imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   any experience with new Mini 14s (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1097)

k9870 06-12-2010 10:53 PM

any experience with new Mini 14s

I just took hunters safety and am looking at a cyote rifle. a .223 or 22-250. A bolt gun would be good but they cost the same as a mini, then you add glass rings base etc, its a lot. I was thinking maybe an all weather ranch rifle would be good. Ive heard there 2'' rifles at 100, perfectly fine with me, there rugged, and have nice sights for what i need. i know other people hunted with them too. My state allows 5 round mags, which for the mini are plentiful. Anyone use the newer ones, especially for hunting?

predator20 06-12-2010 11:32 PM

I haven't had any experience hunting with mine. If you go with the Ranch (which is what mine is) you a 18" barrel versus 16" that's on the Tactical. I have Bushnell red-dot on mine. If you're shooting less than 100 yards, that's really all you need. Even though I can still be half ass with the standard irons. The flash hider is Choate that's made for the older thinner barrels, had to cut of the back end off it to fit. I wish I would have waited and got the tactical. Would have saved about $150 (bought mine during the peak gun sales) and then purchased a factory wood stock for it. It also would have came with a flash hider from the factory.

I enjoy the hell out of mine, either way.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User:Predator20#Rifles

k9870 06-12-2010 11:48 PM

Hows the trigger? Ive heard horror stories of old minis but the new ones ive heard have about 7 pound pulls, which is about an ar-15 pull

predator20 06-13-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14421)
Hows the trigger? Ive heard horror stories of old minis but the new ones ive heard have about 7 pound pulls, which is about an ar-15 pull

No complaints on the trigger.

k9870 06-13-2010 12:43 AM

There single stage triggers right?\

BTW, how do you adjust sights, since theres no knobs, do you need to buy a tool, or is it included? Any problems with heavier (like 75gr) ammo?

S&Wshooter 06-13-2010 01:03 AM

I shot one ONCE and it was OK

predator20 06-13-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14423)
There single stage triggers right?\

BTW, how do you adjust sights, since theres no knobs, do you need to buy a tool, or is it included? Any problems with heavier (like 75gr) ammo?

I guess the trigger is single stage.

You use a hex wrench to adjust the sights. I can't remember if one came with it or not.

I have only shot PMC .223 55gr. through mine. My FFL guy said on his older Mini because of the rifling twist it didn't work well with the heavier grain stuff. The newer ones are 1 in 9. I have no idea what the older ones were, but the thinner barrels could have also been a factor.

Nyles 06-13-2010 05:55 AM

I sold a few of the new Mini-14s when I worked at Cabela's, wasn't impressed with them. Only positive feedback I ever got on one was the heavy-barrelled match version with the muzzle weight, and even then no serious match shooter would touch them. The rifle has a pretty bad reputation in general for accuracy.

I can see it as a truck gun, espescially if you're a farmer and just using it for pest control, but if you're at all serious about shooting coyotes you'll want a bolt gun. If you're on a budget, get a Savage (best out of the box accuracy in that price range) and a not-entirely-crappy scope, then upgrade the glass when you've got the cash to spare. I have a buddy who was taking yotes at 800M with his .22-250 model 11.

Depending on what the 10 XP Predator combos are selling for in the states, it's actually not a terrible scope on them. You'll never get a good scope in a combo but you could do alot worse (namely the Remington 770, which is awful).