imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Game development copyright issues (Gun related) (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1564)

Kirill 01-15-2011 09:25 AM

Game development copyright issues (Gun related)

Hi, I got an interesting question. For games like Counter-Strike for example, they rename firearms such as the Glock 18
to "9x19mm Sidearm". I believe that is to avoid copyright issues.

But isn't the ingame model you see the same as the real life counterpart? If the handgun model ingame looks similar to the real life
counterpart, wouldn't that be a copyright issue? I think I'm missing something here...

ManiacallyChallenged 01-15-2011 03:25 PM

Luckily for Counter Strike, the model isn't the same.
As in most shooters nowadays, gun models are made with certain parts flipped around. This is why ejection ports are on the left side in most games.
However, there are a lot of games that do get permission or licensing rights for the guns.

k9870 01-15-2011 04:03 PM

Do you really need a licence to call it it's name? And besides, what gun manufacturer will refuse FREE advertising?

Kirill 01-15-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 24328)
Luckily for Counter Strike, the model isn't the same.
As in most shooters nowadays, gun models are made with certain parts flipped around. This is why ejection ports are on the left side in most games.
However, there are a lot of games that do get permission or licensing rights for the guns.

Ah... so they change minor parts unseen by many. Interesting

Kirill 01-15-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 24330)
Do you really need a licence to call it it's name? And besides, what gun manufacturer will refuse FREE advertising?

That's what I realise for many games. They could've easily named an smg HK MP5 but no I don't see it. I've never seen a game that names a weapon exactly as the real counterpart. Counter-strike is a perfect example. Then I realise it actually has something to do with copyrights.

Archer 01-15-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirill (Post 24333)
That's what I realise for many games. They could've easily named an smg HK MP5 but no I don't see it. I've never seen a game that names a weapon exactly as the real counterpart. Counter-strike is a perfect example. Then I realise it actually has something to do with copyrights.

In resident Evil 5 most of the guns had authentic names, up to and including the manufacturer. The M9 in game was called the “Beretta M9F,” the P8 was called the “H&K P8,” the MP5 was called the “H&K MP5”. The weapon features where also realistic, you could even distinguish the P8 from a regular USP by the reversed safety lever. Most game developers take the “easy” way, but some do shell out the extra money for licensing rights to make the weapons head-to-toe legit. If you look closely at the pistol slides, you can even see authentic trademarks.

BeardedHoplite 01-16-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Maybe because if the gun's not depicted as the BFG people'll think it's bad, or something

MoviePropMaster2008 01-16-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Apparently you've never heard of the copyright wars between real gun makers and airsoft copies. That "Well it's free advertising" doesn't cut it with the lawyers of such gun makers as Heckler & Koch and Glock. Why do you think most Airsoft gun makers STOPPED making Glocks, because Glock copyrighted the SHAPE of the weapon. H&K did the same thing. Note that now the only approved weapons are those which pay a license fee to the original manufacturers. Why do you think that only a few of the AR-15 manufacturers are listed in Airsoft copies. Because those are the only companies who granted licenses to use their names/company logos.....

k9870 01-16-2011 05:49 AM

You can copyright shape?

funkychinaman 01-16-2011 07:03 AM

Since we're here, I read this a while ago, and I thought it was a bit strange. Maybe someone here can clarify this for me.

From Wikipedia, regarding the HK 416: "The project was originally called the HK M4, but this was changed in response to a trademark infringement suit filed by Colt Defense."

Wasn't M4 a military designation? Can you trademark that? I can understand trademarking a name that the company assigned it, like AR-15, Minimi, or USP, but it was the Army that named it the M4, was it not?