imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

S&Wshooter 07-20-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39379)
My buddy and I are still waiting for the prices to drop on Army of Two: Devil's Cartel and Gow: Judgment, so I decided to check XBox Live activity just to see how popular they are.

Bought it today so my buddy and I would have something to do. It's pretty fun (I definitely feel like I got my $30 worth), and I personally like it somewhat more than the previous two. It isn't really anything particularly special, but it's certainly worth a look

funkychinaman 07-20-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39401)
Bought it today so my buddy and I would have something to do. It's pretty fun (I definitely feel like I got my $30 worth), and I personally like it somewhat more than the previous two. It isn't really anything particularly special, but it's certainly worth a look

My buddy and I were fans of the previous two games. And you're right, the universal opinion appears to be that the games in the series are the greatest $30 games ever. It's just too bad they're asking $60 for them.

Excalibur 07-26-2013 02:54 AM

The Pacific Rim was a fun movie to watch and enjoy. I really had a great time.

Spartan198 07-27-2013 03:01 PM

*Sigh* Why won't September 17th get here faster? :(

Excalibur 07-27-2013 04:06 PM

The Wolverine was pretty good. A LOT better than the other one

Evil Tim 07-29-2013 11:17 PM

One thing I've never really worked out in Spec Ops: The Line...

...Just why were they trying to evacuate a coastal city by air?

The Wierd It 07-30-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39445)
One thing I've never really worked out in Spec Ops: The Line...

...Just why were they trying to evacuate a coastal city by air?

Because Idiot Ball.

Or Because DA PLOT REQUIRES IT.

Evil Tim 07-30-2013 12:35 AM

I'm reading up on it and I'm amazed how many people go with the "CoD is jingoistic Americans shootan" angle, to the point I wonder if they every paid attention in any CoD game they might have played.

IW seem to have designed the original CoD as a response to "Americans in other people's history" in Medal of Honor, where even in the Russian levels in Spearhead you're somehow still an American. If you actually look at the original CoD, the American campaign is the smallest scale; the most major thing is Brecourt Manor, while the Soviets get Stalingrad and Berlin and the British get ridiculously daring raids and a solo attack on a battleship.

It even carries over to Modern Warfare where generally the US characters achieve the least and the things they do achieve have the least effect on the overall plot. The US campaign in CoD 4 is a rushed, confused action that ultimately causes every single bad thing that happens in the rest of the series, the only thing an American player character in MW2 achieves that has effects outside the US causes everything bad that happens in MW2 and 3, and Frost in 3 fails at the only real job he's given to do with effects outside the US (rescuing the Russian president's daughter) and leaves the British / Russian team to pick up the pieces.

Um...Hooray?

funkychinaman 07-30-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39448)
I'm reading up on it and I'm amazed how many people go with the "CoD is jingoistic Americans shootan" angle, to the point I wonder if they every paid attention in any CoD game they might have played.

IW seem to have designed the original CoD as a response to "Americans in other people's history" in Medal of Honor, where even in the Russian levels in Spearhead you're somehow still an American. If you actually look at the original CoD, the American campaign is the smallest scale; the most major thing is Brecourt Manor, while the Soviets get Stalingrad and Berlin and the British get ridiculously daring raids and a solo attack on a battleship.

It even carries over to Modern Warfare where generally the US characters achieve the least and the things they do achieve have the least effect on the overall plot. The US campaign in CoD 4 is a rushed, confused action that ultimately causes every single bad thing that happens in the rest of the series, the only thing an American player character in MW2 achieves that has effects outside the US causes everything bad that happens in MW2 and 3, and Frost in 3 fails at the only real job he's given to do with effects outside the US (rescuing the Russian president's daughter) and leaves the British / Russian team to pick up the pieces.

Um...Hooray?

<<Spoiler>>

The villain in in MW2 was also an American, an American general no less.

I think it's an easier to argue that the Treyarch games are more jingoistic. That scene at the end of BO looked like it came out of an episode of GI Joe.

BlackIce_GTS 07-30-2013 09:26 AM

sssssssssssssspoilers:

Hudson: Hey, you! Sane the hell up!
Mason: Wow, that Russian was all in my head. Now I know!
Hudson: And knowing is half the battle.
<chorus>CoD Blaaack oooooooooooooops</chorus>