imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Composite Pistol in "In the Line of Fire" (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2188)

2wingo 04-08-2013 11:12 PM

Composite Pistol in "In the Line of Fire"

Does anyone know exactly why it had to be destroyed after filming?

The Wierd It 04-08-2013 11:46 PM

Legal issues, apparently.

Spartan198 04-08-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 38602)
Legal issues, apparently.

What those legal issues were, is what 2wingo's question is. And one I kind of share.

commando552 04-09-2013 12:25 AM

I imagine there are two parts to this. Firstly there is the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988" which would make possession of the pistol illegal in the US (building such a pistol is illegal as well, I'm assuming the production either got a special exemption or it was exempt due to it being for theatrical usage). Secondly the gun was sold as a movie prop (I believe the picture is from the auction listing) rather than as a functional firearm (which would have been much more legally complicated) so it had to be deactivated first. When the pistol was sold I believe it had velcro pads so that it could be stuck back together in the shape of the original gun.

BlackIce_GTS 04-10-2013 04:21 AM

Oh, I'd never considered before that the thing actually worked, I just thought it was a full scale plastic model of a gun designed by a five year old.
I suppose making it fire blanks was the easiest option, seeing that the movie predated Adobe Muzzle Flash PRO.

commando552 04-10-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS (Post 38647)
Oh, I'd never considered before that the thing actually worked, I just thought it was a full scale plastic model of a gun designed by a five year old.
I suppose making it fire blanks was the easiest option, seeing that the movie predated Adobe Muzzle Flash PRO.

The other thing with the gun which may have made it legally "tricky" is that as it is a simple break open single action gun, if it was capable of firing blanks then it probably would have been capable of firing live rounds. The gun might have destroyed itself after the first shot, but it would have worked.

MoviePropMaster2008 04-12-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38606)
I imagine there are two parts to this. Firstly there is the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988"

I remember that. It came from the Bullshit urban legend that the GLOCK was invisible to Airport metal detectors, remember those days? the gun control idiots got a lot of mileage from that one, even though NOW, most police departments use the Glock.

It expired in 1998 but was re-authorized in 2003 and is set to expire this december (2013). With the advent of 3-D printing, you KNOW, some idiot politician is going to make a law banning the mythological all plastic gun again..... :D

2wingo 04-13-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 38684)
I remember that. It came from the Bullshit urban legend that the GLOCK was invisible to Airport metal detectors, remember those days? the gun control idiots got a lot of mileage from that one, even though NOW, most police departments use the Glock.

It expired in 1998 but was re-authorized in 2003 and is set to expire this december (2013). With the advent of 3-D printing, you KNOW, some idiot politician is going to make a law banning the mythological all plastic gun again..... :D

What exactly IS 3D-printing, vis-a-vis guns, and why is everyone in an uproar about it?

funkychinaman 04-13-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2wingo (Post 38686)
What exactly IS 3D-printing, vis-a-vis guns, and why is everyone in an uproar about it?

A 3-D printer can basically create anything out of plastic, including high capacity magazines and gun parts. This would render many gun control measures moot.

2wingo 04-13-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38687)
A 3-D printer can basically create anything out of plastic, including high capacity magazines and gun parts. This would render many gun control measures moot.

That doesn't seem like it could make a very GOOD gun. I mean, there are certain things you just can't do with plastic. Even Glocks have a bunch of metal parts in them.