid American/English accent going.

funkychinaman 09-05-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39572)
Money's been tight for me, so I'm just gonna rent it.

It could take weeks to finish a game like GTA 5. I usually just wait a few months and get games used from Gamefly. They're usually in great shape and come with unused codes.

Spartan198 09-05-2013 04:26 AM

I'm getting the special edition at midnight on release day. That's how convinced I am that this game is going to be everything I'm expecting. This is going to be the longest 13 days of my life. :(

funkychinaman 09-06-2013 01:14 PM

The first trailer is the Robocop remake is out. I think the old Robocop actually has a cameo at the 28 second mark.

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/firs...obocop-remake/

Spartan198 09-07-2013 01:05 AM

I wonder if the Auto 9 will get an appearance somewhere, too.

Spartan198 09-07-2013 05:02 AM

The original Strike Back will be airing on Cinemax next month. Nice. :cool:

Excalibur 09-08-2013 02:14 AM

Awesome. It's been my new military action show since the Unit was cancelled

MT2008 09-08-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39573)
I'm British and I didn't know he (Philip Winchester) was American before I read it, so I think so. The only thing I had seen him in before was Camelot, where he also played a Brit.

Watch any of his interview videos that are posted on Strike Back's Facebook page. You can hear him speaking in his native American accent. Watch this one, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSmNbM6IhM

Another bit of trivia: His first acting role (when he was 17) was as a militiaman in the Steven Seagal movie "The Patriot".

Excalibur 09-09-2013 03:18 AM

So I've rewatched the new Robocop trailer. I think it has potential. It's a simple story which can be a good thing. If they focus on that tried and true story told countless time, it can be a good movie. I like how they got Gary Oldman in it but Sam Jackson is always going to play Sam Jackson.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 04:59 AM

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Blood Dragon are both half off on XBLA this week.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 07:21 PM

http://kotaku.com/if-you-thought-you...wer-1283993902

From just this trailer, Ghosts seems like it could just as easily just be a direct sequel to Black Ops 2 rather than the start of what I presume will be a new trilogy.

Excalibur 09-10-2013 08:09 PM

Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

funkychinaman 09-10-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39609)
Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

Oh I know that, I just thought it was odd how it seemed to correlate with the ending of BO2.

And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.

Evil Tim 09-11-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39610)
And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.

I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred. :D

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.

funkychinaman 09-11-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39613)
I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred. :D

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.

I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock

Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.

Evil Tim 09-11-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39614)
I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock

They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.

But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39614)
Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.

I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.

funkychinaman 09-11-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39617)
They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.

I just remember playing that section and thinking "I'm playing a war crimes simulation." (And then at the end of the game, "I just helped drop the Iron Curtain. What the hell is wrong with this game?")

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39617)
But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.

What the hell, what happened to campaign co-op? I was so disappointed when I realized that BO didn't have it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39617)
I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.

It's a shame they didn't incorporate that with SmartGlass. (I don't know what the Sony equivalent of that would be.)


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.