imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 05-04-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38940)
As do I, but knowing Hollywood, they'll try as hard as they can to turn it into another Green Zone.

I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.

Excalibur 05-05-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38941)
I don't know if Spielberg would do that. I do think he's more than capable of giving us "horrendously over-wrought into-spection into why war is bad" though.

Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies

Swordfish941 05-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38943)
Knowing Spielberg, he's gonna do a special edit where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies

I've seen that joke so many times its lost any of its funniness to me.

Chitoryu12 05-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38918)
Then you are playing the wrong game if all you care about is guns. The MGS series of games is part awesome gunplay and action and part really intense story telling.

The gunplay in MGS isn't even that awesome. It's primarily a stealth game, so no matter how much attention to detail they put into the guns and animations you're going to spend the vast majority of the gameplay not shooting anything, and only occasionally popping a guard in the back of the head when nobody else is around. In between arcadey boss fights against people with nanomachine magic or power armor.

Note how I said "most of the gameplay." If I said "most of the game", that post would have been about how you spend most of it watching the game play itself. MGS4 is the only game I know of that not only has enough cutscenes to fill about 5 feature films, but will give you control for literally 5 seconds before going into another cutscene.

SPEMack618 05-05-2013 05:28 PM

Honestly, that is the first time I've seen it in reference to anything, so I lol'ed a little bit.

Yeah, if Spielberg goes all angsty, hopefully it will be in regards to SOC Kyle and his personal life, which like most military families, had some rocky parts.

funkychinaman 05-05-2013 06:08 PM

Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.

Spartan198 05-05-2013 07:10 PM

I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.

funkychinaman 05-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38951)
I'm not so much worried about Spielberg mucking it up, but rather the higher-ups in Hollywood that will be funding it being the ones to do it.

The man does run his own studio, and he's produced most of his own movies in the past decade. He also produced Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, for what it's worth.

He's had his misses, but I think he's a had a fairly good track record with war movies. I'm looking forward to renting Lincoln soon.

Evil Tim 05-06-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38949)
Spielberg's justification for that was that he was disturbed that the government was willing to use guns against kids, and lest anyone forget, E.T. IS a kids movie. I'm fine with that, because...

...he's never pulled his punches in any of his war movies. Melish's death in Saving Private Ryan was one of the most disturbing death scenes in ANY war movie I've ever seen, and the Omaha beach scene set a new bar for war movies.

Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.

funkychinaman 05-06-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 38959)
Well, he did do the same in Jurassic Park where at no point in any of the three movies does anyone use a firearm effectively and he kills off mean gun-user Muldoon in the first movie even though he survived in the book.

Hammond and Malcolm died in the book, and lived in the movie, so that's a tradeoff. And it'd kind of take away from the suspense if you could just shoot the dinosaurs wouldn't it? Halloween and Friday the 13th would've been over in minutes if Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees couldn't shrug off bullet wounds.

(BTW, there are FIFTY titles in the Spielberg category, and 24 of them are features directed by him. That is mind-blowing.)